Why is my belly area not going down

Options
So I've lost about 28lbs so far and I'm so excited about this. I still have around 40 to go give or take before I reach my goal. My problem is I'm losing weight everywhere except my belly area. Even my wedding bands are loose now. While I'm happy with my fingers, breasts, and back fat leaving, I want to start to see some changes in my belly area. Tell me what I need to do differently.

I don't have access to fancy equipment. I usually walk or do exercise dvds for workouts. I'm not expecting a flat belly by no means necessary after carrying 5 children. I just want to start to see changes in that area.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fat leaves various areas of the body at different rates. Youve lost about 1/3 of your goal, just keep going. By the time you lose another 40 you'll be happier. You can't spot reduce.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce, genetics determine when and where fat comes off and how it went on in the first place. If you just keep at it it'll go down eventually, you can do workouts to tone but that will not spot reduce. You can do it just stick with it! :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Fat leaves various areas of the body at different rates. Youve lost about 1/3 of your goal, just keep going. By the time you lose another 40 you'll be happier. You can't spot reduce.

Correct.

In addition, for many people the stomach region is the slowest to lose. As in it happens at some point during the last 10 pounds of weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Correct.

In addition, for many people the stomach region is the slowest to lose. As in it happens at some point during the last 10 pounds of weight loss.

well I have between 15 and 25 to go(to goal weight) and still have a little bit of a pooch as some call it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Yes. And any fancy equipment, diet, or lifting/cardio program that claims you can is a LIAR and you should 180 as soon as you see it.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What everybody else said. Where our bodies store fat is luck of the genetic draw, and a pretty common scenario is last on-first off, so you'll probably see the weight come off in the reverse order of how you put it on. Was your belly the first part of you to gain fat? If so, it's probably going to be the last place you see it come off.

It *will* come off if you keep losing weight, but there's nothing short of surgery that will take weight off a specific target spot, and anyone promising otherwise is either misinformed or lying.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    If you could spot reduce I wouldn't have a hip waist ratio that puts me in the obese category.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess it's silly of me to get upset about my belly anyway. The alternative (continuing to gain weight) was certainly not the answer. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

And yes, my belly was the first place I started to gain weight in years ago. So I'm guessing it'll just be the last area to go.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess it's silly of me to get upset about my belly anyway. The alternative (continuing to gain weight) was certainly not the answer. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

And yes, my belly was the first place I started to gain weight in years ago. So I'm guessing it'll just be the last area to go.

No it's not. There's nothing wrong with disliking a part of your body. I'd deck anybody who told me to just like my body the way it is. It's my body, **** off. As long as you can look forward and you're not obsessing over it, it's okay to desire something different. And the best news in the world is that if you still don't like it once you get to goal weight (I bet you will though), you can engage in some strength training to alter it's shape. Lots of options, lots to look forward to:)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight everywhere, some parts even too much, yet my belly still protrudes like I'm pregnant! There's a pic in my profile that I took a couple of days ago (black pants, red tanktop) that shows what I mean :cry:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

This is a great shift in outlook!
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Thanks again everyone.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Eliminate starchy foods and sugar. Best wishes.
  • aureliem1a
    aureliem1a Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just keep eating healthy... Avoid sugars n processed food. If I were u, I would do a few core exercises n high intensity workout. :) u will get there, be patient.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    For s female, according to the cosmetic surgeon who performed my tummy tuck, you can diet and exercise and never see the success that you would like in your tummy area. I had the cosmetic surgical procedure and I am very pleased with the result. My tummy is flat. Worth the investment to have it done. You will love the results.
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As already said you can't spot reduce but you can still work on toning your abdomen muscles :) good luck with the rest of your weightless journey!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    For s female, according to the cosmetic surgeon who performed my tummy tuck, you can diet and exercise and never see the success that you would like in your tummy area. I had the cosmetic surgical procedure and I am very pleased with the result. My tummy is flat. Worth the investment to have it done. You will love the results.

That's fabulous for people with money to blow on that. For me, that's a fantasy that will never happen and while it is an option, it's not a realistic one for a lot of people.

My belly is my nemesis. It's the last place I lose and the first place it sticks back on. I will just keep on keepin' on and hope one day it gets a little flatter.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My belly is definitely the last place to go. I don't remember it being the first place to gain (started gaining too long ago and really just didn't pay attention) but I'm guessing it was.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eliminate starchy foods and sugar. Best wishes.

Are you able to provide any evidence, or maybe just a rationale as to why doing this would have any effect on the fatty tissue that OP is talking about?