Weighing food is so important!

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    A kitchen food scale is an absolutely indispensable tool and will aid greatly one's way to success. A fact.

It totally depends on who the "one" is. Weighing all food makes some people too obsessed. Others find it cumbersome or time consuming and unsustainable.

It can be a useful tool but it's not for everyone. Some people control their weight without it just fine.

Of course. But do you think that most of us here using MFP to lose/maintain weight belong to "Some people control their weight without it just fine"? :smile:

I don't know. I would guess that most don't control their weight just fine with or without it.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A kitchen food scale is an absolutely indispensable tool and will aid greatly one's way to success. A fact.

It totally depends on who the "one" is. Weighing all food makes some people too obsessed. Others find it cumbersome or time consuming and unsustainable.

It can be a useful tool but it's not for everyone. Some people control their weight without it just fine.

Of course. But do you think that most of us here using MFP to lose/maintain weight belong to "Some people control their weight without it just fine"? :smile:

I don't know. I would guess that most don't control their weight just fine with or without it.

:smile: could be
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I just got one a couple weeks ago and I literally weigh almost everything that touches my plate. Sometimes I get lazy and dont weigh out my veggies still though. But it's helping me, and I enjoy doing it, even if my entire family thinks I'm crazy. I intend on getting to a point where nothing touches my plate without it being weighed first, gotta break my lazy bones habits though.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pro-food-scale side, it made a huge difference for me. In addition to the reasons others have already stated, that silly little thing completely removed the guilt and worry I often had about my diet.

I would "overestimate" everything, but I often worried if I had overestimated enough. I would be a little hungry after dinner and want a small snack, but what if I had eyeballed a portion wrong and didn't really have calories left? Now I'm confident my calories are as close to accurate as I can get them, and I have a little icecream (or a beer) after dinner with no bad feelings, because I know it fits.

And on those days I can't weigh my portions, I don't worry because I know most of the time I'm on point.

Plus I'm a data geek, and what's the point of data if it's not as accurate as possible? :)

I only had 15 lbs to lose, so my deficit was only 250 calories, which is really easy to negate with one food estimated wrong here and there. I kept gaining and losing the same 5 lbs until I got my food scale.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    I am curious, what were some things you weren't measuring properly before you had a scale?

Hmmm.... butter, beans, broccoli, cabbage, flour, protein powder, cheese, chicken, meats, fish, etc. etc

Additionally, scales can help you determine by how much different foods change in weight after you cook it the way you cook so you either create your own "cooked" versions of foods or adjust the existing ones.

I disagree. I think it is a waste of time and would just make cooking boring. If in doubt, overestimate the calorie intake..

This might create a problem and stall your progress especially when close to your goal when the deficit is not large.

Go for an extra walk. If it is more difficult to achieve something, then extra measures should be taken.

Like....going the extra mile to ensure caloric intake is measured more accurately??

bgv1qy9ve4v1.gif
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I am curious, what were some things you weren't measuring properly before you had a scale?

For me it was pasta. I was underestimating pasta by a pretty good margin.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I think most people at MFP would learn a lot from temporary use of a food scale and could learn from it to eyeball portions correctly, if they chose to.

I don't like the pervasive attitude that "Everyone MUST weigh all their food and they must do it forever because I will never learn and therefore no one will ever learn to estimate portions."
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

+1
    I was eating almost twice the calories in pasta by "just eyeballing".
    I was eating 40% more calories of my oatmeal and other dry grains because I was using a measured cup instead of a food scale. No more. I am nicely maintaining my weight now.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "not everyone needs to weigh their food".

I do have a scale. Used 2 times.
    On MFP for almost 4 years. I have lost over 1/2 of my current body weight, and have been on maintenance for over 2 years.

As with most things pertaining to losing weight/becoming healthier, find what works for you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale. I remember thinking that it would be complicated to use one, but I find it so much faster and easier than measuring cups and spoons. Plus, I get to feel like a mad scientist at breakfast. :drinker:

And less dishes, because I don't have to wash those measuring cups!

Another vote for USE THE SCALE!

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I disagree. I think it is a waste of time and would just make cooking boring. If in doubt, overestimate the calorie intake..

Personally I find that it makes cooking more interesting and brings a lot more awareness of what I am going to be eating. Considering that most people have no idea what an ounce of anything actually looks like it is a useful tool for acquiring valuable knowledge. The extra few seconds required to put food on a scale isn't really wasted.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Hmmm.... butter, beans, broccoli, cabbage, flour, protein powder, cheese, chicken, meats, fish, etc. etc

Additionally, scales can help you determine by how much different foods change in weight after you cook it the way you cook so you either create your own "cooked" versions of foods or adjust the existing ones.

This might create a problem and stall your progress especially when close to your goal when the deficit is not large.

Go for an extra walk. If it is more difficult to achieve something, then extra measures should be taken.

Today while pre-logging, I thought I was over-estimating a piece of cake when I logged it at 100 grams thinking it looks more like 70 grams. When cake time came and I weighed it, it was actually 123 grams. A difference of 150 calories, or a 30 minute walk.

Now that's only one item. Now imagine if I had this margin of error with many other items. What's easier? investing in a cheap food scale while having less dishes to wash, or walking 2-3 extra hours a day on top of my usual hour "just in case"?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Today while pre-logging, I thought I was over-estimating a piece of cake when I logged it at 100 grams thinking it looks more like 70 grams. When cake time came and I weighed it, it was actually 123 grams. A difference of 150 calories, or a 30 minute walk.

