Too much fiber?

Options
Couldn't find an answer through the search option so I thought I'd ask... After only breakfast and lunch it says that my daily fiber goal is already full! Is too much fiber a bad thing? :#

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a minimum goal not a maximum
  • Ladylusiphur
    Ladylusiphur Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find some of the nutrition goals a bit confusing. Something like fiber shouldn't show as red if you've hit your goal in the same way that fat or sugar does. Many of these things are positive so should be recorded differently I think.

Fiber is very important to keep your digestive system running properly, and whilst it's probably possible to overdose in extreme circumstances, I think overall more is better. If you've not eaten a fiber-rich diet before it might be that your body needs to adjust and you might see some side-effects (mild tummy aches and that sort of thing), but that will go away quickly.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - usually. Minimize insoluble fiber. Eat some soluble fiber (Inulin) instead.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber can be an issue for some people, and contrary to popular belief can make constipation worse instead of better.

But for most people too much fiber isn't an issue and it probably is a case of more is better.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Recommended for women is 25 grams a day.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I doubt you can have too much fiber unless you are eating 2x4 lumber.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My dietitian said we need 30 grams
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm at 48g already today and had planned a dinner with 18g tonight. I'm a bit worried to consume 66g today as I've never been above 53g.

Anyone else consume this much fiber daily?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Your body will let you know if you're eating too much fiber. ;) Will it hurt you to eat too much? Not likely.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I'm at 48g already today and had planned a dinner with 18g tonight. I'm a bit worried to consume 66g today as I've never been above 53g.

That is o.k. :) On days when I eat chic peas and lentils instead of meat I eat around 60 or more grams of fiber.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Your body will let you know if you're eating too much fiber. ;) Will it hurt you to eat too much? Not likely.

Agree :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I doubt you can have too much fiber unless you are eating 2x4 lumber.

You definitely can. Too much fiber can prevent absorption of nutrients from passing solids too quickly through the intestinal track and it can even cause blockages that sometimes need to be removed surgically. Remember, everything should be done in moderation, if there's a such thing as too little, then chances are there can be too much.
  • uomenukor
    uomenukor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

This is exactly right!! There is no "too much fiber" per se. It is different for everyone and your body will absolutely let you know when it's too much (via stomach ache, constipation, etc). Ou shouldn't be alarmed. If you experience bad effects, eat low fiber foods for a day and slowly build back up to high fiber. :)

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

That is o.k. :) On days when I eat chic peas and lentils instead of meat I eat around 60 or more grams of fiber.

Haha, good! I really didn't want to change dinner plans.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

lol dont worry i eat 150+ a day
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

lol dont worry i eat 150+ a day

I'm jealous. I'm averaging about 55-65g (I got 84g yesterday), and I feel like it is giving me a colon of steel.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You'll know when you've had too much fiber. You'll feel like you have to go, and be scared to leave the toilet, even though there's nothing in your gut.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You'll know when you've had too much fiber. You'll feel like you have to go, and be scared to leave the toilet, even though there's nothing in your gut.

That's kind of where I was going with my comment.... :D
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber is not necessarily a bad thing, unless you start feeling sick, get bloated, gassy, etc... Then you might need to cut back. But it's recommended that you get about 30 - 35 grams of fiber per day.