What do you eat to stop yourself from starving between meals at offices?

Options
I started an office job a couple of months ago and finding it difficult to eat appropriately. I'm always starving and my stomach is so loud when I am hungry, it is hard to ignore and embarrassing. So I am just wondering what other people are eating between meals on here.

I work in an office and I have breakfast before I go (around 9am), which is usually coffee, yoghurt and muesli. Then before lunch (1pm) my stomach starts rumbling. So then I will end up eating my lunch early at my desk at about 12pm so that this noise will go away. Usually at work I just have a cheese sandwich, kind of basic, but easy to make, can eat it a desk without being messy, and easy to carry. Around 6pm my stomach again starts rumbling really loudly - despite now being half way through calories for the day. I go home at 7pm, exercise (doing Insanity) and then fill up on dinner - which is the only time I get to eat a lot of food and feel full.

Any other office workers who have a good food plan? I'm never painfully starving, I just have a really loud stomach.

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Also, more protein well help you keep full. Yogurt, cereal and a cheese sandwich would not do it for me. Check my diary if you want.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would eat more but don't want to go into my calories too much just on breakfast. Will have a look at your diary though.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving, too. Muesli is usually high in calories and doesn't satisfy me for long. Maybe switch that out for a couple of eggs?
    How about a snack mid-morning? Some fruit, perhaps?
    Add some veggies (carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumber spears, etc) that are easy to eat with your sandwich.
    Than a mid-afternoon snack.

It sounds as if you're eating most of your calories at night and that you need to spread them out more evenly over the day.

Are you eating back about half of your exercise calories? You should in order to fuel your workout. If you're not, you are most likely under eating and that will contribute to always feeling hungry.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    I would eat more but don't want to go into my calories too much just on breakfast. Will have a look at your diary though.

It's breakfast, lunch and a couple of missed snacks.
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't think feeling hungry is necessarily a bad thing unless you're just embarrassed by the rumblings. I like to have an itsu rice cake or a banana at around 10:30 to make it to lunchtime and then wait it out till dinner (feels like I earnt it) but this is just my habit :)
  • pandabear_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I'd be starving, too. Muesli is usually high in calories and doesn't satisfy me for long. Maybe switch that out for a couple of eggs?
    How about a snack mid-morning? Some fruit, perhaps?
    Add some veggies (carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumber spears, etc) that are easy to eat with your sandwich.
    Than a mid-afternoon snack.

It sounds as if you're eating most of your calories at night and that you need to spread them out more evenly over the day.

Are you eating back about half of your exercise calories? You should in order to fuel your workout. If you're not, you are most likely under eating and that will contribute to always feeling hungry.

Yes, I am eating so much more in the evenings and a lot more balanced stuff. I am eating back nearly all of the exercise calories for dinner. Thanks, for the suggestion. I will try eggs instead.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My normal mid morning snack is an apple and a baggie of baby carrots.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Maybe a protein shake?

They're generally around 120 - 150 calories each, and are quite filling for a while.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    Yes, I am eating so much more in the evenings and a lot more balanced stuff. I am eating back nearly all of the exercise calories for dinner. Thanks, for the suggestion. I will try eggs instead.

Balance your food out over the day. You're not eating enough through the day by saving it all for the evening.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    How much are you in deficit? I started at 1200 because of MFP and wound up bumping to 1400 on my own because I was always hungry. Maybe accept a little slower projected weight loss in exchange for not starving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I eat enough food as to not be starving and I tend to eat a lot of whole, satiating foods.
  • sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lots of water! Have a rice cake with a laughing cow wedge spread on it - 75 calories. 1/2 cup blueberries usually does the trick for me as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I eat a relatively big (or at least filling) breakfast and a regular sized lunch. No snacks at work on most days. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't work in an office, but maybe try a Fibre 1 bar? Minimal mess (sticky fingers) and fairly filling (for me at least). I do get the afternoon munchies and get by with a can of diet pop (the carbonation helps me feel full). I get wanting to save calories so you don't go over by 2 pm and end up struggling with going way over for the day or going hungry.
  • pandabear_
    Options
    How much are you in deficit? I started at 1200 because of MFP and wound up bumping to 1400 on my own because I was always hungry. Maybe accept a little slower projected weight loss in exchange for not starving.

I was trying 1200 when I first started MFP and lost quite a lot on that amount. I took a break from MFP and started again, I went up to 1400 because I wasn't seeing any difference. So now I have switched down to 1270 a day, and I'm still not seeing any differences in weight or inches. I guess that's just me needed to be more accurate weighing my food. But at the end of the day, I have ate all my calories required and I'm never going to bed feeling hungry.

It's just a problem when I am at work because I have to sit in an office all day and my stomach is embarrassingly loud, despite not being extremely active at work.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I eat a series of small meals - coffee, toast and PB at 0600, two hard boiled eggs at 0900, yogurt/or a cup a soup at 1200 and a cappuccino at 1500. Regular supper at 1900. Works for me.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Instead of sandwich eat your protein with tons of veggies.
    Non fat latte as a treat.
    Be thankful you aren't at one of those places where the office life revolves around food.
    In the end, hunger is your friend!

Incorporate more exercise into your life so you can eat more?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Instead of sandwich eat your protein with tons of veggies.
    Non fat latte as a treat.
    Be thankful you aren't at one of those places where the office life revolves around food.
    In the end, hunger is your friend!

Incorporate more exercise into your life so you can eat more?
    Try Phsylium husk, as it is pure fibre and fills your belly. You have to drink it quick coz its gloopy and jellylike though flavourless. It will also keep you regular.

• bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but I do make these bars and pre-package them for the week. I do play around with the type of nuts I put in, I'll add more sunflower and pumpkin seeds since they are lower calorie but they are dense - you will not be hungry for awhile after you have one. It is annoying because you have to add in all the calories yourself and then divide out by serving size, but it's worth it.
    http://ohsheglows.com/2014/05/20/feel-good-hearty-granola-bars/
    Also, I have trail mix and a pre measured 1/4 cup at my office so I know exactly what one serving is. I keep turkey jerky on hand as well, and I pre-cut fruit and veggies at home and leave them in containers at my fridge at work.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also, with the recipe - as I am not able to spend tons of money on food - I usually omit the dried cherries because they're very high sugar and expensive and replace with raisins or maybe dried cranberries. I also go to stores that sell nuts in bulk so I only have to buy what I need and a little bit at a time which helps to keep my grocery bill in check.