Considering going without breakfast.

Options
Do any of you do the same thing to save calories for when you enjoy Snacks in the evening? And is it working?

Replies

• missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    YES!! I almost never eat breakfast. I just have a cup of coffee and save the calories for later in the day/evening when I enjoy munching. I've actually grown to enjoy the "empty" feeling I have right before it's lunch time. It feels like resetting or something. And I enjoy my lunch so much more when I'm hungry.

Edit: And I've lost 50 pounds over the last 7 months!!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I decided to quit eating breakfast before work since my first break is at Noon. I'll eat something really small like a couple hundred calorie salad, or a yogurt + something snackish at that point. My lunch is generally around 500 calories, so I have a lot leftover for the rest of the night.

It works fine for me because it fits great into my schedule. Waiting until Noon to eat isn't all that difficult either.
  • doctor_4
    doctor_4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't skip breakfast, just have something with protein. For example 1-2 scrambled eggs and my herbal tea is under 100 calories. Most calories come from bread/cheese items.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast and believe in the old "it's the most important meal of the day" idea. I workout as soon as I get home from work in the evening, and then eat dinner. So, my metabolism revs all night and I'm starving by the time I wake up in the morning. I also eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day so my body is used to having constant energy. After "fasting" (sleeping) from 6pm to 6am, I need food. But, that works for me. Do what works for you.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I have to eat something by mid-morning, but I find the longer I put it off, the easier the rest of my day goes.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Skipping bfasts was what got me to gain pounds in past. It's mainly because I ended up snacking wrong foods through out the day.
    Now, I have around 20-25% of my daily calories at breakfast, consisting of mainly proteins, tea/coffee and some fruits.
    This way I don't feel the hunger pangs like I did when I skipped breakfasts... and hence I don't snack that often as I did before.

But, everyone's body is different... thx.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast person. No matter what I eat in the morning, I'm still hungry at the same times the rest of the day, and I'd rather have larger meals, so why waste calories when I don't really want or need them?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Since breakfast literally means "breaking the fast", it's impossible to skip breakfast. The first meal of the day is breaking the fast no matter what time you have it.

But this is semantics, and I know what you mean. The easiest times I've ever had with losing weight was when I didn't eat until late in the day - like somewhere around 1-3 PM. Lately I've been starving all day every day, though. I wake up at 5 AM wanting to eat, though I've managed to hold off until 8:45 today.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Hey if you don't want to eat breakfast , that's fine. What matters is that at the end of the day you've eaten the amount of calories given to you. You can eat whatever meals work for you and still lose weight. :)
  • giraffe_draft
    giraffe_draft Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with @doctor_4 above. I'll eat 1-2 eggs, or maybe a packet of oatmeal and a tangerine, something like that. I'm happy to spend the 100-200 calories to get my brain some food for the day. :smile: I have a desk job that requires lots of thinking, I can't afford a foggy head early in the morning, it affects my attention to details.

Of course, do what works for you!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I agree with @doctor_4 above. I'll eat 1-2 eggs, or maybe a packet of oatmeal and a tangerine, something like that. I'm happy to spend the 100-200 calories to get my brain some food for the day. :smile: I have a desk job that requires lots of thinking, I can't afford a foggy head early in the morning, it affects my attention to details.

Of course, do what works for you![/quote

Thanks !
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Eh. Everyone's different. Some people don't have a problem with no breakfast, some people can't go without. I have to eat at least a little something or end up with a blood sugar crash around lunch, so I don't skip breakfast. Time of day that you eat has NO bearing on weight loss. Well, as long as your total for the day doesn't exceed your daily calorie goal. If your body is ok with no breakfast and you don't want to eat it, skip it. If your body is not ok with no breakfast, eat it. Learning when you get hungry helps you adjust your calories for the day so you're not stuck with times where you're STARVING and end up over eating the next meal because of that.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat in the mornings. If you do it with purpose, choosing to go for a certain period of time without eating is called "intermittent fasting." It's intentional, and it helps me control my total calorie intake for the day. In the morning I just have coffee with a little milk and all the water that I can drink. Then I eat my first meal around mid-day sometime. Not eating in the morning (when I'm not really hungry anyway) means I can consume larger, more satisfying meals in the afternoon and evening. This works really well for me, though your mileage may vary. If you're interested in learning more, you might want to check out the intermittent fasting group here on MFP.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat breakfast because I've never really done so - I'm not hungry in the morning. I prefer to have more calories left at the end of day for dinner, which is always my largest and most enjoyable meal of the day. I just have coffee in the morning. I stop eating at 9pm, and don't eat again until 1pm, this is the 16:8 variety of intermittent fasting. It works well for people like me who aren't hungry for breakfast, but definitely doesn't work for everyone.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wake up at 5:30, but regularly don't eat breakfast until I settle in at work, so it's usually somewhere around 8:30 or 9. My breakfast is usually an apple or a banana with peanut butter. So, I do eat something in the morning, but it's probably not what most people would consider 'breakfast' and it's never right after I wake up.

Despite that, breakfast is my favourite meal of the day! Every year for my birthday, we go out for breakfast instead of dinner :) We even had brunch at our wedding! Any opportunity I have to get a 'real' breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc...), I'm so excited!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat before noon. I usually eat a light "breakfast" around noon, light lunch at 2-3, dinner at 5:30/6, and then a snack or two around 9. I save about 50% of my cals for dinner and night snacking 700ish.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Since I wake up early in the morning for work I've found its harder for me to skip breakfast or just have coffee, otherwise by 9-10 I am starving. In the summer (I am a teacher) when I am off work, I usually sleep in until 9-10 am so I typically will workout first thing and then go straight to lunch so its way easier to skip breakfast then. Summer is when its a lot easier for me to lose weight. :)
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, just coffee in the morning . I like eating more at night but I found I naturally lean towards eating this way.
    Also if I start eating early I am hungry all day long.
    I do love a full English though but we tend to eat this later at 11/12
    Mmmmm bacon ....
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast person. No matter what I eat in the morning, I'm still hungry at the same times the rest of the day, and I'd rather have larger meals, so why waste calories when I don't really want or need them?

Same! I've been eating just an english muffin with ham (clocking in around 160) in the morning to feel ok, a piece of fruit for lunch (large orange, apple etc ~100-200 calories) and then in the evening I get to spend ~1000 on dinner. It's been working really well for me, and I sleep so much better on a full stomach.
    Granted, it depends on the individual. I checked with my doctor first and he said it was fine as long as I hit my minimum calories in the day and listened to my body. Any dizziness, light headedness, headaches, etc--eat some more calories then and there. But so far, so good. My body has adjusted and isn't that hungry during those times now. It knows it's getting food in the evening.

On the other hand, it really messes you up if you decide to eat a full on lunch one day and then the next day my stomach is like "what the heck where is lunch?!" Soooo yeah. That's a con.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have always been better when I eat breakfast as part of 3 roughly equally sized meals thru the day. I also don't wait until I'm hungry before eating . I just find those rules help me mentally as I start off with good habits (for myself) right when the day starts and avoid me going off plan. Also, the food I generally eat for breakfast vs lunch and dinner tend to be a bit cheaper so I get cheaper calories.