To those limiting carbs

Options
I'm trying to limit my carbs, not really considered low carb but around 117 a day.

So this morning I have had some watermelon, some bread, some dairy. I've already used up my carbs for the day and it is 1:00! What do you do in such an instance? Do you just eat meat for dinner?

I'm totally bummed because the summer fruit is only good for such a short time, but the carbs really add up fast.

Thanks for any direction with my carb dilemma!

Lori

Replies

• Mynoratea77
    Options
    You could try the South Beach diet. It allows healthy carbs like vegetables and whole grains. I lost 50 pounds on that diet once. I've just started it again recently since I quit smoking and gained a bunch of it back.
  • Imbiutiful
    Imbiutiful Posts: 39
    Options
    Bumo
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Good luck-I know about the fruit. I really wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Eat good carbs-like your fruit and whole grain. The fiber is what helps with weight loss. Your body will respond as long as your are eating sensibly and not overeating the carbs.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    In the future you could ...
    Reduce your portions of each - fruit, dairy and bread
    OR
    eliminate bread or dairy or both while the summer fruit is in season so you can indulge.

I don't eat bread but still have dairy in limited amounts in cream and butter but no yogurt or milk.
    Personal choice.

What I would do for the rest of the day is have a nice dinner with a protein of my choice, either a salad or some green veggies with either dressing or some butter or oil.
    Don't sweat going over in carbs with the veggies for the rest of the day.

Good Luck!
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I did the Adkin's diet a few years back and lost quite a bit on it and gained it all back, plus some. Now I'm doing low calorie and keeping an eye on carbs, fat, etc. I don't eat bread on anything, but still have potatoes sometimes and I don't worry a whole lot about fruit carbs. My weightloss is going far better this time.

In your case, I think I would do no more bread for the day today. And as far as wanting to eat summer fruit in the days ahead, maybe just cut out bread on the days you have opportunity to eat Watermelon, etc.

Good luck with your weightloss!
    Vanessa
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bread will eat up your cal allowance very quickly. I hardly eat any at all now, and I was a huge (literally) bread fan. Now I will have a wrap instead, or a sandwich thin.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    I would suggest don't eat bread at all.
    I quit bread last year, and it was the best thing I ever done
    For me now it is tasteless comparing to vegetables and fruits
  • deb1130
    deb1130 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The only way I can limit carbs is to increase protein. That's key for me -- if left to my own devices, I'd eat just carbs! :D And, most diet "gurus" , nutritionists, etc. recommend protein at every meal. I don't "like" protein as much, but it does curb the appetite and decrease blood sugar spikes.

My mom was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so I'm trying to get my weight under control and learn to eat to prevent getting it (I had mild gestational diabetes, so that's two risk factors.) Most of what I've read about Type 2 is that "white foods" (sugar, flour, high-glycemic foods) contribute to it.

So, the carbs I eat mostly come from low-fat dairy or LC wraps (high-fiber ones) and veggies.

Although I do occasionally have a "cheat" meal - so I don't feel all bored & deprived, and to hopefully trick my metabolism into thinking I'm not dieting. Once a week, max. That way, if I blow it, I know it's not forever--I think mentally that works better for me.
  • Ellebeegirl
    Ellebeegirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think cutting out bread on fruit days is something I can do in the future. I'll just chalk today up as a learning experience and stick to mostly protein for dinner tonight. The produce has been so bad all winter, I just have a hard time not eating it when I finally get some good stuff. Do people really eat watermelon by the cup? I'm a slab girl myself!

I guess I didn't make the best choices of good choices.

Keep on keeping on!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I limit carbs because I'm diabetic, so I go by the meal--going overboard at breakfast won't be "fixed" by having none at dinner--the blood sugar damage is done, so I just move on to the next meal with the plan to keep under 50 for that meal. My carbs tend to come in between 100 and 150 for the day, but if I eat 150 for breakfast, i don't go carb-free for dinner.

That's just me--my body uses carbs as I eat them, there's no "saving" for dinner. It's a per meal gig.

Kris
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't ask, so if you're not interested, just ignore me, LOL! Most people limit their carbs because they want to keep their blood sugar down lower than it would be if they were consuming a 'normal' amount of carbs. If you look at how carbs raise your blood sugar in a more complete way, you'll be able to enjoy more of them without the resulting blood sugar spike.

