OLD FAT

Options
When I started my weight loss journey a few years ago I was aiming for 150 lbs and 15% body fat. The 150 was based on a nice round number that was smack in the middle of the “Healthy” BMI range for a person of my stature. I am a little less clear on where the 15% number came from. In any event, I made my weight goal on the eve of my 60th birthday back in November. I then proceeded to celebrate my way all of the way up to 160 by the end of the year. Having recently gotten back under 150, I celebrated by having my body fat measured by air displacement plethysmography. That number came in at 14.6% which agreed almost perfectly with my skinfold measurement. The piece of paper with my BOD POD results said my number put me in the “Moderately Lean” range which was “acceptable” but said I would need to get under 12% to make it into the “Lean” range which qualifies as “Excellent”. That led me back to the chart that came with my skinfold caliper. On that chart, my current body fat is already well below the “Ideal” range for a man of my years which leads me to my real question. Why is an ideal fat percentage 10½% for a 20 year old man but twice that number for a man three times that age? An afternoon of googling has failed to answer this question in an even vaguely satisfactory way.

Replies

• briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Because as we age we lose muscle . It's highly unlikely for a person over 60 to have the same muscle to fat ratio as a 20yr old. Especially in men. Testosterone levels go down significantly after fourty, changing body composition. So what is normal at 40 isn't normal at 18.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's not

There's a range at each age that is deemed healthy and yes it increases as we age based on how and where we hold fat but it's aligned with general population markers by my understanding (as with the BMI scale).

Lean is not necessarily the best - that's just the category (your bodpod people classify as excellent probably to get repeat business) - for your body shape and desired aesthetic you may suit a higher BF%.

I know that I certainly don't want my BF to drop any further as my personal aesthetic is soft but strong, others may wish for more muscle definition which would require lower than my current 23% . IMHO as we age we look best carrying a little more BF. Also if not careful our musculature diminishes, I'm pretty sure the ranges are based on statistical norms and the assumption is made that is the case - if you're athletic and follow a progressive resistance programme then it would be more likely that you'd be an outlier on the curve eg beyond the confidence interval

PS women and men BF% are very different

I'll go and find the BF charts - they are good guidelines
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart2.jpg

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It's not

There's a range at each age that is deemed healthy and yes it increases as we age based on how and where we hold fat but it's aligned with general population markers by my understanding (as with the BMI scale).

Lean is not necessarily the best - that's just the category (your bodpod people classify as excellent probably to get repeat business) - for your body shape and desired aesthetic you may suit a higher BF%.

I know that I certainly don't want my BF to drop any further as my personal aesthetic is soft but strong, others may wish for more muscle definition which would require lower than my current 23% . IMHO as we age we look best carrying a little more BF

PS women and men BF% are very different

I'll go and find the BF charts - they are good guidelines

I totally agree! Having a little extra body fat does have a healthier appearance.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There are lots of resources out there that say people can build muscle at any age. I would think if a person is more sedentary as s/he gets older, s/he'd lose muscle mass, but I don't think that "has" to be the case (ex. Jack LaLanne)... So, maybe they're allowing for sedentary behavior and they deem that as acceptable?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    There are lots of resources out there that say people can build muscle at any age. I would think if a person is more sedentary as s/he gets older, s/he'd lose muscle mass, but I don't think that "has" to be the case (ex. Jack LaLanne)... So, maybe they're allowing for sedentary behavior and they deem that as acceptable?

I'ts statistical

People don't protect their musculature

People should

I started lifting at 47 - best thing I ever did
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and agree with all of you but mostly with futuresize 8. Just because the average old person is fatter than than the average young person does not make being fatter when you are older ideal or a worthy goal. After all, the average adult in the US is borderline obese. That does not make being overweight something to aspire to. I've read some things that say an older person must carry more fat to be healthy but these sources never say why this is so. I could speculate but won't—at least for now.
  • fyoung1111
    Options
    This is the only type of argument I can find in favor of targeting a higher fat percentage when you are older: "If you get a disease or infection that causes muscle wasting," Rubenstein warns, "being too thin could be dangerous." Not from all that credible of a source—"Irv Rubenstein, Ph.D., exercise physiologist and founder of the Nashville fitness facility STEPS." This information was found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/23/body-fat_n_3947841.html
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @fyoung1111 the above, for a little insurance if one gets ill, is what I have always heard too.
    I do think there is some truth in that, as we age our likely hood of illness does increase, but on the other hand I see no reason for not increasing ones musculature to a give a LBM that is satisfying to you.

I am 62 at the bottom of my BMI range, and according to the chart @rabbitjb posted in the lean range for my age, but ideal for 20years younger. I am working hard not to have the LBM that is expected at my age, but one that is much better.

I too like a small layer of fat. It staves off the dried up wizened look :):)

Cheers, h.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I remember watching a 60 Minutes episode that mentioned healthy seniors with a moderately active lifestyle should be at least 5-10 pounds "overweight" as it serves as a type of protection against illness and such. I can't remember when I saw it though or how old the segment is. I want to say that the entire hour focused on different aspects of seniors and their lifestyle and health.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I too like a small layer of fat. It staves off the dried up wizened look :):)

Cheers, h.

Snort! So true :smiley:

• fyoung1111
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's input. After doing a bit more research it seems that someone has come to the ill founded conclusion that just because we all loose muscle cells as we age, the "ideal" sexagenarian male has more than 19% body fat (25% for you old ladies :). They forgot the part about making the muscle cells we have left bigger and stronger.

I'm just going to keep my weight under 150 and keep strength training two days per week and let the body fat percentage fall where it may. As long as it stays in double digits and people aren't referring to me as "dried up and wizened" I'm not going to sweat it.

BTW, my fancy, internet connected, bioelectrical impedance equipped Withings scale has rarely reported less than 17%.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    fyoung1111 wrote: »
    Thanks for everybody's input. After doing a bit more research it seems that someone has come to the ill founded conclusion that just because we all loose muscle cells as we age, the "ideal" sexagenarian male has more than 19% body fat (25% for you old ladies :). They forgot the part about making the muscle cells we have left bigger and stronger.

I'm just going to keep my weight under 150 and keep strength training two days per week and let the body fat percentage fall where it may. As long as it stays in double digits and people aren't referring to me as "dried up and wizened" I'm not going to sweat it.

BTW, my fancy, internet connected, bioelectrical impedance equipped Withings scale has rarely reported less than 17%.

fancy-schmancy - it has an margin of error of up to 10% :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Oh @rabbitjb, I do like that chart! Based on that I have decided I'm not fat, I'm just not old enough :-)
  • fyoung1111
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote:
    fancy-schmancy - it has an margin of error of up to 10% :)

Read this guy's work and you will never trust anybody's or any machine's bodyfat percentage again! http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-3-the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-parts-1-and-2/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-1/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hee hee my scale says I have 19.7% of body fat- it lies.

But it has been nice seeing it go down from the hight 20's.
    I am probably 24-25 in reality, and was probably in the low 30's IRL at a high normal BMI when I started.

@CurlyCockney your comment made me think of the 'so what do you want to be when you grow up little girl?' Question- now you know. :)

Is that the best tat I have ever seen on your arm?

Cheers, h.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks @middlehaitch! I'm still getting used to it being there but can't wait to show it off when summer comes :-)