How to say no to chocolate/sugar! SOS

Options

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I have yogurt, small slice of dark chocolate, granola and coconut flakes it makes me have a lower carb count. Also makes me fuller and not wanting anything else sweet.

Maybe try having dark chocolate instead of milk? More antioxidants. Having peanut butter can help and has protein benefits that chocolate doesn't have.
  • alisakorneyeva
    alisakorneyeva Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Even better banana dipped in chocolate lol (which is anoth thing I do in summertime as a sweet dessert without as much guilt as say another type of dessert

I think they just have a really bad attitude about helping others and trying to understand and support someone. :/
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Eat broccoli if you desire something sweet?
    It's like drinking ocean water or liking your sweat if you desire something salty.

Maybe you would do it if nothing else is available and you are addicted, same with the broccoli, but not if something else more appealing is available.

The problem is that there are so many other things that are readily available and easily accessible that hit the spot faster and better than broccoli...
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    (I am deliberately avoiding the discussion of whether sugar is really an addiction or not ...)

Option #1: Avoid having those triggers around you for now. Get used to just not having them. No chocolate, no sugar in your morning beverage, no sweets/candy/cookies/etc. If they are around at an event, go somewhere else or move them away from you. Just remind yourself that you aren't eating those foods. Have gum or another substitute available to help. After a while you may be able to add them back in and have them in moderation.

Option #2: Learn to moderate yourself. Every time you reach for a piece of chocolate or a sweet, stop and ask yourself if this is really what you want right now. Ask yourself, also, if this is worth the calories. Still keep it out of sight as much as possible, so you aren't tempted, but in this scenario you are allowing yourself some indulgence, just not every time you see it or think about it.

I prefer option 2 for the most part. In fact, I often keep a hidden stash of my favorite kinds of chocolate bars (hidden both from my immediate view and from the kids, lol). That way, when I'm shopping or see a vending machine and am tempted by a treat, I remind myself that I already have one at home, and there's no point in buying another. If I still want it when I get home, I go back to asking myself if it will fit in my calories for the day or if I'm willing to give up something else I had planned on for the day to eat the chocolate.

The biggest thing is realizing that you are in control, not the food. Make it a conscious thing, each time you eat (and apply that to everything you eat, sugary or not). And consciously choose to not eat the foods that won't fit into your day (whichever option you're going for); it takes 21 days to create a habit, and it's easier if you're replacing a bad habit with a good one. Chew gum, get a drink of water, or do something else when you feel tempted to eat those foods.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You might buy dark chocolate and allow one square to slowly melt in your mouth. 70% cocoa dark chocolate grated into Greek yogurt is absolutely delicious, particularly if it's 2% or 4% fat yogurt. Also, I like Chocorite chocolate bars, sweetened with stevia and erythritol.

http://chocorite.com/low-carb-sugar-free-chocolate-bars.html

I also second the notion of fasting from chocolate/sugar for a while if you're having problems with cravings. It teaches me that I can live without the desired food, so I'm more in control when I add it back into my diet.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I went months without junk food- candy, cookies, sweets, and have been working on adding them back in in moderation. I don't want any in the house though and so far I'm just working on moderating the candy given to us at work, and fitting it into my calories. I really love milk chocolate and would have to say that it controls me more than I control it so far, so I avoid it.
  • alisakorneyeva
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    You might buy dark chocolate and allow one square to slowly melt in your mouth. 70% cocoa dark chocolate grated into Greek yogurt is absolutely delicious, particularly if it's 2% or 4% fat yogurt. Also, I like Chocorite chocolate bars, sweetened with stevia and erythritol.

http://chocorite.com/low-carb-sugar-free-chocolate-bars.html

I also second the notion of fasting from chocolate/sugar for a while if you're having problems with cravings. It teaches me that I can live without the desired food, so I'm more in control when I add it back into my diet.

I really like this method, and your incorporation of a greek yogurt recipie is something I will most likely try out! Thank you so much for sharing♡
  • alisakorneyeva
    Options
    That's what I'm trying to get at! I have a really really bad sweet tooth wether it's the sugar in fruit or chocolate I need to eat sweet stuff! That's why I started by replacing my sugar in coffee with artificial sweeteners then slowly tried to reduce my chocolate intake but I still need sweet things! I was replying to the person who was indicating that it's all in our heads or we would be trying to eat masses of broccoli to get the sugar from it....well no I don't with the broccoli as it's not sweet but fruits I do eat in large amounts because it's wonderfully sweet!

If it were truly a sugar addiction then you would go to any available source. Not sweet enough illustrates that isn't the case.

But would you?? Would an alcoholic eat nannas fruit cake because the fruit was soaked in brandy? No they wouldn't! Why? because they wouldn't get the desired effect, just as someone needing sugar wouldn't get the desired effect from a bowl of broccoli! Someone addicted to the pokies wouldn't go put money on the horses if there were no pokies around why? Again the desirable effect isn't there....it's still gambling though!