If you pair your carbs with protein, your blood sugar will not spike as quickly or as much as if you ate your carbs alone.

Google 'glycemic load' and read up on that. It's related to the glycemic index, but shows how some high GI foods, like carrots, actually have a low glycemic load, and the lower the GL, the slower the sugar spike :)

I, too, am limiting my carb intake, but like most people, I freakin love my carbs, especially from fruit, and I'll do whatever I need to do in order to enjoy them without having to deal with the negative effects of a blood sugar spike.
  • mdgracia
    mdgracia Posts: 20
    Options
    I have the same issue sometimes, but I did eliminate all bread, potatoes, corn and just about all carbs except green veggies, berries (any), and avocado 2X per week. I also do not eat my fruit after 3pm as my day slows down then. After a few weeks of this I will add back in slowly additional carbs. The increase in protein has made me have more energy, but I do still struggle eating enough of it. I was protein deficient in my diet so my doctor has me on a high protein, very low carb diet for the next month until I can kick my carb withdrawal.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to limit my carbs, not really considered low carb but around 117 a day.

So this morning I have had some watermelon, some bread, some dairy. I've already used up my carbs for the day and it is 1:00! What do you do in such an instance? Do you just eat meat for dinner?

I'm totally bummed because the summer fruit is only good for such a short time, but the carbs really add up fast.

Thanks for any direction with my carb dilemma!

Lori

Unfortunately a low-carb diet is not very forgiving in that carbs add up quickly and now you're stuck eating various meats and stuff. I TRY, emphasis on try, to limit myself to 100 grams of carbs during the week. My workout drink has 36 carbs right off the bat. As a "snack" / breakfast I'll have a couple hard boiled eggs and if I'm just starving in-between then and lunch I'll have a small protein drink with 10 carbs. I've learned to love cottage cheese for snacks too, lower carb and high protein. I may have a portion of rice with lunch, maybe 20 carbs worth, I measure everything. Then for dinner it's often just chicken or turkey cutlets with cheese and maybe a small serving of low-fat ranch dressing.

Try and focus on good carbs that are lower on the glycemic index. Things like vegetables, sweet potatoes, some rice, I believe legumes are on that low-end and they will better sustain you over the day and they're better for workout energy.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It seems that "carbs" have become the worst thing ever. When I was growing up I was always told that fresh fruits and vegetables were good for you. I still believe that. I truly believe that as long as you are consuming fewer calories than you are buring that the weight will come off. Eating a balanced diet that includes all the major food groups can't really be anything but healthy, can it?
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What I would do for the rest of the day is have a nice dinner with a protein of my choice, either a salad or some green veggies with either dressing or some butter or oil.
    Don't sweat going over in carbs with the veggies for the rest of the day.

Good Luck!

Ditto
  • Ellebeegirl
    Ellebeegirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You know what, Celerystalker? I have no idea why I'm limiting my carbs (Doh!) other than I am hypothyroid, pre-menopausal with a large weight gain in the abdominal area.

I've been on every single diet ever invented and as of January of this year, there will be no more "diet" for me ever. So in March I started exercising with a personal trainer, 3 days of strength training followed by cardio and 2 days of cardio only. I cut out basic bad things like fried foods, artificial sweeteners.....all the usual suspects. And up until one month ago, I didn't lose any weight at all and in fact continued to gain.

All that led me to limiting my carbs because it seemed the only thing I can do barring going on a diet. So while I don't particularly know if blood sugar has anything to do with why low carb is recommended for hypothyroid, possibly insulin-resistant, certainly hormonal, type weight loss, I suspect it does! Any information I can get from people fighting the same good fight as me, is very much appreciated!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It seems that "carbs" have become the worst thing ever. When I was growing up I was always told that fresh fruits and vegetables were good for you. I still believe that. I truly believe that as long as you are consuming fewer calories than you are buring that the weight will come off. Eating a balanced diet that includes all the major food groups can't really be anything but healthy, can it?

