Calorie deficit

Options
jakeziskin1
jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've been sick in bed the last few days. Can't seem to eat much at all. It looks like I drop a few pounds but is that just water or could some be fat from the low amount of calories I've taken in

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mostly water. Just be aware that when you are healthy enough to eat again, it will come back and you'll likely see a gain.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Mostly water. Just be aware that when you are healthy enough to eat again, it will come back and you'll likely see a gain.

How would it be mostly water, when I have still managed to login my food. I've been sick since Monday.
    Monday I had 650 calories
    Tuesday I had 550 calories
    Wednesday I had 600 calories
    And I haven't eaten anything yet today. Obviously these are low numbers, and I'm used to eating 1500 to 2000 cal a day. Wouldn't the extreme driving calories equals fat not water? Also how would I gain if I still stay in my calorie deficient diet? This makes no sense to me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How would it be mostly water, when I have still managed to login my food. I've been sick since Monday.
    And I haven't eaten anything yet today. Obviously these are low numbers, and I'm used to eating 1500 to 2000 cal a day. Wouldn't the extreme driving calories equals fat not water? Also how would I gain if I still stay in my calorie deficient diet? This makes no sense to me

When you eat very, very low calorie (which you're currently doing), the weight you will lose is mostly water -- not fat. There is a limit to how much fat your body can lose in a day. As you begin more when you are well, your body will replenish this lost water (which is good -- you need it) so you will likely gain a bit of water weight back.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options

When you eat very, very low calorie (which you're currently doing), the weight you will lose is mostly water -- not fat. There is a limit to how much fat your body can lose in a day. As you begin more when you are well, your body will replenish this lost water (which is good -- you need it) so you will likely gain a bit of water weight back.

I understand most would be water. However, due to being sick and lack of eating I'm assuming my body is in ketosis mode. Even so my bmr is 1850. That to me looks like a mathematical equation.

Monday 1850 - 650 = -1200
    Tuesday 1850 - 550 = -1300
    Wednesday 1850 - 600 = -1250
    Add all up the numbers = -3750 calories
    Wouldn't that be 250calories over a pound of fat.
    Does this mean I lost one pound of fat?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I understand most would be water. However, due to being sick and lack of eating I'm assuming my body is in ketosis mode. Even so my bmr is 1850. That to me looks like a mathematical equation.

You forget the other half of the equation. A pound of muscle is only ~600 calories, so it could also mean that you've lost over 6 pounds of muscle (3750/6 = 6.25 lbs.). Especially since your protein intake has obviously been lacking as well and you've been lying in bed and not training

Any loss will be part fat and part muscle, not 100% fat. Part of how it is partitioned depends upon your protein intake and training.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You are more than likely losing Muscle, fat and water as our bodies are constantly changing
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I'm ok losing fat and muscle. You can always regain muscle and I certainly work out enough to get it back. Il take that 5+lb lose! When I'm feeling better I'm going to stick to my calorie deficit so I won't gain it back! Thanks everyone you e all been helpful
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

You forget the other half of the equation. A pound of muscle is only ~600 calories, so it could also mean that you've lost over 6 pounds of muscle (3750/6 = 6.25 lbs.). Especially since your protein intake has obviously been lacking as well and you've been lying in bed and not training

Any loss will be part fat and part muscle, not 100% fat. Part of how it is partitioned depends upon your protein intake and training.

Most the calories I have taken in the last few days were ISO pure zero carb 50 gram protein shakes and chicken noodle soup lite from progression 140calories a can
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If you are the typical sugar burner, it is probably muscle. Not good!