Shirataki

Options
Splitbygreg
Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
hey all. Was reading about these little buggers and I want to try cooking with them. Anyone have any healthy and low carb recipes that call for Shirataki noodles???

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Stir frys or replacing the noodles in soup with them
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love shirataki noodles!! I buy the proper ones made from Japanese yams because they have a long list of health benefits. There is a soy version around, but it's basically only made to look like the original kind. It's not the same.

One trick I will tell you is how to prepare them for using in a stir fry - rinse them very well (they should come packed in water if they are genuine) then dry completely on paper towel. Toss them into a dry non stick pan, without any oil, and try to "crisp" them a bit. It will take a while so do this before you start the rest of you stir fry. When the noodles are a bit crispy in places (judge it yourself) add them to your stir fry.

I find this nicer than just as they come out of the packet. Add a bit of lite soy sauce and garlic and you've got the base for a great stir fry
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »
    One trick I will tell you is how to prepare them for using in a stir fry - rinse them very well (they should come packed in water if they are genuine) then dry completely on paper towel. Toss them into a dry non stick pan, without any oil, and try to "crisp" them a bit. It will take a while so do this before you start the rest of you stir fry. When the noodles are a bit crispy in places (judge it yourself) add them to your stir fry.

So much this. They are a million times better when prepped properly. I use them exclusively for Asian-style noodles dishes. Usually ones that call for rice noodles such as Pad Thai or Peanut Noodles. They do not make a good substitute for pasta in Italian-style dishes.

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Rinse them a looong time. I then boil for a few mins just to get the fishy smell out.

I use them in place of pasta and rice. They will pick up all the sauce or curry. Yummy!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

So much this. They are a million times better when prepped properly. I use them exclusively for Asian-style noodles dishes. Usually ones that call for rice noodles such as Pad Thai or Peanut Noodles. They do not make a good substitute for pasta in Italian-style dishes.

Exactly. You need to do the dry fry method, and they taste "right" in Asian dishes.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I had my first experience with them the other day. I made a light version of shrimp scampi and added them to the pan (after rinsing, drying and cutting them up a little) they soaked up all of the broth and garlic. I thought they tasted like ramen noodles and could have benefited from some salt, but other than that I'd try them again. I'm intrigued by the stir-fry suggestions.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    Stir frys or replacing the noodles in soup with them

Exactly. You need to do the dry fry method, and they taste "right" in Asian dishes.

Alright I'm thinking an onion soup and stir fry. I'll be sure to head over to the Asian super market and get yam ones. Thanks for the tips on preparing as well...always enjoy cooking new healthy foods.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Buy one package to try first. I made the mistake of buying multiple packs for a deal & threw the balance away after trying the first bag. Not for me, I'd rather eat rubber bands.
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love them but the others are right. Preparing them by rinsing very well, drying them with paper towel, then drying them out in a frying pain makes all the difference. Also they smell like bad fish when you first open the bag and that's normal. Ignore it. It goes away if you rinse them very well. I've used them only in Asian dishes so far so not sure how well they work in Italian dishes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Rinse well and dry fry those suckers. I get the macaroni shaped ones a lot and use laughing cow cheese and chicken sausage to make meaty "mac and cheese". I eat it like...every night.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I like them in Asian dishes. My fave is to rinse and dry fry them a little to evaporate some of the moisture. I toss in some carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, and extra firm tofu blocks. Season with sesame oil, honey, and shoyu to taste. Garnish with sriracha and sesame seeds and its the bomb reincarnated.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Rinse well and dry fry those suckers. I get the macaroni shaped ones a lot and use laughing cow cheese and chicken sausage to make meaty "mac and cheese". I eat it like...every night.

Idk what laughing cow is bit that sounds really good. Sounds like a good snack
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I like them in Asian dishes. My fave is to rinse and dry fry them a little to evaporate some of the moisture. I toss in some carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, and extra firm tofu blocks. Season with sesame oil, honey, and shoyu to taste. Garnish with sriracha and sesame seeds and its the bomb reincarnated.

That sounds good too. Think I would substitute the tofu with shrimp though. Beef would be nice too I think.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    I love them but the others are right. Preparing them by rinsing very well, drying them with paper towel, then drying them out in a frying pain makes all the difference. Also they smell like bad fish when you first open the bag and that's normal. Ignore it. It goes away if you rinse them very well. I've used them only in Asian dishes so far so not sure how well they work in Italian dishes.

I have never dry fried anything. I'm sure I'll get it though, I like to think I'm a pretty solid cook. Worse case, I mess up a batch ha.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I have never dry fried anything. I'm sure I'll get it though, I like to think I'm a pretty solid cook. Worse case, I mess up a batch ha.

It means put it in the pan...without any oil or water. Dry fry.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Buy one package to try first. I made the mistake of buying multiple packs for a deal & threw the balance away after trying the first bag. Not for me, I'd rather eat rubber bands.

word
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As a yummy lazy dinner I like to just make a simple ramen with some chicken or veggie broth, chicken or shrimp and the noodles. I use a whole bag if I'm really hungry(only 30 cals!!) Or half bag if only a little hungry. I personally love the chewy texture (I get the nasoya brand), they're almost exactly like ramen noodles. The noodles need to be seasoned more than the broth provides so i add some garlic powder, onion powder, little salt if it needs it. I used to love top ramen so this really hits the spot and is ridiculously filling
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    As a yummy lazy dinner I like to just make a simple ramen with some chicken or veggie broth, chicken or shrimp and the noodles. I use a whole bag if I'm really hungry(only 30 cals!!) Or half bag if only a little hungry. I personally love the chewy texture (I get the nasoya brand), they're almost exactly like ramen noodles. The noodles need to be seasoned more than the broth provides so i add some garlic powder, onion powder, little salt if it needs it. I used to love top ramen so this really hits the spot and is ridiculously filling

That sounds super good and filling. I wanted to make something similar to that tonight but my Kroger only had the tofu noodles. I'll have to wait until the weekend to go to the international market.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    So Sunday I pan dried the noodles and then added them to the crock pot and mixed it in with steak, mushrooms, bell peppers, snow peas, and carrots, in a lite soy sauce mixture. I wish I would have had more noodles...I used two bags for about 7 servings of food. It was nowhere near enough. The serving size on the back of the bag is a bit low...live and learn. The meal was good though.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time

I really didnt like them to start with
    But was intriged by so many people who did. And after some post here on MFP of members i thought try again.

Now i make stir fries with them and all other kind of combinations

11235435_1528435690819003_5388322890386361918_n.jpg?oh=1ea082544eede57a5d7401f098217c3d&oe=5762CE55