AWKWARD Shopper Needs Groceries TIPS!

Options
Not all of us are naturals at looking like they know what they're doing while visiting the supermarket.
I for one HATE shopping and that's one of the causes I relapse. I get overwhelmed by all the choices and just end up getting yogurt and a loaf of bread... Please provide TIPS on your game plan for shopping and getting the job DONE!
• Tried lists on paper and iPhone and I still miss things.
• I am confused, what are the staple foods?
• do you shop per recipe or for the whole week?

THANKS SO MUCH! Add me too :-)

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into online shopping? It could be a good way of ensuring you don't get distracted.

I have a couple of student cookbooks which give some lists of staple foods - great to get you started with some storecupboard items. From there you can expand, and in the same way I would approach buying cocktail ingredients, I would find a few recipes you like, maybe some with overlapping ingredients, and buy just those items for now.

storecupboard basics would be things like:

rice and grains
    tinned tomatoes
    tinned beans
    tinned tuna
    pasta
    a variety of spices - simple spices like salt, pepper, and for me paprika is a must.
    oil for cooking

also:
    a loaf of bread
    butter
    eggs
    some cheese
    milk
    yoghurt
    vegetables - carrots, potatoes, green vegetables and salad veg is a must.

To be honest that is probably all you need to start (if only that was all I had in my cupboard!) and then work through some recipe books buying whatever is needed for those. The freezer is your friend.
  • ShrinkingScientist
    Options
    If you get overwhelmed I think one of the best things to do is go get produce, meat, eggs. Basically the stuff that has a short shelf life (so usually the perimeter of the store).

Then use something like Amazon pantry to fill in with any of the other stuff that you want.

I shop per week, though sometimes I have to stop in to get something specific for a recipe.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I do a loop around the perimeter, veggies, meat, milk, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese. This is weekly stuff. Then I go down only the aisles where I know there are things I need (so, not the candy aisle. ) thus is semi-weekly or monthly things. Rice, barley, dried lentils, dried beans, spices, coffee, tea, pickled beets (addicted), and some frozen peas/ veggies (cheaper than fresh ones.) nut butter, some nuts, canned tuna, etc.

There are extras here and there...but not important. These above things usually give me what I need to make almost anything I like.

For veggies I get things like cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, radiahes, beets, turnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, ginger root, tomatoes. Trying to work in more greens, but still a little flummoxed over how to prepare them. That's just me, you may differ.

For fruit: bananas,apples, oranges. In the summer, when they are I. Season and cheaper: peaches plums, apricots cherries, berries etc, but I refuse to pay what they charge for those things in the winter.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    So I shop for a few weeks at a time and will top up the veg as I run out, the meat normally lasts a while In the freezer. Below are my normal buys for a biggish shop (and I cook... A lot!!)
    Peppers (mixed and xtra red)
    Leeks
    Cabbage, green and red
    Kale
    Spinach
    Beetroot ( pickled and fresh)
    Butternut squash
    Pak choi
    Sugar snap peas
    Mangetout
    Baby sweetcorn
    Beansprouts

Turkey breast
    Turkey lean mince
    Beef lean mince
    Steak
    Salmon fillets
    Fish pie fish mix
    Prawns
    Tuna steak
    A whole chicken

Coconut oil
    Noodle nests
    Fresh chilli
    Fresh ginger
    Garlic
    Tinned tomatoes
    Passata
    Tomato puree
    Wholegrain rice
    Couscous
    Polenta
    Eggs
    Wholewheat seeded bread

If you buy these, you have millions of recipe options that are healthy and packed of flavour! !!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Ahh forgot fruit!!! My fruit staples are bananas, apples, grapes and blueberries!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    First time buying food?
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    When I'm writing a shopping list for the weekly shop, my process generally goes like this: Plan dinners for the week, work out what I need to buy for those, then add lunches/snacks to the list (things like tins of soup and yoghurts), before adding general things I need to top up (household items, coffee, sugar etc). I then show the list to my other half, or if we're putting together an online shop he'll log on to the website and add any extra items he wants. Throughout the week if I notice that we're running low on something, I'll add it to a list I keep on my phone so I'm not trying to remember everything from scratch when the time comes to do a shop.

I always try to make sure I have pasta, jar sauces and instant noodles (a habit from my student days) in the house in case I want to make something quick and easy that isn't on the list.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of good questions! What you need to do, is get a flow going between pantry - meal plan - shopping.

Start by planning your meals. In fact, first, look at you calendar, when do you have to be places and do things and when do you have time to cook? Plot in meals that fit your schedule. Pick a selection of meals that you like and know how to make and any new ones if you would like to try.

Then, go through your cupboards and make a list of all foodstuff you have - grains and flour, herbs and spices, tins and jars - these are your staples. Do the same with you fridge and freezer. Now, see if you can combine any of those foods into real meals. Add those to your meal plan, focusing on fridge foods that will expire soon.