Now that's only one item. Now imagine if I had this margin of error with many other items. What's easier? investing in a cheap food scale while having less dishes to wash, or walking 2-3 extra hours a day on top of my usual hour "just in case"?

^^Again, whatever works for you, and gets you to where you want to be.
    For some, it is not necessary.
    I have been cooking and baking for over 50 years, so I know what amounts look like, at least close enough to not be detrimental to my weight loss/maintenance. I have lost over 1/2 of my current body weight, and have been maintaining the loss for over 2 years. It obviously worked (is working) for me.
    I am sure there are others that are able to do the same.

Having said that, if you are having issues with losing weight, one of the first thing I would look at is, weighing, measuring, sticking to portion sizes, and logging everything you eat and drink, because, the problem may be overestimating amounts.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

+1
    I was eating almost twice the calories in pasta by "just eyeballing".
    I was eating 40% more calories of my oatmeal and other dry grains because I was using a measured cup instead of a food scale. No more. I am nicely maintaining my weight now.

Oh, I guess I typed the opposite of what I meant. I always think 2 oz of pasta is smaller than it actually is. I was eating less than I thought.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

^^Again, whatever works for you, and gets you to where you want to be.
    For some, it is not necessary.
    I have been cooking and baking for over 50 years, so I know what amounts look like, at least close enough to not be detrimental to my weight loss/maintenance. I have lost over 1/2 of my current body weight, and have been maintaining the loss for over 2 years. It obviously worked (is working) for me.
    I am sure there are others that are able to do the same.

Having said that, if you are having issues with losing weight, one of the first thing I would look at is, weighing, measuring, sticking to portion sizes, and logging everything you eat and drink, because, the problem may be overestimating amounts.

See, this is fine. Some are better than others at estimating and so on. It's different in your case. Heck, some people lose weight without logging at all. Of course I have no issue with anyone who is able to estimate accurately without weighing. My reply was to the person who generalized that it's a "waste of time" for everyone, and that everyone should just take an extra walk instead of weighing food.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I just upgraded my scale. It comes today! I cant wait. Measuring spoons, cups and my scale are so important. "eyeballing" just doesnt work for me. You wanna "eyeball" a tablespoon of oil or 4oz of ribeye? Not me! For cereal, pasta, beans, etc my scale is more than necessary.

If you are going to log- why not be accurate?

EDIT: "you" - is meant for general speaking purposes. Not to anyone in particular.

I suck at estimating portions. I use a food to weight anything I can. It's become a habit. It take no more time for me than using a volumetric measure. For me the key is having the scale available. If I have to hunt for it thats a problem. To avoid this I have one on the kitchen counter for meal prep and another on the dining room table to weigh portions at dinner. I also have a smaller "gram" scale for portioning smaller calorie dense items. These are not expensive Items. I don't think I've paid more than $15 for any of the scales.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Personally I find that it makes cooking more interesting and brings a lot more awareness of what I am going to be eating. Considering that most people have no idea what an ounce of anything actually looks like it is a useful tool for acquiring valuable knowledge. The extra few seconds required to put food on a scale isn't really wasted.

Agreed.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm on the pro-food-scale side, it made a huge difference for me. In addition to the reasons others have already stated, that silly little thing completely removed the guilt and worry I often had about my diet.

I would "overestimate" everything, but I often worried if I had overestimated enough. I would be a little hungry after dinner and want a small snack, but what if I had eyeballed a portion wrong and didn't really have calories left? Now I'm confident my calories are as close to accurate as I can get them, and I have a little icecream (or a beer) after dinner with no bad feelings, because I know it fits.

And on those days I can't weigh my portions, I don't worry because I know most of the time I'm on point.

Plus I'm a data geek, and what's the point of data if it's not as accurate as possible? :)

I only had 15 lbs to lose, so my deficit was only 250 calories, which is really easy to negate with one food estimated wrong here and there. I kept gaining and losing the same 5 lbs until I got my food scale.

That's me. I feel so much more free to eat more now that I don't have to overestimate so much "to feel safe". Plus, the constant struggle to estimate my portion sizes and eyeball things to log it was driving me crazy. With a scale, I weight it and log it and I'm done. I don't have to struggle to decide - did I take exactly half of that or was it more like 2/3?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »

That's me. I feel so much more free to eat more now that I don't have to overestimate so much "to feel safe". Plus, the constant struggle to estimate my portion sizes and eyeball things to log it was driving me crazy. With a scale, I weight it and log it and I'm done. I don't have to struggle to decide - did I take exactly half of that or was it more like 2/3?

I would agree with this. If you are going to stress over how much you are eating then don't guess. Measure it. And, conversely, if you are going to stress over having to measure everything, then don't do measure.

Eating shouldn't be stressful. Stress is bad.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »

I would agree with this. If you are going to stress over how much you are eating then don't guess. Measure it. And, conversely, if you are going to stress over having to measure everything, then don't do measure.

Eating shouldn't be stressful. Stress is bad.

This is the best thing I've heard about weighing vs 'eyeballing' on this entire site, ever. Well done, @Need2Exerc1se!