Anyone else skip breakfast?

Options
I, for the life of me, cannot eat anything before 10-10:30, but I usually have something around 11-11:30 and it's usually veggies (broccoli and guacamole today). If I do eat early, my stomach hurts, I feel bloated and then I'm hungry ALL day. I've skipped breakfast for a long time now and don't see an issue with health.

Any one else skip? if so, whats your first meal of the day consist of?

Replies

• VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until 1pm. Only coffee/tea with a little skimmed milk.

Many people do this, it's called intermittent fasting.
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good to hear, I get a lecture every time I mention that.. So what do you eat when you first eat, after the coffee that is, do you go for a big lunch or a breakfast type food?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My husband is not a breakfast person. He's not a morning person. His circadian rhythm is primed for nighttime. It's hard for him to eat unless he's been awake for at least two hours, preferably not until noon. He can go to the gym and work out at midnight.
    I'm a morning person. Feed me within an hour of getting out of bed, or I'll probably gnaw your arm off. ;) And by midnight, I'm in bed, asleep. By about 7 pm, I'm done for.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I usually get the same way. If I eat too soon after waking up then I feel a little sick to my stomach for a good hour.

On work days, I'll generally eat a little something high protein/low cal at noon on my first break. My lunch is at 2:00pm, so I'll eat around 500cal lunch, and save the rest of my day for dinner/night snacks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am up around 5:00 a.m. Have a cup of coffee with almond milk and a tbsp of creamer around 7:00. My first food of the day is usually Greek yogurt and berries sometime between 9:00 and 10:00, whenever my stomach starts growling. If I eat breakfast early, I get more hungry throughout the day and end up eating more calories.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My first meal is around noon. I generally eat from 12-9/10. Works for me! I like having more cals for dinner and evening snacks.

I generally am up at 6:30, gym at 8 after dropping big kids at school, then home by 9:30 for the babies nap and some house work until lunch.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I do this. I sometimes get physically ill if I eat too early, aside from coffee, so I eat around 1:00-ish, sometimes later. It helps, because nighttime can be my downfall with shoving food in my mouth if I'm not careful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to skip without problem, and lots of people do. No need to force it if you aren't hungry.

For some reason as I got older I started liking breakfast and then a larger breakfast, so I now have around 400 calories before 7 am (sometimes I run first, sometimes I eat first thing).
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm not a breakfast person. Like today I wasn't hungry when I woke up so I didn't eat until noon. Other days I wake up starving so I eat. I love that meal timing doesn't matter.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    NO WAY I typically do 1000- 1200 calories for breakfast but I can easily skip dinner or just eat 300 calories of shrimp
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant if you're healthy (it's different with people with insulin issues etc. ) so it's absolutely fine to do whatever works best for you. I feel a bit sick when I eat first thing in the morning but I feel really lethargic if I eat nothing, so I usually choke down a protein bar with my coffee and that's fine for me until lunch.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I drink tea with milk til lunch time which is anywhere between 12-2pm

Oh and Lunch is typically a smoothie: Protein powder, almond milk, berries, avocado, chia seeds,spinach
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ive hardly ever eaten breakfast since I was in grade school.
    When I wake up (7am) I have coffee with my pills/vitamin (ill get nauseous if I don't at least have coffee w/ milk). I typically don't get hungry until noon. I have a two-three large snacks/small meals. I also eat a late dinner.

If I eat breakfast then I will be hungry much sooner and for the rest of the day. No point in eating if I'm not hungry, especially since I'm trying to lose weight!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm not a breakfast person. Like today I wasn't hungry when I woke up so I didn't eat until noon. Other days I wake up starving so I eat. I love that meal timing doesn't matter.

This is me too. I'm usually not hungry until 1 pm, but if I am, I'll eat. I've been like this since my mother stopped forcing me to eat breakfast, over 30 years ago. So I did while I gained a lot, then while I lost a lot, and now while maintaining. Meal timing really doesn't matter.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I also drink only tea with milk until lunch time which is usually about 1pm. My first meal during the week tends to be left overs of whatever I ate for dinner the night before. Today chicken breast, veggies, mashed sweet potato and corn on the cob. I rarely eat 'breakfast food' during the week unless it's brinner, love me a bit of brinner. On the weekend I often eat my first meal around 11am and it's more likely to be 'breakfast food'.

Have been eating like this for about 2-3 years now.

Echoing what the others have said, meal timing doesn't matter as long as you're getting adequate nutrition. I don't see how eating when you're not hungry could ever be a good strategy if you're trying to lose weight provided you've got a normal appetite and you're not severely under eating.

Don't be surprised if you get told frequently that you're naughty for skipping breakfast. For years the whole breakfast is the most important meal of the day, 6 small meals to stoke the metabolic fire message has been pumped out to people. There's an increasing body of scientific evidence to show otherwise but as usual with these things it takes the public a long time to catch up.

At the end of the day you need to do what works for you and makes you feel good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When I wake up (7am) I have coffee with my pills/vitamin (ill get nauseous if I don't at least have coffee w/ milk). I typically don't get hungry until noon. I have a two-three large snacks/small meals. I also eat a late dinner.

If I eat breakfast then I will be hungry much sooner and for the rest of the day. No point in eating if I'm not hungry, especially since I'm trying to lose weight!

Yep, same here. Eating awakens the hunger monster

• boomersports123
    boomersports123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't get myself to eat anything within the first hour of waking up. I'm not a big breakfast person at all, so I drink a protein shake with dried oats to get my protein and cals in as early as possible. Breakfast actually speeds up the metabolism so I'd try getting something in that's light on your stomach and doesn't bloat you. Eating several small healthy meals thoughout the day is great for speeding up the metabolism. Yogert with some fruit in it is light enough to not bloat the stomach.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Skip - I drink 6 ounces of skim milk with my coffee. Protein keeps me full for a while.
  • boomersports123
    boomersports123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Eating a late dinner is not a good practice while trying to lose weight.

• allenalrayes21
    allenalrayes21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Eating a late dinner is not a good practice while trying to lose weight.

Could you explain why you think that? because i did it while cutting weight and it worked out perfectly fine for me.