Weighing food is so important!

Ever since I invested in a scale my journey has changed drastically! I was suprised how much I was overeating since I just was using measuring cups for.. Boy was I wrong! I feel more confident that I'm getting the correct amounts of food now and I very much so recommend investing in one.. You won't be sorry ☺️

Replies

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    A kitchen food scale is an absolutely indispensable tool and will aid greatly one's way to success. A fact.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I disagree. I think it is a waste of time and would just make cooking boring. If in doubt, overestimate the calorie intake..
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I'm in the middle. I weigh things like meat, but I use either package sizes for veg or cups. I do overestimate rather than under too!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    It really becomes more important to those who are very lean.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    I have one in the mail :)

I agree it's probably very important for calorie heavy stuff. Don't know that I'll use it for veggies and stuff though.. Will have to experiment how it fits in my routine
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I am curious, what were some things you weren't measuring properly before you had a scale?
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    I am curious, what were some things you weren't measuring properly before you had a scale?

Peanut butter
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Yup. I love my kitchen scale and use it all the time. Even when I'm making a protein smoothie for breakfast I put the blender thingy (sorry, don't know what to call the thingy you put the stuff into lol) on the scale and weigh all the ingredients I'm putting in it.
    I disagree. I think it is a waste of time and would just make cooking boring. If in doubt, overestimate the calorie intake..

It's good if you're making a specific recipe and need to know how many calories are per serving. I don't think it makes cooking boring in the least. I like it because I can control the portion size that my husband gets since he just shovels food on his plate. And before anyone even jumps in and points that part out, he knows he has a habit of doing that and is glad that I portion the food. After a while you get good at eyeballing but I still use it to double check some things. *shrugs* To each their own I guess.
  • M30834134

Hmmm.... butter, beans, broccoli, cabbage, flour, protein powder, cheese, chicken, meats, fish, etc. etc

Additionally, scales can help you determine by how much different foods change in weight after you cook it the way you cook so you either create your own "cooked" versions of foods or adjust the existing ones.

eldamiano wrote: »

This might create a problem and stall your progress especially when close to your goal when the deficit is not large.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    There's absolutely no way I would have lost the weight I have over the last year without a food scale. No way.

Thankfully, I'm now to the point where I can estimate with decent accuracy. I still it out if I'm ever in doubt though... which is also a good life lesson. heh
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    MasterVal wrote: »

Hmmm.... butter, beans, broccoli, cabbage, flour, protein powder, cheese, chicken, meats, fish, etc. etc

Additionally, scales can help you determine by how much different foods change in weight after you cook it the way you cook so you either create your own "cooked" versions of foods or adjust the existing ones.

This might create a problem and stall your progress especially when close to your goal when the deficit is not large.

Go for an extra walk. If it is more difficult to achieve something, then extra measures should be taken.
  • M30834134

Go for an extra walk. If it is more difficult to achieve something, then extra measures should be taken.

An extra walk is, obviously, an option of that extra measure but isn't a kitchen scale is more effective and useful tool for that?

Weight loss process is inherently not very precise - everything is estimated: food calories, exercise calories, BMR, TDEE and those estimations stack up pretty quickly. Isn't just logical and effective to take control of what you can control - food weight? If we, the users of this site, could properly estimate our intake, I dont think majority would've been here in the first place.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

An extra walk is, obviously, an option of that extra measure but isn't a kitchen scale is more effective and useful tool for that?

Weight loss process is inherently not very precise - everything is estimated: food calories, exercise calories, BMR, TDEE and those estimations stack up pretty quickly. Isn't just logical and effective to take control of what you can control - food weight? If we, the users of this site, could properly estimate our intake, I dont think majority would've been here in the first place.

Also take into consideration that controlling calories is significantly easier than spending a lot of extra time working out. And since professionals can under estimate their intake by as much as 400 calories, it would require a ton of extra exercise to offset logging error.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    I just upgraded my scale. It comes today! I cant wait. Measuring spoons, cups and my scale are so important. "eyeballing" just doesnt work for me. You wanna "eyeball" a tablespoon of oil or 4oz of ribeye? Not me! For cereal, pasta, beans, etc my scale is more than necessary.

If you are going to log- why not be accurate?

EDIT: "you" - is meant for general speaking purposes. Not to anyone in particular.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member

How about just weighing your food instead so that you have a more accurate idea of how many calories you consumed? I for one am not going to "go for an extra walk" every time I log something and shoot on the high side. I'd be walking for 8 hours a day if I did that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Like....going the extra mile to ensure caloric intake is measured more accurately??

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    A kitchen food scale is an absolutely indispensable tool and will aid greatly one's way to success. A fact.

It totally depends on who the "one" is. Weighing all food makes some people too obsessed. Others find it cumbersome or time consuming and unsustainable.

It can be a useful tool but it's not for everyone. Some people control their weight without it just fine.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I love my food scale. I remember thinking that it would be complicated to use one, but I find it so much faster and easier than measuring cups and spoons. Plus, I get to feel like a mad scientist at breakfast. :drinker:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member

Lol. Don't use a food scale if you don't want to, but taking an extra 30 seconds to verify I'm eating the amount I think I am turned weight loss (and weight maintenance over the past couple years) from a difficult, murky task into basic arithmetic. Sooo simple, so quick, so logical, I loved it when I was losing and I love it to maintain.

It's not necessary for everyone, some people are capable of creating a solid deficit without it, but for anyone who's losses aren't living up to their expectations it is such a great tool to have and really takes so much guesswork out of the whole thing.

I mostly use mine now to make sure I'm not shortchanging myself as I'm hoping to build some muscle and need to eat enough to facilitate that, but it's still something I use at pretty well every meal.
  • M30834134

It totally depends on who the "one" is. Weighing all food makes some people too obsessed. Others find it cumbersome or time consuming and unsustainable.

It can be a useful tool but it's not for everyone. Some people control their weight without it just fine.

Of course. But do you think that most of us here using MFP to lose/maintain weight belong to "Some people control their weight without it just fine"? :smile: