Help - not loosing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kryssu wrote: »
    My nutritionist set the 1200 calorie goal. I eat around 900-1000 because I don't need more. I am never hungry. My problem is with my craving of junk food. I never ate much quantitative but only I had very poorly choises

Eating too little can lead to cravings. If cravings are a problem for you (which you say they are), you may want to consider eating enough to meet your nutritional needs.
  • adamgheli
    adamgheli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    in this case where the person has lost weight, just slower than expected
    I second that and fully agree. At the onset of major calorie deficit, the body goes into somewhat of a shock. And water retention as well as a lot of detox is taken place. Mine resulted in a 9.5lbs in 6 days. So the results are very exciting but it quickly slows down when fat loss occurs which normally gives a downer. But plow through it. Like RileySowner said, it takes 4 weeks to see what's really happening. Keep eating clean (whole foods and lots of water), healthy portions (healthy proteins, carbs, & fats), and as much workout as you can do. The results are almost guaranteed.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid problems and even on medication I find losing 0.5lb-1lb a week a good week so don't knock yourself! It takes time and you are steadily losing! it takes 12 weeks apparently to see the changes. im 7 stone down and still 4 to go but the worst thing I ever did was assume I could get 4lb and 5lb weight loss everyweek.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    You are just not eating at a deficit...

Seeing as 1) She did lose weight (about half a kilo or 1 pound) she is likely in a calorie deficit. 2) Simply saying whenever a person's weight loss slows that they are not in a deficit is far from helpful, and may not be right especially in this case where the person has lost weight, just slower than expected. 3) The additional information that TOM is coming soon means it is more likely that fat loss may have been masked by water retention. Even without that fact, with that weight that has been lost (that half a kilo) the likelihood it is water weight or something similar masking the lost is far more likely.

To the person who posted this, weight does not come off in a straight line. It goes up and down which is why at least 4 weeks is needed to see what the actual direction of weight loss is. Give it time, keep measuring your food carefully, and see where your weight is by the end of the month.

2) It is, because it is the only explanation. Some people dont believe this....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, your goal is not realistic. Losing weight too quickly can lead to all sorts of other problems, especially muscle loss. And even if you do everything 100% perfect, you will not lose weight every week. Aim for 1-2 lbs per week, look for the trend over several weeks, and understand that some weeks it just won't happen.

You should be eating AT LEAST 1200 cals per day. If you don't have a food scale, get one and make sure you are eating the calories you think you are. And please be patient and kind to yourself - most people end up burning out and giving up because they try to do too much too fast.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

Seeing as 1) She did lose weight (about half a kilo or 1 pound) she is likely in a calorie deficit. 2) Simply saying whenever a person's weight loss slows that they are not in a deficit is far from helpful, and may not be right especially in this case where the person has lost weight, just slower than expected. 3) The additional information that TOM is coming soon means it is more likely that fat loss may have been masked by water retention. Even without that fact, with that weight that has been lost (that half a kilo) the likelihood it is water weight or something similar masking the lost is far more likely.

To the person who posted this, weight does not come off in a straight line. It goes up and down which is why at least 4 weeks is needed to see what the actual direction of weight loss is. Give it time, keep measuring your food carefully, and see where your weight is by the end of the month.

2) It is, because it is the only explanation. Some people dont believe this....

No it isn't. Weight is likely the least helpful measure of progress in terms of fat loss because it is so variable. The OP has lost 8 pounds in 3-4 weeks, meaning she is in a calorie deficit. If you took the time to read her post with care you would have seen that. She mentioned here TOM is coming soon, many women retain water then, not to mention that weight loss is not linear, and she did lose weight, but is not happy with how fast. To discount all that and simply say, you are not in a calorie deficit is simplistic at best, and seeing as the OP is logging 900-1000 calories a day which is less than the 1200 that is seen as a healthy minimum for a female to get the nutrition she needs, is careless at worse.

She is losing at about 2 pounds a week average. That is a quite aggressive rate of loss, and it means she is in a deficit, no question about it. The slow weight loss in this past week or so it far more likely to be something else masking the fat loss rather than not eating at a deficit. If the trend continued for another couple of weeks, then I would agree that looking at whether she is eating in a deficit is actually happening, but not for such a short time and a time where there was loss.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did not read all the responses but this may help .... OPEN YOUR DIARY...

b3z2vjimqdmi.jpg
  • kryssu
    kryssu Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I just come home from my doctor and she said it is normal not to loose that much weight. I'm trying to be positive and take it slow, step by step.

Gia07, even if I open my diary, no one would understand it, because is in romanian. I'm from Romania and 80% off the food that we find in stores is already in the system, and is much easy for me to log it in my maternal language.
  • adamgheli
    Options
    kryssu wrote: »
    even if I open my diary, no one would understand it, because is in romanian

Kryssu...I would take what your doc said. Notice, I mentioned before...
    deskjobguy wrote: »
    At the onset of major calorie deficit, the body goes into somewhat of a shock. And water retention as well as a lot of detox is taken place. Mine resulted in a 9.5lbs in 6 days. So the results are very exciting but it quickly slows down when fat loss occurs which normally gives a downer. But plow through it.

