All things chickpea

Options
2»

Replies

• Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Oh my god guys! I just discovered so much deliciousness! I always make my own hummus and usually just use chickpeas from the can. Well for the first time I used dried chickpeas because I heard they make better hummus. Holy heavenly hummus they were right! It is so unbelievably smooth and creamy. Ugh! I'm doing my happy hummus dance!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    I totally agree with you about chick pea, one of the best beans on the market is sold at Trader Joe's @ $0.99 per can and they are organic cooked with sea salt - not as salty as Goya brand.

$0.99 for a can is way too expensive on a regular basis, especially when buying them dry and soaking them is easy and so much cheaper.

I buy big bags of them for cheap, cook them in the slow cooker (no soaking required) and then freeze them in 1 and 2 cup portions.

Side note, recently have been getting into chick pea flour.

• quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @punkrockgoth Where do you buy chick pea flour?! I've been looking for it and can't find it!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    quzzdragon wrote: »
    @punkrockgoth Where do you buy chick pea flour?! I've been looking for it and can't find it!

Indian section of the grocery store! It's also called gram flour, besan flour or chana flour. I found a huge bag at a nearby ethnic foods store and it was dirt cheap!
  • worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I made roasted chick peas, onions and cauliflower... A little olive oil and whatever seasoning you like, I used seasoned salt, crushed red pepper, paprika, garlic powder and a bit of curry powder... It was good!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bought a big bag of frozen green chickpeas at Costco...hadn't seen them before. Perfect to add to a salad.
  • robinihrie
    robinihrie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How does everyone store their roasted chick peas? I'd like to make a big batch and keep them in a jar to use thruought the week. Would I need to refrigerate them or just keep in pantry?
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread!!! I love chickpeas :love:
  • KVS1985
    KVS1985 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love stewed chickpeas. I make a big batch and eat for a couple of days.

2 can of chickpeas
    2 tomatoes diced
    1 Serrano pepper minced or sliced
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    2-3 tbsp of cilantro (added in the end)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients minus the cilantro in a saucepan and boil. Then turn down to stew for a bit. At the end add the cilantro.