Help!!!

Hello everyone! Haven't been on here in a very long time! Just had my daughter in October and since I have recovered have been trying to get back into the healthy and fit lifestyle. I am doing the 30 day squat, arm and ab challenge and am loving my progress but my weight is at 118 and I'm not as happy. Most women would love to be in my shoes after two pregnancies but I'm also wanting to "gain". I would love to have a thick bottom figure! Must say squats are working. I know they say tons of protein intake as well as fruits and veggies and good carbs like sweet potatoes etc but was told by a friend I may be eating too healthy if I want to gain! Is this true? Can someone pls give me advice or help me out? You can also see my progress of my Instagram fit page fitmomof_two91 Thanks everyone

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Start eating 250 calories more a day than you usually do. This will mean logging unfortunately! Try and go for a half a pound a week gain. Take it easy. You want half of that to be muscle if you can.
  • jessica_lynn5691
    jessica_lynn5691 Posts: 19 Member
    Yes! Thank u. I just got back on this app so I'm hoping to use it daily again
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Eating too healthy to gain? That sound ludicrous...

Just eat about 200 - 250 more a day of that "too healthy food" you are eating and you will be fine.
  • jessica_lynn5691
    What exactly is the key to gains? More calories or protein or both? Where do carbs play a role? I'm so new to this!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    What exactly is the key to gains? More calories or protein or both? Where do carbs play a role? I'm so new to this!

Excess calories lead to weight gain - regardless of the source. Macro breakdown can sometimes effect how much you can eat comfortably (for example, if you're eating a ton of chicken, lettuce, and rice, but are finding you have trouble eating enough food to create a calorie surplus, you can swap out something for more fat or another more-calorie-dense food)

HOW that weight is gained (ie - via fat, muscle, water, or whatever) depends primarily on exercise type and intensity.
  • Springfield1970

Extra calories cause weight gain. Eat adequate protein, .8g per lb of body weight. Works out about four servings a day.
    All carbs are great for muscle building, especially fast releasing ones like fruit and pasta after weight training.
    If you want to build muscle then you need to get on a good progressive (steadily getting heavier) programme like new rules of lifting for women or strong curves.

You may want to read the stickies that are at the top of the forum.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Excess calories lead to weight gain - regardless of the source. Macro breakdown can sometimes effect how much you can eat comfortably (for example, if you're eating a ton of chicken, lettuce, and rice, but are finding you have trouble eating enough food to create a calorie surplus, you can swap out something for more fat or another more-calorie-dense food)

HOW that weight is gained (ie - via fat, muscle, water, or whatever) depends primarily on exercise type and intensity.

And (at least to some extent) protein intake.
  • Springfield1970
    edited February 2016
    It's very hard NOT to get enough protein when on a bulk.
    It's everwhere, tagging along with all the carbs too.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I'd strongly recommend getting on a structured, progressive lifting program too. Something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting (if you have access to a gym) or Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym (if you don't, or if you prefer body weight exercises). Those ab/squat/arm challenges aren't going to help build muscle nearly as much as a structured beginner lifting program.
  • jessica_lynn5691
    What is a good beginner lifting program, I honestly started the 30 days because my muscles are so weak. I just had a baby back in October and have been out of exercise a long time. I'm a stay at home mom to a two year old and 3 month old so I have no access to a gym, sometimes I use them as weights while doing squats.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Look into Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym. Also check out www.strengthunbound.com; the guy who runs it does mostly bodyweight exercises and he's bulked very successfully. The challenges are excellent for getting you moving (and that's incredibly important when you're starting out), but they're limited and won't take you as far as a structured program will.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    What is a good beginner lifting program, I honestly started the 30 days because my muscles are so weak. I just had a baby back in October and have been out of exercise a long time. I'm a stay at home mom to a two year old and 3 month old so I have no access to a gym, sometimes I use them as weights while doing squats.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    AnvilHead wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Based on wanting a thick bottom, strong curves or even NROL4W would probably be on my top for recommendations.

Edit: just noticed at that @Springfield1970 already made this recommendation, lol.
  • lisamarie337
    lisamarie337 Posts: 8 Member
    Hello everyone! Haven't been on here in a very long time! Just had my daughter in October and since I have recovered have been trying to get back into the healthy and fit lifestyle. I am doing the 30 day squat, arm and ab challenge and am loving my progress but my weight is at 118 and I'm not as happy. Most women would love to be in my shoes after two pregnancies but I'm also wanting to "gain". I would love to have a thick bottom figure! Must say squats are working. I know they say tons of protein intake as well as fruits and veggies and good carbs like sweet potatoes etc but was told by a friend I may be eating too healthy if I want to gain! Is this true? Can someone pls give me advice or help me out? You can also see my progress of my Instagram fit page fitmomof_two91 Thanks everyone

You sound like me. My weight sounds fine for my height but I look super thin. I want to gain a bit and also workout to gain some curves. I just started doing squats 2 days ago. I eat super healthy, mainly only fruits and veggies. Everyone keeps telling me to eat meat and carbs. I'm trying to eat more but I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat unhealthy foods just to gain weight. If I had boobs (thanks to breastfeeding they are gone) I would just try to work on the squats for a bigger butt but at this point I thibk gaining weight is my only option. Try healthy high fats like avocados, nut butters,bananas, healthy whole grains. Sorry I don't have much advice cause I'm struggling too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

You sound like me. My weight sounds fine for my height but I look super thin. I want to gain a bit and also workout to gain some curves. I just started doing squats 2 days ago. I eat super healthy, mainly only fruits and veggies. Everyone keeps telling me to eat meat and carbs. I'm trying to eat more but I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat unhealthy foods just to gain weight. If I had boobs (thanks to breastfeeding they are gone) I would just try to work on the squats for a bigger butt but at this point I thibk gaining weight is my only option. Try healthy high fats like avocados, nut butters,bananas, healthy whole grains. Sorry I don't have much advice cause I'm struggling too.

Eating mainly fruits and veggies isnt generally healthy at all because they mainly lack the essentials (fatty acids and amino acids (protein)). So replacing some of those with proteins like chicken, bison, duck, lamb or fats like salmon, tuna, avocado and nuts will help you achieve your goals. If you prefer vegetarian options you have tofu, sietan, quinoa, doy and more.

Overall there are a variety of healthy nutrient dense options outside of fruits and veggies. And for your case, the swap would be highly beneficial.
  • Springfield1970
    edited February 2016

Why do you think these things are unhealthy? Carbs have their place in building healthy muscle and fuelling us. We are omnivores. Meat is fantastic, so full of nutrients. My diary is open if you want to see a healthy diet.
    I eat what I want within my goals. I'm full of health and vitality, much more so than most 45 year olds.