I don't think it's that carbs are the worst thing ever, it's that most of the carbohydrates in many our food sources are actually pretty bad. All of the fast food, low-fat meals, yogurts, candies, pre-made potatoes (powder mixes), etc, etc are all pretty bad. They're either pure sugar and have no real value and / or spike your insulin level which really messes with your ability to burn fat. I've probably read dozen articles in the last year about how America's cases of type-II diabetes and obesity has gone up considerably over the last decade and much is attributed to eating all of these low-fat higher processed carb meals. Lack of exercise being the other issue.

Things like store bought vegetables, fruits are still good sources of carbs but it's like everything else in life, don't over do it. Many things are good for you to a certain extent but after that point they are no longer good for you. Even too much water can be bad for you.

All things in proportion.
  • alexfaty
    alexfaty Posts: 61
    Options
    What about vegetables?
    I try not to have too many carbs for supper and have a very nice full plate, of low fat protein ie chicken, turkey or fish and plate of green low carb veg:
    Broccoli, Green beans, courgettes, peppers, asparagus, aubergine, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Mangetout, Peas, Spinach, Runner beans. Or if its hot and nice big leafy salad... There must be many more and you can make them very tasty with different spices...
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    You know what, Celerystalker? I have no idea why I'm limiting my carbs (Doh!) other than I am hypothyroid, pre-menopausal with a large weight gain in the abdominal area.

I've been on every single diet ever invented and as of January of this year, there will be no more "diet" for me ever. So in March I started exercising with a personal trainer, 3 days of strength training followed by cardio and 2 days of cardio only. I cut out basic bad things like fried foods, artificial sweeteners.....all the usual suspects. And up until one month ago, I didn't lose any weight at all and in fact continued to gain.

All that led me to limiting my carbs because it seemed the only thing I can do barring going on a diet. So while I don't particularly know if blood sugar has anything to do with why low carb is recommended for hypothyroid, possibly insulin-resistant, certainly hormonal, type weight loss, I suspect it does! Any information I can get from people fighting the same good fight as me, is very much appreciated!

Ok, given your situation, I highly suggest picking up one of several books out there that discuss Glycemic Load. You will learn about how when you eat carbs, your body pumps out insulin to take care of the sugar spike, and the more carbs you eat, the more insulin you have in your system, so the less your body 'listens' to the insulin, making it not so effective, making you need more and more insulin to handle less and less sugar. This is exactly what insulin resistance is, and will lead to diabetes if it's not gotten under control.

All kinds of hormonal things happen when insulin comes to the party, too. Hormones that promote fat storage, hormones that prevent fat burning. To heck with that!

Let me go grab my books so I can give you a couple titles to look into. If nothing else, you will learn so much about what's going on inside your body every time you put a piece of food in your mouth and you'll be astounded by what you're learning. LOL I'm currently reading three books on this topic alone. :)
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    OK here they are:

Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism- this book talks mostly about what is going on in your body when different foods are consumed, and how to gain control of these processes for your benefit

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Glycemic Index Weight Loss- I hate the insulting title to this series of books, but sometimes it's necessary to pick up a copy of something where the material has been dumbed down and spoken in a light hearted, 'this is so simple, anyone can understand it' manner. Main focal points are, you guessed it, how our bodies react to different foods, what hormones come racing out and when, and what food you should be eating and when, to get it all under control.

The Easy GL Diet Handbook- This is a small book, but it is mega packed with information similar to what's available in the two I've already mentioned. If you want to get up to speed quickly without a lot of filler and novel chit chat, pick up a copy of this little guy. It was $10 at Barnes and Noble.

Through these three books, I've come to understand and appreciate that I'm not just a weak minded junk food junkie. There are physical reasons why when I pop a can of pringles, I can't put them down until it's empty, or can't stop eating fresh baked cookies until the whole batch is gone. It the risk of sounding like a blame-placer, it was comforting to understand the hormone surges that take place when I put highly refined carbs in my mouth that turn me into a raging carb addict, and that it wasn't just a simple matter of being 'weak' and giving into cravings. Once my body has been poisoned with highly refined garbage, the hormones send out more and more signals saying HEY, YOU NEED MORE OF THAT!! So it's truly more than just a craving, more than just 'i wanna eat that'. Knowledge is power, and the key to success :)

Good luck!