Gave up dairy for Lent

Options
Anyone else dairy free? I am a lover of all things cheese and yogurt. I already drink almond milk, but would love to hear any other dairy free alternatives that you like!

Replies

• NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lent is suppose to make you closer to God, right? Me being lactose intolerant, giving up dairy would probably make it a lot easier for people to want to be close to me.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    homer-drinking-beer.gif
    Z0N4O.gif
  • ashleywoodpants
    ashleywoodpants Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    homer-drinking-beer.gif
    Z0N4O.gif

HA! Awesome alternatives!
  • Old_Slowly
    Old_Slowly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a matter of health, I can't see giving up dairy. For religious reasons, if you choose to give it up, shouldn't you just deal with the loss of those items during Lent? Isn't that kind of the point.
    I gave up giving things up for lent 30 years ago, so maybe I'm out of touch.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like unsweetened soy milk--lots of protein. I also like a little sorbet as a treat (blend in extra whole fruit--it's even yummier!). There's an almond-based cheese as well, I buy it at Sprout's.

I'm not big on dairy. I do have a little cheese sometimes, tho.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    zbgz7gfbv2le.jpg

*snort* I love you, Jim.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think giving up something like that, something you really enjoy, is a great idea. Giving it up for Lent as part of the religious practice is based on the idea of personal sacrifice. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but if you are following Lent for religious reasons, looking to replace dairy with similar substitutes negates some of that personal sacrifice. If you're just looking to do it as a personal challenge then frozen fruit smoothies are decent for a milkshake type feel.
  • Froxen
    Froxen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Gave up Dairy a long time ago... Lactose Intolerable... lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bynsky wrote: »
    erijnl.jpg

Heh, love it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Old_Slowly wrote: »
    As a matter of health, I can't see giving up dairy.

I agree. And if you think you should give it up because intolerant or some such, I don't see what it has to do with Lent.
    For religious reasons, if you choose to give it up, shouldn't you just deal with the loss of those items during Lent? Isn't that kind of the point.

This would be my view, and I still observe Lent. The idea is to sacrifice/to grow in your spirituality through the discipline of giving up something, not to do something you think is helpful to a diet (or whatever the reason for cutting dairy would be). Like switching out regular for diet soda wouldn't make sense to me as a Lenten observance either.
  • ashleywoodpants
    ashleywoodpants Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    zbgz7gfbv2le.jpg

Probably the best meme I have ever seen!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm a lover of cheese, yogurt and ice cream, but I am now dairy free too!

I enjoy all the plant milk alternatives that are out there. I tend to prefer the unsweetened ones. Also soy/oat cream is great, so is soy/oat yogurt and pudding, soy/oat ice cream, chocolate so dark there is no dairy in it, vegan cheddar cheese/cream cheese alternatives... They are super delicious, and I've been enjoying them even more now that I'm not having the "real stuff" anymore. You can also make some cheesy stuff with soft tofu and nutritional yeast! Check it out!

And if you're a cheese aficionado, nutritional yeast is a must have. You'll never look back.

Many different cheeses can also be made at home with cashew nuts. The Internet is full of recipes for that.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My husband has a casein allergy and we've been a dairy-free house for nearly 10 years. There are lots of great substitutes out there these days.

Tofutti brand sour cream and cream cheese are both excellent! I will use the sour cream in place of yogurt in recipes and on things like tacos/baked potatoes! I also make an alfredo sauce with homemade cashew cream (soak cashews and puree with water and garlic). It's not super diet-friendly, but is very tasty! Galaxy Nutritional Foods makes a Parmesan substitute that is really great. As far as cheese goes, try a few brands before deciding whether or not you like soy cheese. It took us 4 or 5 bags to find one with a melting texture we both liked.

Give nutritional yeast a try too. I personally don't care for it, but I know a lot of my vegan friends live off that stuff!