How do you react when drivers tailgate you?

Options
ClubSilencio
ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
Sometimes I just don't understand it.

How do you react?

Replies

• curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Depends. I stay out of the left lane unless I am passing, but if it's a one lane I usually drive 5-10mph over the speed limit but people still tailgate. A quick/light tapping of my brakes gets most people to back off but if they don't I slow down to the exact speed limit :)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I usually get a new bumper from their insurance company
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You do NOT want to tailgate me, ever. I will literally take my foot off the gas and coast. For as long as they can stand it. Then when they've had enough and change lanes to pass me, I gun the gas and refuse to let them ahead of me. This continues for as long as I feel necessary. Lol. I'm evil to people who are dicks for no reason.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I joyfully pull more to the right and let them pass. Why not?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Immediate rage.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    In driving school, had a cop tailgate me once. Really scary !
  • k8blujay
    k8blujay Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I slow my *kitten* back down to 5 under... especially if there are other cars around that they can't get around... why? because I meet asshatery with asshatery.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I slow my *kitten* back down to 5 under... especially if there are other cars around that they can't get around... why? because I meet asshatery with asshatery.

i_like_you.gif
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In car - brake check and or let the pecker heads pass.
    On bike - Pull my 357 mag and wink at em.
    357 works EVERY time.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Had a girl doing this just last week. On a three lane road, speed limit is 45 an i am doing about 50. Guy is in the middle lane so I move to the right lane and slowly start passing him. The left lane is completely open but this girl decideds she is going to run up on my butt while I pass. I mean, she is about bump-drafting me, it was THAT close. I waited till she move back just a bit and gave her a quick brake check (tap the brake peddle really quick while still having a foot on the gas). She locked up, screeched tires a bit and moved back. Of course, soon as I was around the other guy she drives by and flips me off. Meh...

I saw her just a mile up the road were traffic always backs up and she wasn't tailgating anyone at least.

The next day I saw her speeding down the side shoulder when traffic stopped. Unfortunately, she will kill someone and not just herself with the way she drives.

I always say, you want to see the true nature of someone, drive with them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm usually in bumper to bumper traffic...so everyone is tailgating everyone...at about 2 MPH
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Slam on your brakes, causing them to rear-end you. Get out, slam their head against the steering wheel until they stop moving. Pull them out, cut them open, play jump rope with their intestines. Plead insanity, spend the rest of your days in a cushy asylum where you get three square meals and a cute nurse brings you happy pills everyday.
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really bother me unless it's at night and they have their brights on. If they don't want to pass me, that's their problem.

I did have a psycho follow me home once though to "teach me a lesson" for some perceived slight. I was bothered by her tailgating.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I usually just pull on to the shoulder and let them pass. I just bought a new car; it was an expensive "mom mobile."
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Happened to me just today in a school zone. I'm already going a couple clicks over the speed limit, we have fresh snow, it's warm and as slick as loon poop as a result. I did a little break check, they started waving both arms around (cuz you don't need arms to drive a car apparently) and backed off just a tiny bit but still followed dangerously close... then I just ignored them because they aren't worth me losing sleep over or getting so enraged that I'm a danger to others. (Caveat: I am on some anti-psychotic medication and it's really helping.... to keep the morons I encounter alive! lol)
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Interesting how many of your use educational breaking to annoy tailgaters. If you do that in Germany, you can lose your license! No matter how irresponsible the driver behind you is, if you break without reason and this causes an accident, you're screwed.

So mostly, I ignose it these days. If there are only 2 lanes and I really want to get past a truck, I'll overtake and speed up quite a bit. If somebody is faster, I move back to the right lane. However, if there's a speed limit on both lanes and I still want to ovetake the trucks (eg 120km/h speed limit, truck at 80 km/h), I could not care less if some stupid tailgater gets stuck behind me. I've got every right to overtake while staying within the speed limit.