Help! What Dress Size Should I Order???

Options
Ok, I have to go to a wedding in Sept in Ireland, it's my sister-in-law's wedding, and my husband is going to be wearing a kilt with all the accessories, so I need to wear something pretty formal too. That means I need to order a dress soon, but I'm expecting to be at least 30 lbs lighter by the time of the wedding. Right now I'm wearing a UK size 30/32 trouser but they are QUITE loose (like the other day at work when I was walking around I was worried they might fall down lol). I'm 5'4" and expect I will be weighing around 280 by the time of the wedding. So, anyone out there who is/was a similar size, what size should I expect to wear? Would a UK 26/28 still be ok, or should I order a 22/24?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'd say order the dress in a size bigger than you think you're probably going to be. You can always take a dress in that is too big! You cannot do the other way around.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I vote you get something like a 'wrap' dress in the exact size you are now. By the time September rolls around it should still semi-fit and if it doesn't you can just tie it tighter!
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    A lot depends on your body shape as well as your weight.

At my heaviest I was around the 17st 5lb (243lb), and I'm 5'3". I was wearing a UK 24-26.

I'm now at 180lb and wearing a UK size 14 (It was an amazing feeling the day I realised I didn't have to shop in Evan's anymore... ;) ).

I'm quite big busted (no matter how much weight I lose I've never gone below a G cup), and I think when I was heavier I was possibly wearing a bigger size than I could have got away with as I didn't want 'the girls' getting too much attention.

If you have similar issues than I'd be tempted to go for a size larger than you might need. It's better for a dress to be a little looser than a little tighter, and it might just give you a little more breathing space. Alternatively, maybe consider going for a more floaty type dress that has more fabric built in. They can often compliment a range of sizes if you're just not sure.

Either way, enjoy the day... :)
  • ValerieSW
    ValerieSW Posts: 32
    Options
    A lot depends on your body shape as well as your weight.

I'm more of a pear shape, I usually have trouble getting things to fit around my tummy, not my chest.