ADHD

Options
UrBaconMeCr8zy
UrBaconMeCr8zy Posts: 15,395 Member
Ok hear me out...i feel like people with ADHD have got to burn more calories just in general....right?

Replies

• elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No. I don't think many adults display the hyperactive component as far as jumping around and stuff. Our brains stay hyperactive, we stay impulsive, and fidgety - not really bouncing off the walls physically. Though I have wondered if the amphetamine medication speeds the metabolism or not. It definitely helps with the eating though. I can't take my meds before I eat or I won't be able to even finish the meal. And then I completely forget about food and water for the next 8-10 hours.
  • KillerKel01
    KillerKel01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From what I can understand is the cerebral glucose metabolism in adults with hyperactivity of childhood onset, typically have a faster metabolism. This means, even if they are not "bouncing off the walls" as adults, their metabolism is typically faster. This could play out in the brain, as constant thoughts of any subject but are typically in the form of trying to solve or worry about an issue. Nervous energy, some with ADHD will rock when in a sitting position because this provides a comforting feeling. Some expend excess energy with deeper, faster breathing that is "trained" and the common person may not even notice the different breathing pattern. There are many ways that excess energy can be expended. It is my lay opinion that the person with ADHD will burn more calories than a person without ADHD. May I add, I believe this for most, but not indicative of all cases of ADHD.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    elv1ra wrote: »
    No. I don't think many adults display the hyperactive component as far as jumping around and stuff. Our brains stay hyperactive, we stay impulsive, and fidgety - not really bouncing off the walls physically. Though I have wondered if the amphetamine medication speeds the metabolism or not. It definitely helps with the eating though. I can't take my meds before I eat or I won't be able to even finish the meal. And then I completely forget about food and water for the next 8-10 hours.

I don't take meds anymore as I lost too much weight because I was never hungry!! Many ADD/ADHD suffers are over weight due to the compulsive nature we have and the inability to have self control...so most woman with the condition have eating issues, I'm either compulsive healthy and fit as a fiddle or I'm lazy and unmotivated to eat right but my weight is never excessive even though I at times eat like a horse, but healthy or unhealthy I eat a lot!! people say that's because I can't sit still and even at 38 years old I still haven't been able to find the balance between losing or gaining I want to recomp so bad but I've always failed at it :( so as too you question is our metabolism higher no I dont think so but they way our minds work our general activity levels may be higher so we might burn more, then the way we are wired we also may eat to excess and also have weight issues.....yes we are a confusing bunch lol I even confuse myself haha
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Are you on meds?
  • summerkissed
    Options
    This health and fitness thing is the only thing I'm good at!!! I've been trying for 20 years to complete my personal training certificates but I just keep failing!! I know the stuff but I just can't get the courses the paper work finished!! So if you have any questions just ask
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I'm the inattentive type ADD B)
  • summerkissed
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Inattentive is generally suffered by girls, I was on Dex for a long time the side effects didn't go away so they put me on downers as well then I got side effects from them....in the end I was a different person :unamused: so I threw them all away
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I was told once a person that fidgets there fingers or feet may use an extra 50cals a day but in the scheme of things really it needs to be looked as a bonus rather than extra calories burned.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    B) That's what I'm here for hahaha
  • amandajpiper
    amandajpiper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My boys have off the charts ADHD. I've made some major changes to their diet and they've admitted they feel much better now and even avoid eating trigger foods when they're off my watch! (And they're only 9!)

We cut out all processed foods, anything dyed, artificially flavoured, additives, chemicals, dyes, etc. And we limit sugar to 6-9 grams per day (seriously tough as every kid marketed food is full of it!) They are medicated but are on the lowest dosage possible. The low dose of meds combined with diet has helped them 10 folds in the classroom.

Weekends I stuff them full of minion cookies and Star Wars yogurts and set them loose on the sledding hills and ice rink.
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Summer kissed: I'd love a tip or some thing - I didn't know we could do this! I mean taking good care of ourselves.!
    (I don't end up eating lunch till 2 or 3 or 4 and am running to catch up on daily bare necessities and struggle with the low-self-esteem/ depression that often overlaps with an extreme case of inattentive-ADD with eating issues.)
    How would you imagine I can fit in self-care if I can get myself to get things done?
    Inspired this can be done :D.
    Congrats - you must really have mastered parts of yourself
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    some adhd so does my son - this website is the first real thing i have formed a habit with in a long time.. house cleaning i still haven't accomplished, but this is a good start because i have to get up and move. - via housecleaning. so I am logging some of my chores and seeing which days i did them.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    oh mine is a mind thing more... i can go some many directions , distracted, spacey at times, forgetful
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    Ginny218 wrote: »
    some adhd so does my son - this website is the first real thing i have formed a habit with in a long time.. house cleaning i still haven't accomplished, but this is a good start because i have to get up and move. - via housecleaning. so I am logging some of my chores and seeing which days i did them.

Have you tried making lists? I have a lot of lists, calendars too. Everything is written in a planner, including the chores I do- kids activities- meals.

I find that if you get everything into one place- it's easier to deal with, 1) cause you don't have to search all over the place for 20 different things & 2) because it's creates discipline and routine- both are keys to sucessfully managing a home/life when your brain is in 300 different places at once.

There are a ton of resources online- ideas for every struggle imaginable, you should look into them and adapt some to your needs. You won't regret it.

This is also what I do lists, lists and more lists!!
    Summer kissed: I'd love a tip or some thing - I didn't know we could do this! I mean taking good care of ourselves.!
    (I don't end up eating lunch till 2 or 3 or 4 and am running to catch up on daily bare necessities and struggle with the low-self-esteem/ depression that often overlaps with an extreme case of inattentive-ADD with eating issues.)
    How would you imagine I can fit in self-care if I can get myself to get things done?
    Inspired this can be done :D.
    Congrats - you must really have mastered parts of yourself

Lifting weights actually helps me a lot!!! I use a gym timer so again it's fully controlled stops me getting bored and having a mediocre workout! The feeling of being strong gives me confidence I guess I don't look at it as self care, I look at it as the only thing I'm good at doing!!