Exercising at lunch break--and not eating

Options
To all: I just joined the fitness center at work. I have time to workout during my lunch hour--and I'm wondering if any of you all workout during lunch time and just skip lunch? What's the healthiest option (I'm about 30 pounds overweight--so I'm not going to melt away anytime soon--and I want to exercise.)
Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    This is kind of what I do, although I do bring a small lunch and eat while I'm working. Depending on how hard you exercise you may feel that you need to eat something to help replenish your glycogen when you are done.

When you say "What's the healthiest option", do you mean for exercise? I don't think there is a single healthiest option, although doing some kind of resistance training is universally recommended. For cardiovascular work, the best option is what you will stick with and enjoy (or at least tolerate). I like rowing, the elliptical, and walking on the treadmill at a high incline.

Good luck!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i work out at lunch, and i eat my lunch at my desk when i get back. If you aren't able to eat at your desk, you should eat in the car at a signal or something. Dont skip lunch. You can easily and quickly eat a 3 or 4 hundred calorie sandwich on the go.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As long as you push the lunch calories to a different meal time it's fine to work out during lunch. Don't skip eating it entirely, that's not healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    To all: I just joined the fitness center at work. I have time to workout during my lunch hour--and I'm wondering if any of you all workout during lunch time and just skip lunch? What's the healthiest option (I'm about 30 pounds overweight--so I'm not going to melt away anytime soon--and I want to exercise.)
    Thanks in advance for your help.

I ride most days during my lunch...I still eat though...I brown bag it and eat at my desk.
  • StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If possible, try snacking all throughout the day to prevent yourself from starving, but still getting in enough calories to give you some energy. If you consume around 1k calories throughout the work day, you still have plenty for a nice dinner (800cal). It has worked for me in the past. I did get teased for "always eating", but it was worth it for that extra 2mile walk/jog.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will typically do a 10 min mile at lunch that leaves me 20 min to eat or relax.
  • librarian11111
    librarian11111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!
    @jruzer: when I said "what's the healthiest option" I basically meant could I skip lunch, workout and still be healthy?
    My plan during lunch break is to do the leg press and any other workout that will help me build muscle mass. I have an exercise bike at home but I want to work out at lunch time as I'm only working out at home twice a week.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I go for walks on my lunch break, but I also eat. Honestly if I could do a full workout without getting sweaty and gross, I would love to use my lunch break for that, and I'd probably just snack throughout the day to compensate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    @jruzer: when I said "what's the healthiest option" I basically meant could I skip lunch, workout and still be healthy?
    My plan during lunch break is to do the leg press and any other workout that will help me build muscle mass. I have an exercise bike at home but I want to work out at lunch time as I'm only working out at home twice a week.

How are we to tell? What does healthy mean to you? What did you have for breakfast? Are you hitting your macros, micros, an appropriate calorie goal?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options

Assuming you are getting all your calories in,and doing this is not going to lead you to going over because you get too hungry by your next meal, then it comes down to this, meal timing doesn't matter for healthy people in terms of weight loss as long as calories are kept the same. Not eating in the middle of the day will not help or hurt you in and of itself.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is fine.