Actually they would get the desired effect ... sugar into their system. Your complaint about broccoli, a sugar containing food, is completely flavor based. As noted by others, there is no scientific evidence supporting the addiction claims.

Even better banana dipped in chocolate lol (which is anoth thing I do in summertime as a sweet dessert without as much guilt as say another type of dessert

I think they just have a really bad attitude about helping others and trying to understand and support someone. :/

Some here don't think encouraging mistruths is helpful or supportive. Correcting misunderstandings is supportive and helpful.

I just feel like you could have a better attitude is all. Sugar isnt making me overweight or THE problem for my health, I just feel like I could try to step away and I wanted to see how others have, and what they do regarding recipies and etc, and share experiences. Your comments simply kind of felt really degrading and targeted.
  • alisakorneyeva
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    (I am deliberately avoiding the discussion of whether sugar is really an addiction or not ...)

Option #1: Avoid having those triggers around you for now. Get used to just not having them. No chocolate, no sugar in your morning beverage, no sweets/candy/cookies/etc. If they are around at an event, go somewhere else or move them away from you. Just remind yourself that you aren't eating those foods. Have gum or another substitute available to help. After a while you may be able to add them back in and have them in moderation.

Option #2: Learn to moderate yourself. Every time you reach for a piece of chocolate or a sweet, stop and ask yourself if this is really what you want right now. Ask yourself, also, if this is worth the calories. Still keep it out of sight as much as possible, so you aren't tempted, but in this scenario you are allowing yourself some indulgence, just not every time you see it or think about it.

I prefer option 2 for the most part. In fact, I often keep a hidden stash of my favorite kinds of chocolate bars (hidden both from my immediate view and from the kids, lol). That way, when I'm shopping or see a vending machine and am tempted by a treat, I remind myself that I already have one at home, and there's no point in buying another. If I still want it when I get home, I go back to asking myself if it will fit in my calories for the day or if I'm willing to give up something else I had planned on for the day to eat the chocolate.

The biggest thing is realizing that you are in control, not the food. Make it a conscious thing, each time you eat (and apply that to everything you eat, sugary or not). And consciously choose to not eat the foods that won't fit into your day (whichever option you're going for); it takes 21 days to create a habit, and it's easier if you're replacing a bad habit with a good one. Chew gum, get a drink of water, or do something else when you feel tempted to eat those foods.

Thank you so much for your responce and taking time to share the detailed process! It's really encouraging, and helpful. I will definetly consider it♡
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    http://chocorite.com/low-carb-sugar-free-chocolate-bars.html these can't be good!

Do not fast or eliminate chocolate, that will never last very long. That would be like telling me to give up my cup of java in the mornings every day...

How about putting chocolate on your food diary first thing every day and then fill in the calories the rest of day around that sweet goodness?
  • alisakorneyeva
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    http://chocorite.com/low-carb-sugar-free-chocolate-bars.html these can't be good!

Do not fast or eliminate chocolate, that will never last very long. That would be like telling me to give up my cup of java in the mornings every day...

How about putting chocolate on your food diary first thing every day and then fill in the calories the rest of day around that sweet goodness?

Thats kind of what I have been doing. I filled up my two squares of chocolate first thing, and then decided what workout would help me to get rid of them, and then planned my meals. I feel like this might be a good system for now?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Is weight loss your goal? I'm going to assume it is but here is my husband's trick - chewing gum.

He always carries a packet of chewing gum with him and as soon as he gets the urge he takes one out.

This has helped him a lot to stay away from eating something sweet just for the heck of it.
  • alisakorneyeva
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Is weight loss your goal? I'm going to assume it is but here is my husband's trick - chewing gum.

He always carries a packet of chewing gum with him and as soon as he gets the urge he takes one out.

This has helped him a lot.

Weight loss is my goal, but the reason why it is, is because I keep this app for portion control. I used to try to gain weight so I would double my portions, and I never stopped when I reached the brink, because cutting down portions was really difficult. So I started using this for control and guidance (:
    But the gum trick seems to be really relevant! I might try that, thank you!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm trying to get at! I have a really really bad sweet tooth wether it's the sugar in fruit or chocolate I need to eat sweet stuff! That's why I started by replacing my sugar in coffee with artificial sweeteners then slowly tried to reduce my chocolate intake but I still need sweet things! I was replying to the person who was indicating that it's all in our heads or we would be trying to eat masses of broccoli to get the sugar from it....well no I don't with the broccoli as it's not sweet but fruits I do eat in large amounts because it's wonderfully sweet!

If it were truly a sugar addiction then you would go to any available source. Not sweet enough illustrates that isn't the case.

But would you?? Would an alcoholic eat nannas fruit cake because the fruit was soaked in brandy? No they wouldn't! Why? because they wouldn't get the desired effect, just as someone needing sugar wouldn't get the desired effect from a bowl of broccoli! Someone addicted to the pokies wouldn't go put money on the horses if there were no pokies around why? Again the desirable effect isn't there....it's still gambling though!

