Injured and scared

Hi all! Was a happy runner forever and have prioritized exercise for a long time. However, over the past few months I've had some sort of injury that is making it hard to walk forget about working out. We've ruled out a spine prob, now we are looking into hip issue. I'm terrified of what it could be. I've been dealing w this since October. Ive been recovered from anorexia for many years, but have continued to occasionally battle periods of bingeing. I'm finding that's rearing its head again as the stress of not working out is getting to me. I think I'm just looking for some assurance that sticking to calorie will give me some weight loss. I'm terrified of restricting again. The biggest challenge has been the lack of stress relief that I got from my workouts. I have another doc appt next week. This has been endless.

Replies

• charissec1
    charissec1 Posts: 9 Member
    That sounds terrible :( Best of luck to you! Hang in there!
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Thank you!!!
  • avillalnazo
    avillalnazo Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Have you considered the pool! Some aquatic excersises would be easier on your joints! Good luck to you! Wish you the best!
  • Mersie1
    I've never liked swimming, prob bec I'm not very good at it, but I think I'm going to have to. Trying hard to not let my frustration kill my motivation. Eating consistently , without going to either extreme has always been what I've struggled with. I'm going to dig in hard to eat the amount I'm supposed to! Easier said then done I know.
  • alisakorneyeva
    alisakorneyeva Posts: 39 Member
    Im so sorry to hear about this!
    We are all here for you to help you be motivated.
    I have suffered injuries before from my own sport (skiing), which have made me terrified and made me rigid on the slopes, completely not letting me enjoy what I love and making me simply be more injured.
    I also suffered from anorexia before, but honestly the best motivation can be your love for the sport, activities, and your family and friends. My mom motivates me so much, along with my boyfriend.
    You just have to get back to your roots (:
    I hope sharing this helped!
  • Mersie1
    Thanks so much! I couldn't believe I recovered from anorexia, then swung to bingeing. Now I'm somewhere in between but feel the pull to restrict again which terrifies me. As such, I'll end up bingeing to prevent myself from restricting. Not much better. I hope I can do this. I may be injured for quite a bit liner, who knows. I MUST get my eating in check before my health starts to suffer. I just keep telling myself, I think I can I think I can!

Thanks so much for you support!
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    I don't usually use the forum, but saw the hip subject and figured I'd jump in to offer hope.

It's probably better that it turn out to be a joint issue that a back issue. Disks, nerves, back issues can be tough and even permanent. Joints are fairly easy to deal with.

I'm speaking as one who has dealt with a hip injury. Mine was a torn labrum, but probably not your problem as mine with torn from a high impact injury.

If I had to guess, you have bursitis or some other inflammation. Its not too bad. For OTC I'd recommend an oil supplement and extra vitamin C. Both are great in dealing with inflammation. As for the doctor route, if they find it is inflammation, a quick shot will take care of it, and a good rest and stretch recovery time.

