Please help How cals did I really burn??????

Options
Soooo my fitbit arrives on Friday, and I can't find any website to calculate this so.

I'm 154.0
Walked on Incline of 30%
for 120 Minutes
Speed of 3.5 Average Rate

how many cals did I burn?

The machine says like 2000 cals, Could it be correct even tho I never put in my weight.

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    According to Scooby's you burned 656 calories (assuming you're around an average height of 5'7. I had to input something for the total). Scooby's is a little faulty too, but it's a LOT closer than the machines. Never trust the machines. Especially ellipticals.

Here's the source: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    3.5 mph for 2 hours? So you covered 7 miles? I'd say minimum of 700 calories, maximum of 1200. Treadmill burns are notoriously high.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks so muchhh
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    The website only had an incline of 15% I walked at 30% incline.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust the machine just go with what mfp says for uphill walk. However incline counts for a bit so 1200 at least.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options

30% would be pretty insane. You might've burned a little more for that, but you'd have to bust your butt to do that for 120 minutes.

Here's a video that shows it at that grade, for visual reference:
    https://youtu.be/CcNc-fd8dR4
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

30% would be pretty insane. You might've burned a little more for that, but you'd have to bust your butt to do that for 120 minutes.

That's what I was thinking too. A 30% incline is enormous, like climbing a mountain continuously. If you actually did that, OP, and at 3.5 MPH, kudos to you.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

True dat. Also, excellent username.

Muppets-Maniacal-Laugh.jpg

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Did you hold onto the rails?
    If so, you burned a lot less than expected.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Did you hold onto the rails?
    If so, you burned a lot less than expected.

Ah yes. You see people do that all the time. Whacking incline, leaning back and holding on for dear life.... and reducing burn by 25% in the process...

• Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    According to Scooby's you burned 656 calories (assuming you're around an average height of 5'7. I had to input something for the total). Scooby's is a little faulty too, but it's a LOT closer than the machines. Never trust the machines. Especially ellipticals.

Here's the source: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/

OMG thanks for this! I also LOVE the humor of Scoobie!!
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    Yes i do hold the ralls at 30
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Soooo my fitbit arrives on Friday, and I can't find any website to calculate this so.

I'm 154.0
    Walked on Incline of 30%
    for 120 Minutes
    Speed of 3.5 Average Rate

how many cals did I burn?

The machine says like 2000 cals, Could it be correct even tho I never put in my weight.

If no weight, then no number will be accurate.

Your were holding on to the handrails, so that offset 50-60% of your work effort (and calorie burn).

If the 2 hours was constant effort then 750-850 gross is more realistic (610-710 net).
  • Azdak
    Options
    3.5 mph for 2 hours? So you covered 7 miles? I'd say minimum of 700 calories, maximum of 1200. Treadmill burns are notoriously high.

If you don't hold on, and enter weight, treadmill burns are pretty accurate, esp at walking speeds.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

That's what I was thinking too. A 30% incline is enormous, like climbing a mountain continuously. If you actually did that, OP, and at 3.5 MPH, kudos to you.

At that speed and incline, w/out handrail support, it would require elite Olympic champion ability to sustain.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes i do hold the ralls at 30

Don't !!
    Suggest you reduce the incline to a level where you don't have to.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is a formula that will get you closer to actual cals burned then any HRM or machine generated estimates that runners have used for decades.

(Body weight) x (miles) x .64 = cals burned

154 x 7x .64 = 690 cals

Walking/running on a machine which is much easier than actual pavement or track you would lower it by 10-15%. Though if you were on a incline mostly, then I would keep it in the 690 range.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    There is a formula that will get you closer to actual cals burned then any HRM or machine generated estimates that runners have used for decades.

(Body weight) x (miles) x .64 = cals burned

154 x 7x .64 = 690 cals

Walking/running on a machine which is much easier than actual pavement or track you would lower it by 10-15%. Though if you were on a incline mostly, then I would keep it in the 690 range.

That calculation is for running. If the OP is walking at 3.5 mph it would be more like .30
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options

True dat. Also, excellent username.

Muppets-Maniacal-Laugh.jpg

XD LOL. Thanks.