Exercising at home

Options
Hi,
I am new here. So long story short: not long ago I have birth and now I am in house mom. I would like to ask you what kind of exercise routines I could do at home to lose weight? I began counting my calories and sticking to healthy recipes but i need help in choosing correct exercises.

Replies

• quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Most will say as long as you are eating at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Exercising (mainly cardio) is for burning a few extra calories, allowing you to consume more. If you are breastfeeding, I'd be careful not to eat at too low a deficit and make sure you are getting sufficient fluids to keep up your supply. As far as exercising, I still think it's important for stress relief and overall well-being. As a new mom, it was incredibly hard to be motivated to make the time for it though. I'd find a short workout video you can do while the baby is napping or otherwise occupied, or depending on just how old the baby is incorporating baby into a workout routine (lifting baby up, or squatting with baby, etc). Lookup bodyweight exercise routines that require no equipment and generally very little space to complete. Pushing baby in a stroller for walks is also great although depending on where you live, it's not necessarily the best time of year for that outdoors!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    fantasyj wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am new here. So long story short: not long ago I have birth and now I am in house mom. I would like to ask you what kind of exercise routines I could do at home to lose weight? I began counting my calories and sticking to healthy recipes but i need help in choosing correct exercises.

Walking videos are great. Low impact so you won't wake the baby.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

More walking videos and lots more

www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv
  • hoopsdujour
    hoopsdujour Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com is a great website to find a wide range of free exercise videos! They always show you the correct form while exercising and they also have nutrition tips for you.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hi new here. Have a pillow fight with the kids.....
  • fantasyj
    fantasyj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advices :) we spend a lot of time outside with stroller but now is not a good season for walks that is why I feel I need to exercise at home.
  • emistevenson
    emistevenson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, planks, sit-ups, lunges, squats, leg lifts, jumping jacks. That's a really comprehensive workout you can do at home, in a small space, with your own body weight. Despite what all the companies selling stuff would want you to believe, you don't need any fancy equipment or complicated exercises to stay fit.

If those are too boring or not challenging enough, there are a million variations you can find on Google that make things more interesting or challenging. Spiderman planks, traveling planks, pulse push-ups, squat jumps, running lunges, supersets, and so on. If you can get some freeweights you can hold them while doing the exercises.

My personal experience/belief is that you lose weight by exercising, you maintain your weight by eating correctly. I try to eat about the same amount of food every day. I was counseled by my trainer not to eat my exercise calories back because it would make it hard for me to learn and adopt healthy eating habits if I was starving myself on non-exercise days and pigging out on exercise days. So I eat about 1300-1500 every day, which is roughly a maintenance intake level for me. My "calorie deficit" is then whatever exercise I do in a week. No exercise, no deficit, no weight loss, but because I stuck to a maintenance calorie level of eating I won't gain either.
  • fantasyj
    fantasyj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TeaBea, thanks for links tothe videos that walking aerobic is pretty fun ;) started from 1st mile :) glad that could practice when baby was asleep.

Also right now i am analysing fitnessblender.com

Emistevenson, right now i am trying to cut down on calories, because i think that myfitnessplan suggest me too much. It suggests me 1706 kcal... Also about exercise routines i need a accurate exercise plan because i am not good at sports. So i need to know how many times a certain exercise should be done and how many of them to do in one routine everydau.
  • landyraza1995
    landyraza1995 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I think you would enjoy the 21 day fix program. It comes with a meal plan that is customized to fit your needs in order to meet your fitness goals. What I love most is that the workouts are only 30 minutes long. I've been doing following the program for about a week and loving it so far. You can email me at landyraza1995@gmail.com and I would be happy to tell you more about it. If you're interested in starting it the program, I would love to keep each other accountable :)
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com is a great website to find a wide range of free exercise videos! They always show you the correct form while exercising and they also have nutrition tips for you.

I agree! I love fitnessblender. Their routines are completely free, and there is so many! My favourite are 30 minute workouts for busy people.

As others have said, being in calorie deficit will make you lose weight, but exercise is great for your health, and will definetely help with weight loss and getting back in shape.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred is good for a beginner and done at home :)
  • emistevenson
    emistevenson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    fantasyj wrote: »
    Also about exercise routines i need a accurate exercise plan because i am not good at sports. So i need to know how many times a certain exercise should be done and how many of them to do in one routine everydau.

That is something that will come to you more naturally with time. If you follow some exercise videos for a while after several months you'll begin to understand how a routine is put together and maybe be able to do some on your own.

Here are some things to watch for in the videos that can help you plan your own workouts later:

A good rule of thumb is that it should be challenging to do 15 reps or 30-60 seconds of whatever you are doing. If you can't do 15 or can't last even 30 seconds at something, modify it to be easier until you can. If you can do 15 and 60 seconds easily, modify/add weight to make it more challenging until it isn't anymore. Ideally the first 10-12 will come easily enough and the last 3-5 you will be feeling your muscles start to fail. Do 3 or 4 different exercises back to back, take a brief rest, and then repeat them all once more. If you spend 2 minutes completing each exercise and repeat each exercise twice, you only need to pick about 8 exercises to fill a half-hour workout.

If you stick to that formula you can make a workout out of pretty much any combination of exercises you want. There's not really a wrong way to do it when you're in it for general fitness as opposed to competitive bodybuilding, as long as you make sure to work the legs, arms, and core, and not neglect a major muscle group.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »

I agree! I love fitnessblender. Their routines are completely free, and there is so many! My favourite are 30 minute workouts for busy people.

As others have said, being in calorie deficit will make you lose weight, but exercise is great for your health, and will definetely help with weight loss and getting back in shape.

Another fitness blender lover here. Seriously, you can find just about whatever you want to do through them. :)
  • roth5107
    roth5107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to find something you enjoy doing. After I had my first baby I did a Billy Blanks Tae Bo video 3/4 times a week. After that The Firm. Then I fell into running, then triathlons, then Crossfit and now I'm working on a home gym. Just find something you like so you'll want to do it. :) I follow BWMCFitness on IG. She has several kids and posts workout videos with her kids around. It's so inspiring! Good luck!
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love daily burn and fitness blender. Daily burn is worth $12.99/m imo.