There is hope! I've seen plenty of people who thought they were having a back issue when really it was simply hip inflammation. The inflammation throws off your bio-mechanics, putting your hips out of alignment and causing back pain. The fix is super easy!!! Don't stress!
  • Mersie1
    Thanks so much! The spine doc actually said he wouldn't be surprised if it was a torn labrum. I appreciate you reaching out. I'm hoping to turn this into the best thing to happen to me as it gives me a chance to get my eating balanced without obsessing or linking it to working out. For many years I've had problems going to extremes. My eating and working out will be both great, but if I have to skip a workout or an just not able to push myself, I get rattled and my eating goes off the rails. New day, new attitude, I will do this! Hoping for good news about my hip next week but regardless, I'll feel good about my eating. Thanks again!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2016
    Look into physical therapy if you can afford it. I was dealing with a hamstring problem for almost a year, and wasnt able to do any strenuous exercise without it flaring up again for several days after. I had mri's done, doctors opinions and got misdiagnosed, treated for the wrong things, and now finally I decided to try PT as a last resort and I already feel almost back to normal after 4 visits
  • Mersie1
    That's amazing! I started w pt back in oct, dry needling, then a course of prednisone, the a spinal injection. Have had a hip x Ray and ultrasound and a spine MRI. No one can see anything but my leg is really weak. Can't even stand on it to put on my show. Broke
    My foot in June, was in a walking boot for 3 months. Had a month where I felt great, was running and lifting again, walking my dogs no prob, then all of a sudden pain and weakness. So odd! Thanks for reaching out. I may look into pt again after my hip appt next week.
  • KillerKel01
    KillerKel01 Posts: 16 Member
    Hello Mersie1,
    I am also concerned for your well being. I will remember you and try to send positive thoughts your way. An internal medicine doctor is where I would start with the information you have provided. I would also have some blood labs done to see where your body is at with your medical history and if your diet is up to par with your fitness levels. Having a medical history of anorexia, perhaps you are able to contact past medical personnel for nutrition support. A neurologist may need to look into your condition. A person with a history of anorexia may have damaged nerves, neurons, and myelin sheath of each cell affected. Dehydration and malnutrition will seriously affect the bones and inhibit bone growth (osteopenia is lower density of bone than it should be). Exercise only helps bone growth when there is proper nutrition and proper hydration. The one thing I know for sure, that TRUMPS ALL, is the fact that the mind is strong and can work miracles. If you concentrate, and perhaps even meditate every day that your medical team and you are going to find, address and beat this issue, you will lower your stress level and your brain will help correct the underlying issue. There are many exercises to keep the body in shape. Sounds like you are focusing on the gross motor groups. You may want to research the fine motor skills or dexterity skills for now, until you're back in full action. Change in our body can be a difficult transition, only if we fight it. Open your mind, there's more than one way to exercise. I have worked in rehab and am a witness to miracles. Just look at the mental strength of Steven Hawkins. Doctors said he wouldn't last a year. Mind over matter Mersie1, you can do this!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Have you ever had proper help with the psychological aspects of your eating disorder in the past? Injuries are frightening, but it seems you are more concerned about weight gain than your hip or spine? I know you mentioned that you are recovered from anorexia for many years, but it sounds like your fears never really went away but you just kept a tight lid on them by controlling your exercise?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    I have a torn acl (old injury that recurred the other day). I haven't been able to run more than one time in the past year and 4 months. I continued to lose weight just by sticking to my calorie goals. It's a little harder since you don't have any buffer of exercise, but it's totally doable. Set your goal to something reasonable, like a lb per week or half pound per week, stick to it, and you should see results.

I personally gained 13 lbs over the holidays, taking my 50 lb weight loss down to, what, 37? (bad math lol) i intend to get back to the calorie deficit and do some low-impact exercises just for a tiny bit of buffer, and hopefully the Wright will come back off, plus the last 20 lbs.

Good luck!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Hi there, I agree with CollieFit on this. I think you still need to see a doctor about your body issues. It's good that you were able to use exercise to help control it, but it doesn't sound like you actually got to the root of the problem - it was like putting a bandaid on a cut that needed stitches.

Controlling calories without going to extremes will definitely help you to not gain weight, but please see a doctor... you shouldn't be having this much anxiety over weight gain, when you have a physical injury to deal with. Best of luck to you!!
  • Mersie1
    Thank you all for the suggestions and support. I continue to see a therapist and nutrionist who both specialize in eating disorders, however I am only seeing them 1 x month bec of $$$. Even w their support these have been a diff several months. My priority is healing and my main concern is my physical health. My weight gain concerns me less however I know any amount of weight gain can exacerbate hip issues as I am no longer under weight.

I certainly think it's very possible that this injury is due even in part to my previous malnourishment despite that being several years ago.

I just uploaded some guided meditations to my phone and made a list of process oriented goals, not outcome based ones.

I will do this. A quite my friend just sent me is "you don't have to see the whole staircase to take the first step." I'm determined to make this the best thing that ever happened to me as it gives the opportunity to try to normalize my eating and work on my coping skills without the "opportunity" to mask my issues through over exercise . I am surrounded by people who have an obsession w working out and focus way too much on "eating well." It may not be a full on eating disorder but I would say it's at least disordered eating. This includes my husband.

I'm going to do what I need to do. Thank you again for caring enough to share your thoughts.

I wish you all the best!