Actually they would get the desired effect ... sugar into their system. Your complaint about broccoli, a sugar containing food, is completely flavor based. As noted by others, there is no scientific evidence supporting the addiction claims.

Some here don't think encouraging mistruths is helpful or supportive. Correcting misunderstandings is supportive and helpful.

QFT
  • jtringl
    jtringl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have a little bit of chocolate, dark is better! Try the fat free sugar free flavored liquid creamers. They are so good, so you don't need any sugar in your coffee!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I just feel like you could have a better attitude is all. Sugar isnt making me overweight or THE problem for my health, I just feel like I could try to step away and I wanted to see how others have, and what they do regarding recipies and etc, and share experiences. Your comments simply kind of felt really degrading and targeted.

My attitude is wonderful. The fact you seek insult in my replies and therefore find something to offend you is truly on you. What you feel is on you. Seeking experiences by people expressing the same fallacy based world view isn't support ... it is enabling and there is a significant difference.

"Sugar addiction" is not scientifically supported. The fact that certain centers light up in one's brain is not an indicator of addiction or the same evidence would support "addiction" to stubbing toes and petting puppies.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Willpower?
    I enjoy sugar of course, I just don't crave it.... give me a few pieces of dark chocolate a day and I'm happy.
    If you cut back on the sugar in your coffee bit by bit you wont notice it.
    The same goes for other sugary treats, enjoy them but in moderation.

Where theres a will theres a way.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE chocoholic, and I put about 3 teaspoons of sugar in my cup of tea, along with the inability to hold myself back from other sweets.
    Is anyone else like this? How do you motivate yourself to not give in to these alluring monstrosities?!?

OP...I too am avoiding the "sugar addiction" part of this thread and try to offer some tips on your original question.

Most of us have foods or a category of food that we tend to overeat. Mine was anything crunchy and salty.

What I did when I first started trying to lose weight was...

Mentally made a list of the specific food that I overate on (ex...reduced fat Cheezits...chips...etc...etc)
    First I tried moderation.
    When I found I couldn't keep them in the house I only bought them on weekends.
    If that didn't work I put them on a no-buy list.
    Every few months I would try to add them back in.

After a couple of years at this some things have made it back in to my daily diet...other things have not. I still have a tendency to over-indulge in crunchy and salty food items. I can now bring chips in to the house and have no problems...Cheezits...only on occasion. I still overeat on them.

My advice...try a few different ways to approach this and see what works best for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Also ignoring the addiction thing.

What worked for me, and what I encourage others to do, was to think about when I tended to overeat and why. I realized that I ate well at meals (I don't really get how people eat lots of sugar in a meal, as it's not consistent with how I cook), but that I would mindlessly eat stupid stuff at other times, sometimes because it looked delicious (as when someone brings a really good cinnamon coffee cake to work), at other times just because it was there and I wanted a break or was having a hard day or everyone else was eating it. (Pretty much all my dumb eating happened at work, and especially if I worked really late and hadn't eaten since lunch.)

So given my own habits and triggers, what helped me was simply deciding that I would not snack during the day with rare exceptions when I really thought it through, logged it, and decided how to make room for it in the day (i.e., if that coffee cake was worth it I would decide not to have ice cream at night and have a smaller portion of potatoes and larger portion of vegetables with dinner).

I kept in a reasonable, moderate amount of sweet things (not at first, since I was breaking the habit and on low calories, but soon), but they are planned and generally immediately after dinner (or on occasion, lunch, as there is a place that has really good chocolates that I go to for lunch sometimes) and fit in my calories. Including them doesn't make my sugar particularly high, and makes it easy to say no to other things and to moderate, as I know I can always have something tomorrow if it doesn't fit in today. For me it's kind of like calories -- I figured out what I think a reasonable amount of sweet stuff (or other extra food, like cheese, which I sometimes have instead, or fries or whatever) is to have in a day or week and don't go above it. It's not hard to say "later" if you are not thinking in all or nothing terms, for me.

Also, this might not work for everyone, but I cultivated my innate snobbery about what sweets are worth eating. Life's too short for mediocre baked goods or mediocre chocolate, so I'd rather wait and spend the calories on something really good, often in a smaller quantity. That helped with the foods that seemed to be always around at work or in meetings or the like.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Slowly start by cutting down the sugar you put in your coffee. I used to get my coffee light and sweet. When I started cutting down on my sugar I knocked it down to 2 sugars which in a large coffee was really nothing so then I started nixing the sugar and just getting milk and there was no difference in drinking it that way vs. with 2 sugars. For my tea that I drink I just stopped putting sugar in it. I used to have a wicked sweet tooth but I've pretty much knocked the cravings away. On the off chance that I do want something sweet I'll chew gum, suck on a hard candy or eat some frozen grapes.