Beginner runner - stitch!

Options
I've just started running as a beginner. I do a lot of swimming, cycling and weights training so I would say my general fitness is quite good. I've been running distances of 5km, quite slowly but steadily. Problem is for the last couple of 5kms I've had a dreadful stitch for the majority of the run. Any tips from runners with a bit more experience than me?

Thank you!
Hannah

Replies

• viktha
    viktha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tend to get side stitches when I don't drink enough water or from not breathing deep enough, might not be the case for everyone.

When I'm running and get one I try to stretch out the side its on (put my arm over my head), and breath deeply.
  • AmyKinns2012
    AmyKinns2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Make sure you're hydrated and watch your breathing the entire run.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've found that the more hydrated I am the less likely I am to get stitches.

Do you run with a breathing cadence?

I run with a 2/2 cadence, and if I get a stitch, I make sure that my out breaths end on the side opposite the stitch. That seems to help quite a lot.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It's to do with how recently I ate or drank for me - I need to let my food/water go down or I can get one.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can't eat 3 hours before a run or I get stitches. When I do get a stitch while running I concentrate on my breathing (in through nose and mouth out through mouth) and it goes away within 2 mins.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I get stitch if I run too fast. I get rid of it by concentrating on my breathing and slowing down.