Now that you know what you have, you need to find out what you need: Look at the meals you have coming up for the next seven days. Find the corresponding recipes, and by checking the lists of your stock, write down somewhere (you may have to try different media here) what is not in your pantry, fridge or freezer. Decide if there are any redundant items - you don't need ten different types of pasta or 13 different kinds of beans; vinegar can be replaced by lemon juice; maybe you don't even like all of the herbs in a recipe, it will still be tasty if you omit some of it.

Add any items that go into meals that you don't have to really plan for, just to stock up for, this usually means breakfast foods, fruit, milk, and nonfood (toilet paper, toothpaste, dog food). Take that list with you to the store. Stick to the list as closely as you can.

These are the basics. After a while, you'll learn your own tricks and shortcuts, and it starts to get fun and interesting.

I shop for fruit and vegetables twice a week (for the next three or four days). Then I top up with milk, meat and fish, crispbread etc, whenever.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Pro tip: make a list before going.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    To avoid being overwhelmed...

Try just planning for a couple of days.

Start building your pantry gradually.

Make a list of the meals that you enjoy and then find a recipe. (If you are a novice cook make sure that it is simple and easy to prepare.

Make a list of a few snacks...fruits...cereal...etc...etc

Then make a shopping list.

Rinse and repeat.

My son gets overwhelmed at the grocery too and ends up coming home with very little. He does okay if he shops smaller stores such as Trader Joes...Sprouts...etc...etc. They are smaller stores and not so many options.

• jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My top tips:

Never grocery shop hungry- you will leave with much more than what you need.
    Try to plan out what you are going to eat for bkfast, lunch, dinner, snacks for a week. Start with your calendar- there may be days a crockpot dinner or eating out might be your option over a high prep meal if you are short on time.
    Check and see what you already have in your fridge/freezer pantry.
    Make a list from there- I like to use Grocery IQ app on the iPhone because it organizes my list by aisle and it remembers what I bought before.
    Some weekly staples for me and my daughter are:
    Fresh fruits- strawberries, oranges, bananas, etc whatever is on sale that week
    Veggies fresh and frozen- Lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, zuchinni, cauliflower, etc
    Yogurts, eggs, milk
    Rotissirie chicken
    I usually add some other type of meat based on what I am cooking that week, but sometimes I can just dig from my deep freezer. I try and stock up on chicken and other items when they go on clearance and freeze them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Pro tip: make a list before going.

WITCHCRAFT!!!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I shop alot--for five, and have for a long time. When I am running out of something I quick write it down on a list I keep handy in the kitchen. I pour over the weekly specials and write down what interests me. I usually go to the same grocery store so I know where everything is located.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Practice. Start with a short list to make one meal. Buy everything on the list. Don't leave the store until every item is crossed off.

Repeat.

Then expand to more than one meal.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...you didn't say how experienced you were at cooking. Because of your age I am going to assume that you are just starting out.

Google...recipes with 5 ingredients of less...maybe even 3 ingredients or less.

As you gain experience you can try more advanced recipes. This will also help with your shopping since you won't need to buy as much at one time. It will also allow you to build your pantry slowly if you are on a budget.

Roasted vegetables are easy and require few ingredients. All you need is the vegetable...a little oil...salt & pepper (or seasoning of choice). Add in a protein and you have a complete meal.

If you want a desert you can add in an ice cream bar. Skinny Cow...Weight Watchers...a few other brands have fairly good tasting bars and the calorie counts are reasonable.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    tip for not getting overwhelmed - music. I know a couple people who hate grocery shopping. They let me in on their secret, They plan ahead what they need and which isles to hit but they also put in their earbuds and rock out while shopping. Helps take some of the stress out of it.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I only find shopping stressful when I go with people who are in a hurry. It isn't like walking through a haunted house or something.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are about a dozen recipes that I repeat over and over, which need the staples I have on hand and whatever I've picked up fresh. I have all the spices and baking needs on hand so each shopping trip is simply filling in the blanks. All my thinking was done decades ago. You are just starting out so it will take a little more planning.

I plan my meals around my meat, having always noodles, rice, bread and potatoes for the carb, and whatever vegetables I've picked up that week.

If choice overwhelms you, pick:
    Vegetables and Fruit - whatever is fresh on sale that week. Get bright green and dark orange vegetables. I always have carrots, lettuce, apples, and onions. This time of year the citrus fruits are the freshest.
    Meats - pick up hamburger, something chicken (breast, whole chicken or chicken thighs; whatever is on sale), and steaks (pork or beef)
    Carbs - noodles, rice, bread, and potatoes. To help you choose, pick the cheapest.
    Fats - a cooking oil, margarine, and butter
    Eggs. Always have eggs on hand. You can make dozens of meals out of eggs.
    Dairy - if you like yogurt, pick up yogurt.

A starter set of spices includes salt, pepper, cinnamon, oregano, chili powder and garlic powder.

We don't have Aldi's here, but I suspect it has fewer brand choices? We have a similar discount store here. Fewer choices, less stress.