Healthiest way to cook sweet potatoes.

Options
2»

Replies

• ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Boiling vs baking is supposed to lower the Glycemic Index of sweet potatoes, which in turn helps keep blood sugar from spiking really high.
  • capitalguy84
    capitalguy84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite quick dinners is to dice a sweet potato into 'hash brown' size, toss with olive oil, S&P, and fresh thyme and roast them at a high heat until crispy. I serve it with a poached egg or two on top.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Boiling vs baking is supposed to lower the Glycemic Index of sweet potatoes, which in turn helps keep blood sugar from spiking really high.

The difference is negligible...and everything else you're eating with your meal is going to have a far greater impact on the actual glycemic load than boiling vs baking...this is called majoring in the minors.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    tisadell wrote: »
    I love them cut in chunks, roasted with some Granny Smith apples chopped up in them! Sometimes I'll add pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Delicious!

yum!
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Keiko385 wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out how sugar content is changed by cooking method.

The starches in the sweet potato are converted to sugar in the baking process, it effectives the Glycemic Index of the food. The longer and slower that it is baked more sugar is released. Unless you are a diabetic or need to monitor your blood sugar it matters very little in the end

https://fbns.ncsu.edu/USDAARS/Acrobatpubs/S114-150/S141.pdf

Did not know that, thanks for the info...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    KVS1985 wrote: »
    What is the best/healthiest way to incorporate sweet potatoes into my diet. I think I've heard steaming is the best vs baking which brings out too many sugars? Is that correct?

I've read this somewhere too, don't know if it's true and can't find a link. Why don't you find a source for this and then we'll discuss it? I'm especially interested in how much more sugar is there in baked vs steamed - it may be trivial and not worth considering for people who need to worry about their sugar counts, which is not the majority of us.

How would more/less sugar get into the food based on cooking method?

The ways OP listed, it wouldn't.

Cut up and soaking them in plain water first, or just boiling them would leach some nutrients out. Potassium and salts for certain (why it's recommended for kidney disease diets), I believe starch and simple sugars as well.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the glycemic index is based on the single food by itself.
    the addition of protein and fat to the meal would slow down the delicious crispy sweet roast edges of those mofos getting into your system.

Roast is the only way! I do mine with jerk seasoning.
  • KVS1985
    KVS1985 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What is the best/healthiest way to incorporate sweet potatoes into my diet. I think I've heard steaming is the best vs baking which brings out too many sugars? Is that correct?

I've read this somewhere too, don't know if it's true and can't find a link. Why don't you find a source for this and then we'll discuss it? I'm especially interested in how much more sugar is there in baked vs steamed - it may be trivial and not worth considering for people who need to worry about their sugar counts, which is not the majority of us.

I'll look. I think I heard it on this show called "My diet is better than yours" on ABC.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't personally worry about that kind of minutia...the differences are going to be pretty negligible in the big picture.

I personally like to bake them or cut them into chunks and roast them...which is the exact same way I enjoy white potatoes and red potatoes.

All of this.

The best way to cook them is how you enjoy them most. I enjoy them roasted with a little olive oil and salt and sometimes garlic. However, Need2's suggestion with the slices and onion sounds good, so I plan to try that.
  • KVS1985
    KVS1985 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the glycemic index is based on the single food by itself.
    the addition of protein and fat to the meal would slow down the delicious crispy sweet roast edges of those mofos getting into your system.

Roast is the only way! I do mine with jerk seasoning.

a4y81fk81ynx.jpeg
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I coat them in olive oil and sea salt, wrap them in foil and throw them on the grill until they're mushy. I'll put them in the fridge (the ususally last up to four days) and eat them with a little salt and cinnamon. I recently discovered that they taste even better cold than in the microwave.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Keiko385 wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out how sugar content is changed by cooking method.

The starches in the sweet potato are converted to sugar in the baking process, it effectives the Glycemic Index of the food. The longer and slower that it is baked more sugar is released. Unless you are a diabetic or need to monitor your blood sugar it matters very little in the end

https://fbns.ncsu.edu/USDAARS/Acrobatpubs/S114-150/S141.pdf

OIC Learned something new today, but not sure why that would matter so much since starches are converted to sugar during digestion, unless they are resistant starches.
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Build a fire outside.
    Dig a hole in the ground.
    Throw a good amount of coals in the hole.
    Wrap sweet potato in tin foil... save some for your helmet to shield against alien mind control
    Cover with more coals.
    Put some dirt back on top.
    Go fish for an hour, take a hike or swim in the lake.... remove your tinfoil helmet before you swim.
    When you get back dig up your delicious potatoes and eat!

Try not to start a forest fire.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Boiling is the only way to reduce the glycemic index of it.