Congestive Heart Failure

Options
ash_bodash12
ash_bodash12 Posts: 15 Member
edited February 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure/dilated cardiomyopathy in September. Anybody else dealing with this condition and the struggles that go along with trying to get healthy? I know I get frustrated with retaining water and not being able to do as much cardio as id like to shed weight faster. I'm only 27 and still don't know what the future holds for my health, but I hope to recover completely, maybe even get off medications if possible.

Replies

• ash_bodash12
    Options
    Nobody huh?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm cautious to offer any advice because I know that congestive heart failure can be deadly serious, as in my father and grandfather both died from it. Please take good care of yourself and follow the dietary and exercise recommendations I hope you received from your care team.
  • Kyotojunkie
    Kyotojunkie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad to hear of your diagnosis in one so young. I am much older (69) with no real problems but if you want a pal to support and applaud your daily victories then I'm happy to be a friend. That's assuming you don't get any better offers, haha!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm cautious to offer any advice because I know that congestive heart failure can be deadly serious, as in my father and grandfather both died from it. Please take good care of yourself and follow the dietary and exercise recommendations I hope you received from your care team.

^^This^^ I had no idea that someone your age could even have those conditions. Good luck to you and I hope for the best for you.
  • qaiserelahi992
    qaiserelahi992 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have recently lost my mom back in Sep,2015 due to the heart failure but she fought with this disease for last 30 years and she died at the age of 63. My advice to you is to just take good care of your health and don't over do anything and the key is to have a very healthy diet.
  • ash_bodash12
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

^^This^^ I had no idea that someone your age could even have those conditions. Good luck to you and I hope for the best for you.

Thanks for the concern guys. No worries though, I'm not seeking advice, I work very closely and frequently with my cardiologist. I was just looking for someone to swap stories and share experiences with. It's very uncommon for someone my age to have CHF, even my dr seems baffled at times
  • ash_bodash12
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    http://www.heartfailurematters.org/en_GB/What-can-you-do/Support-groups

Heart failure/CHF support group link above. It's not through MFP though. You'll probably encounter mostly elders there but some younger people might also be members. Best regards.

Thank you so much.
  • jrshuten
    jrshuten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Thanks for the concern guys. No worries though, I'm not seeking advice, I work very closely and frequently with my cardiologist. I was just looking for someone to swap stories and share experiences with. It's very uncommon for someone my age to have CHF, even my dr seems baffled at times

Be more than happy to swap stories with you. I am lvl 3 chf. Also have an pacemaker/icd implanted.
  • Ilive4mountainsandbeaches
    Options
    Hi! Have Dilated Cardiomyopathy, Heart Failure, and a Defib implanted. Would love to join your group.
  • jamieyungeberg
    jamieyungeberg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Late on the reply, but maybe can offer something more than doom & gloom for future searches. I was 38 when I went in to heart failure (almost exactly 2 years ago), EF 5-10%, and diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. Not as young as you but still young. I was this close to death. Meds & lifestyle change have gotten my EF up to close to 50%, and I have an ICD implanted as a just in case. I fairly recently started really trying to get in shape, eating even better, weight training, & tho I do get pretty tired, & sometimes it can take awhile to recover, I feel better than ever. Science is really doing awesome things in the heart world! I wouldn't take it lightly by any means, but I wouldn't live life by obsessing & not living life. I'm guessing by now you've gotten your routine down? Even if a transplant is the end result for you, my dad got the same thing at a little younger than I did, & he just celebrated his 25 year heart transplant anniversary, so even that doesn't necessarily have to consume your thoughts. Be careful of the support groups. They're an awesome tool, one I use, especially early on, but they do tend to be poor me whoa is me etc, which from experience, can bring you down too.
  • dalesrant
    dalesrant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    CHF is common and not normal. You are the right road with proper nutrician. You will put this behind you!
  • dannybias46
    dannybias46 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In 2010. Diagnosed with AFIB/Dilated Cardiomyopathy
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with CHF recently. Systolic, from stress. I have a sodium restriction of 2000. I am not allowed to lift weights, but can do a little bit of cardio. No dietary restrictions because I have clear arteries etc (like I said its from stress not diet, my cholesterol is 78) . I am getting used it. My doctor is also baffled! I am also young, but not as young as you. I may have had this for many years, it just got soo bad this past summer I went to an ER, found out my Injection Fraction is 15%. I am the only person I know with this problem. My Dr. thinks I can recover, I am going back for an ECHO in January. I am on 4 different meds that sometimes mess me up, make me very sleepy in the morning. sometimes randomly during the day since they lower BP and mine can dip to 90/55. (Ihave a BP cuff at home).
  • barbarai1955
    barbarai1955 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just diagnosed. Probably caused by sarcoidosis. I am still waiting for consults. It's really frustrating. I had been working on eating better for several months and now this! Really being mindful of sodium. And fluids right now although they said I was not at the fluid restriction stage yet. Have lost about 5 pounds in the 11 days I have been on prednisone. Have another 3 weeks on the stuff. I don't usually consent to take it but this time I had to.