Kinda Gross But I Have To Ask..

When you go on a restrictive calorie diet (1,200 calories a day) do you experience constipation more than usual? I drink plenty of water (80 fl oz a day) and walk about 4,000 steps a day. I meet the food guidelines in MFP app for fiber..so what's up?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Low food volume will often result in constipation. Also, make sure you are getting adequate fat in your diet.
  • PrincessBanana89
    PrincessBanana89 Posts: 24 Member
    Wow! I had no idea, I do know that I run low on my fat macros so I will definitely try bumping that up!
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Just eat from twin peaks restaurant. Problem solved
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    More fat, more water...coffee works wonders for some. Or 30 minutes of vigorous exercise like running...does it for me every time, lol!
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    I've been experiencing this too! I chalked it up to starting a prenatal vitamin (with tons of iron) around the same time of my diet change. Likely a combination of both. I probably skimp on the fat. I was thinking about posting this question but was too embarassed :p haha so thanks.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Adding fiber worked for me.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yep - Take Magnesium Citrate tablet morning, and evening.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I've been experiencing this too! I chalked it up to starting a prenatal vitamin (with tons of iron) around the same time of my diet change. Likely a combination of both. I probably skimp on the fat. I was thinking about posting this question but was too embarassed :p haha so thanks.

The only thing that helped me when I was on a prenatal was a stool softener....didnt matter what else i did!
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    psyllium husk will help!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Fiber is really important for a smooth...you know! A good indication (sorry this is about to get gross) of enough fiber is if your um.. stuff. . Floats or not! More fiber=float, heavy and sinking=less fiber so there's a good observational point for you! Sorry if that was tmi....
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    I didn't know fiber made your poo float. I eat like 25-50 grams per day haha.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    In the first week, yes. If fiber and fat are on point though, everything is good to go.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Drink more water. Even if you have enough fiber, you have to paint it with water to get success ;)
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Make sure you eat one magnesium tablet each day (250 or 300 mg), it will help a lot. Good luck
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2016
    mkakids wrote: »
    More fat, more water...coffee works wonders for some. Or 30 minutes of vigorous exercise like running...does it for me every time, lol!

Oh man, so much this for me too! No matter what I do or what I eat (or don't eat) before I run I always have to go to the bathroom. When I'm training it's not big deal because my running routes are usually on roads where I can stop at like a coffee place or something but when it comes to race day they don't have port-a-pottys in my distance (I'm only a 5K runner) so it worries me, which causes more stress, which causes a need for the bathroom :|
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Eating really large portions of steamed or raw vegetables can really help with that. They are nutrient dense but not calorie dense.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    @PrincessBanana89 I had this problem for about 3 weeks and it was a real bad time. I started taking magnesium citrate tables (2 in the morning and 2 at night with a huge glass of water) and BINGO! Works like a charm!!

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    The proper fiber/water intake is of the utmost importance with these regards. Too much fiber without the correct amount of aqua can lock you up like fort Knox.

Good luck.
  • MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    I use Benefiber. Works for me. Plus lots of water.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    also, eating smaller volumes of food means smaller volumes of waste