Initial slowing down of weight seems like it worked at first by accident. But the fact is that it didn't. The body simply release the access water and toxins first because it's the least needed by the body. Fat loss comes right after but it's a bit slower cuz the body wants to be sure there is calorie deficit. Protein can be shed too if the body feels over threatened by your dieting. And you definitely don't want that.

So you MUST walk the middle path. This means, have a calorie deficit but don't over due it. If you're feeling hungry at any point...you're doing it wrong! What worked for me is changing my foods. I can have all the green vegetables as I want and just a moderate 3.5oz portion of meat in each meal, 5 times a day. You read it correct! I now eat more than I used to and btw I also lost 1.5lbs in the last 4 days again. This was hard for me to understand...how can I eat and lose weight. But I figured out how to do it the right way and it's working. 80% or > of your results will come from eating correctly. Better performance will come from working out. If you don't lose or even gain a couple of pounds 1 week, no worries! This is a lifetime process and you just simply stay the correct course.

It took me 37yrs to go up to 254lbs, it will take at least a portion of my time to lose 80lbs, gain more muscle and become a bad *kitten*. Remember, you too are a bad *kitten*. We all are! Remember how you played when you were a little girl. You're the same person inside, still. You're just over taken by incremental bad choices, bad luck, negative motivators that have crept up over the years. Work hard to regain your natural self again. But if you're feeling miserable in doing so, you're doing it wrong.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

"Seeing as 1) she did lose weight"
    So that kind of proves my point. She was and now isnt....

"she is likely in a calorie deficit."
    Nonsense. People's eating habits change from day to day

"2) Simply saying whenever a person's weight loss slows that they are not in a deficit is far from helpful"
    Is it the truth. It doesnt matter if they are losing slower than expected. Expectations are opinions. Losing weight by calorie deficit is just not.

• adamgheli
    Options
    Is it the truth. It doesnt matter if they are losing slower than expected. Expectations are opinions. Losing weight by calorie deficit is just not.

Dear Friend...I agree with what you're saying. You are logical in your plain and simple opinion approach. But pure logic alone, will not help a human being fighting with his/her body weight. You've got to take more variables into consideration than just your experience and what facts have been stated by OP. You've got to read between the lines and really understand where she is coming from and that her problems maybe slightly different than yours and mine. She's a different gender, different age, different lifestyle, environment, body type, positive and negative feedback that she's getting from people around her, etc., etc. etc.

• mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    First, you have lost weight. 8lbs in about 3 weeks is more than the average safe amount of 2lbs per week.

Second, I think your goal is too aggressive. Aim to lose no more than 2lbs each week and know that you will not lose each and every week no matter what you do... weight loss is not linear.

Finally, eating 900-1000 calories per day, while exercising is far too little! You will be increasing the muscle you lose along the way. Eat a proper amount of calories and ensure you are getting proper nutrition.
  • adamgheli
    Options
    Bingo Mallory! Right on the Money.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

"Seeing as 1) she did lose weight"
    So that kind of proves my point. She was and now isnt....

"she is likely in a calorie deficit."
    Nonsense. People's eating habits change from day to day

"2) Simply saying whenever a person's weight loss slows that they are not in a deficit is far from helpful"

In all your comments you assume that calorie deficit will result in weight loss in the short term, which is what we are talking about here, one week, not the long term of 3-4 weeks. One week doesn't tell you or me anything. As someone who is on meds including a diuretic for my blood pressure, I know that if I stop taking that diuretic for even a couple of days my weight will go up, even if I am in a calorie deficit. One week I ran out due to my own mistake, and could not get a renewal for three days. During that time my weight went up 10 pounds even though my eating was right on track. Going by your logic I was no longer in a calorie deficit. Yet, once I started that particular med again, it became clear that that short term of one week (4 days without my med) and the 10 pound gain was all water weight. In three days I was down not only to the weight I was at before I ran out of that med, but had the expected loss for that week as well. Why? Because I was still at a deficit. Weight, especially in the short term does not tell the whole story. All it says is your body is heavier. That could short term be water weight, it could be food in your intestines and colon that has not yet been expelled. None of that has anything to do with what people are really trying to do here which is lose fat not simply weight.

Taking the case we are looking at in 3ish weeks the OP lost 8 pounds. The fourth week that loss was very small. So in the big picture of more than a week, she is losing. Even in that short term of one week, she was losing. There is nothing, nothing at all there that indicates she is not in a calorie deficit. All it indicates is something is likely masking the fat loss, if that slow loss continued for say 3 weeks, or turned around and became a gain over three weeks, then you might have grounds to simply say, "You are not in a calorie deficit.", but not from one week that still had a loss.