New to My Fitness Pal

Options
Hello everyone, been tracking two days now and decided to write my introduction. My Story - in 1998 I smoked two packs of Newport's a day. I wanted to quit, and still today, that's the hardest thing I ever did. Anyway, I wasn't that healthy at the time, but after quitting, my weight ballooned to 228 lbs (I'm 5'9") by summer/fall of '99. I keep those pics still today on my fridge. Later that fall, I had my annual physical and Doc said I was fine except I was fat, and we know what that means....if I didn't change, I could look forward to many 'lifestyle illnesses' as my late middle age approached. Plus I had a young daughter. Long story short, with the millennium new year pending (not to mention I was forced to go out and buy new clothes for the New Years party because I could not fit into anything) I dedicated myself to diet and exercise program starting in January 2000. By March, I was already down 25 lbs!. No one noticed and I recall complaining to my wife 'why is nobody noticing??' I asked her. Late in March I attended a meeting and went up to give my presentation and our plant manager stopped me mid sentence and blurted out 'what in heck has happened to you??' I beamed. Finally, somebody noticed the fruits of all that labor! Well it kept me going and by June I had dropped another 25 lbs. summer was here, I could fit in airplane seats, and best of all, I felt terrific. I went back to the doctor around that time for a follow up because she was helping me with this. Anyway, she walks into the little exam room, takes one look, and she blurts out "WHAT did you do?? here, you be the Doctor" and she takes her stethoscope and puts it around my neck! Another huge dose of positive reinforcement (extremely important). Needless to say it was a good visit and then came the challenge - "what's your plan to keep it off?" She asked. Hmmmmm, hadn't thought about that. Well the answer came in August. I entered a 5k local running race. Maybe there were 150 participants? Nothing huge. Well I finished the thing, and as I was watching the awards ceremony, a couple things were noteworthy. 1). They had age groups so you weren't competing against people in their 20s. 2). I noticed that some got louder cheers as they went up to get their little age group trinket than others, so I thought, hmmm, this must be a hobby of some kind, people actually pay money to inflict pain on themselves, and join running clubs. I had no idea these fitness people existed. Honestly. Gives you an idea of my values back then. I was one of those that believed there were only so many beats in the heart, so don't waste 'em (very wrong). They start calling out the 45-49 age group men, and suddenly I hear my name called as the third place finisher! My wife had to poke me. I don't think I was ever so proud of myself walking up to the announcer in front of all those fit people (I thought they were!) and get my little third place trophy! Me! Who pretty much got beat up in gym class by all the athletes in junior high school! Well that was it. I started entering these dam things every chance I could and as all addictive personalities know, this stuff was addicting too! Only it was a very healthy addiction. By spring of 2001, I ran my first marathon, and the next year - get this- I qualified for the Boston Marathon! I worked hard, but it goes to show that this fitness and health thing is like a snowball rolling downhill! Gotta have more and more! This is not meant to intimidate anybody. Obviously I had some hidden 'talent', but it was mostly mental. And I had such a huge chip on my shoulder from being heavy and from being called names for most of my life that it fueled me. I'm sure many of you can relate, right? Tell you what, when I entered the starting corral for the 107th running of The Boston Marathon in April of 2003, I thought back on what a strange but very quick trip this had been. Here I was in a world class event within 3 years after losing my weight, and just 5 removed from being a two pack-a-day smoker! Surrounded by some of the fittest people on the planet! Well, I broke down and cried right there before the starter gun and I am so very thankful. My life has changed. Now I'm the guy younger people around where I live go to to seek advice about this race or that. My addiction continued to the extent that I'm now a 6 time Ironman finisher (5 in my 50s, 1 last year after my 60th birthday and, oh and by the way, I never swam before! It can be done people! Believe it), and 15 full marathons, and countless other running races and Triathlons. I'm now near the top of my Age Group and last year I was recognized by Ironman by achieving All World status (top 15% globally). So my message is twofold - actually three - you all have it in you, the fuel, the chip to excel in something and show everybody what you really are, athletics or otherwise...2nd - the pursuit of fitness and health is self perpetuating (snowball rolling downhill) so it's not impossible to achieve whatever it is you choose to pursue, and 3rd, once you do change, you become a better person for those that rely on you - friends, family, coworkers, but most importantly perhaps, for yoursel!)

It's now many many years later, I hope my story helps keep you going on those tough days that are certain to come and if I can help anyone, don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you for taking the time to read my story, I cannot wait to read yours!

Yours truly,
Jeff D.
Sylvania, OH, USA

Replies