Have you ever retroactively decided you were bulking?

My plan was, starting in October, to recomp -- eating at maintenance and doing Stronglifts 5x5. Due to some bad eating choices over the holidays (okay, starting at Halloween), I seem to have gained about 7 lbs. I figure at least some of that has to be muscle, right??

So I'm pretending I meant to do that, calling it a dirty bulk, and moving on to a gradual cut. Sound reasonable? Anyone else ever done the same?

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Haha YES! I just went through the exact same thing. Just now trying to reign it in now though.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2016
    Yes and no...I pretty much know that every year between October and the end of January that I'm going to put on weight...I do tend to eat a bit more and with winter moving in I tend to spend less time on my bike. Knowing this, I make sure I hit the weight room pretty hard.

I guess it's not retroactive per sei...but it's not necessarily a deliberate "I'm going to bulk" kind of thing...I just know it's going to happen and make sure I get into the weight room doing a hypertrophy program.

We start getting a lot of spring like weather here in February and by now I'm really missing spending time on my bike...so I start cranking out the miles and of course, holidays or over, etc so my eating becomes more normalized...I drop the extra fat pretty easily, though I don't usually put on much.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    I love everything about this post. Yes.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    I'm just coming out of a "dirty bulk" lol. My mom was in the hospital on and off since September and just passed away. I've been emotional eating for months and feel like Jabba the Hut! I wish mine was muscle! :wink: Now things will get back to a "new" normal and I'm working on taking back control.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2016
    No - never deliberately bulked.

Got fat a few times though. :neutral:
    Used plenty of other excuses but not that one.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2016
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm just coming out of a "dirty bulk" lol. My mom was in the hospital on and off since September and just passed away. I've been emotional eating for months and feel like Jabba the Hut! I wish mine was muscle! :wink: Now things will get back to a "new" normal and I'm working on taking back control.

Sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well for you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I fulked after my accident.

Semi-intentional - didn't want to be rehabbing, healing and fighting with a calorie deficit at the same time. You can always drop a few extra lbs off again later.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member

Interesting thread. So sorry to hear about your mom. <3
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2016
    Yep. And also while doing Stronglifts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    OP, this thread is simply awesome..

I put on pounds over the holidays and kept lifting then went to a cut Jan 4th. So I guess those pounds were part of a dirty bulk.. hahaha ..

Thank goodness I have lost it all plus a couple...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Guilty.

I'd done one bulk/cut cycle, then was thinking I'd recomp for a bit ... yeah, that lasted about a month. Started gaining again, but at least it was slow. Turned it into a bulk (that later morphed into half-marathon training) :sweat_smile:

Now I'm trying to cut back down and pick lifting back up. Should have stuck to the recomp. So annoying.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited February 2016
    Can't say I've done it, but I've wondered if I may step into it unknowingly. I've started a recomp and I'm trying to stay right around maintenance calories, but I've wondered if I start going over my allotment by a bit....will it hurt my cause in the long run? I can always cut a bit back off. I dunno.... :/
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes and no...I pretty much know that every year between October and the end of January that I'm going to put on weight...I do tend to eat a bit more and with winter moving in I tend to spend less time on my bike. Knowing this, I make sure I hit the weight room pretty hard.

I guess it's not retroactive per sei...but it's not necessarily a deliberate "I'm going to bulk" kind of thing...I just know it's going to happen and make sure I get into the weight room doing a hypertrophy program.

We start getting a lot of spring like weather here in February and by now I'm really missing spending time on my bike...so I start cranking out the miles and of course, holidays or over, etc so my eating becomes more normalized...I drop the extra fat pretty easily, though I don't usually put on much.

Same boat. Except I start to normalize around new year, because I know I am not as strict with my diet, so it comes off slightly slower where I'll lose 10-15lbs by April. Then maintain or lose more weight until it's time to get fat again.
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    I put on 8lbs but I'm not trying to loose it as I've lost inches! I don't worry about the scale so much these days it's all about the mirror x
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    I have been joking that my recomp changed to a bulk cycle as well. I was supposed to be at maintenance but I think I have put on about 2 pounds in 2 months (water weight fluctuations make such a small amount difficult to pin down). I was keeping my protein high and doing a heavy weightlifting program - so I joke I was doing a very short bulk that I am going to have to follow with a hopefully short cut.
  • That was how I justified my eating for most of 2015. Except that it really worked out to be more like "dirty maintenance," and that just sounds... unhygienic?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No...but I started my bulk on my 30th birthday and since then we've had Thanksgiving, xmas, New Years, my anniversary, the Super Bowl, strange bingey moments for no reason, parties...let's just say it hasn't been as clean of a bulk as I had hoped for. Definitely averaging more than .5lbs per week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    That was how I justified my eating for most of 2015. Except that it really worked out to be more like "dirty maintenance," and that just sounds... unhygienic?

lmao
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Knittnponder, I am very sorry for your loss. You have certainly had every reason for emotional eating!