Rapid weight gain hormones-medication

Graceraeg
Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have gained 20 lbs in a 2 month time span. In which time I was taking Zoloft. I found out recently that I have cysts on my ovaries. I feel horrible. Could this be stress related or are my hormones the cause? I have not been eating more.. It really is miserable. How can I fight my hormones and lose weight?

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Off the cuff response is to ask how you know you're not eating more. If you're not weighing accurately and logging everything, chances are you're eating more than you think. Especially if you're dealing with stress. A lot of people stress eat and don't realize how much they're eating when they do.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    You are eating more calories than you think if you have gained 20 pounds in 2 months. Go to the doctor and have them check your blood work to be completely sure, but I would suggest you invest in a food scale, weigh everything you eat, and log it religiously. No cheating, no skipping. See what that shows for six weeks, then adjust from there.

f67w25y96aok.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I can't speak to any medical issues. It's possible that you're not burning as many calories as you used to.

That said, the laws of thermodynamics require that if you consume fewer calories than you burn, you body has to pull energy from storage (fat). If you consume more than you burn, your body stores the extra for later (fat).
    Long story short, CICO (calories in, calories out).

My suggestion: put your stats into MFP and eat the suggested number of calories.
    Invest in a food scale so that you can be accurate in measuring how much you eat (people who guess or eyeball it or even depend on measuring cups often get it wrong by hundreds of calories).
    Log everything.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    You may be eating the same but moving less. Cystic ovaries are pretty painful. My cat had them and she was self mutilating from the stress. In her case she was staying lean and only gained weight when the problem was resolved. However it was making her hyperactive. If you are moving less because you feel miserable you could easily be eating more than your burn.

Have you discussed treatments with your Dr? This isn't a problem that will go away or be managed with over the counter pain relievers.
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    I have a food scale. I can admit I haven't been logging everything. I have had changes in medications that I think messed up my body chemistry. I feel like I'm in a pit and don't know how to get out because I'm to heavy to pull myself up.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Graceraeg wrote: »
    I have a food scale. I can admit I haven't been logging everything. I have had changes in medications that I think messed up my body chemistry. I feel like I'm in a pit and don't know how to get out because I'm to heavy to pull myself up.

Medications like Zoloft can change the body chemistry so you are only feeling what is going on. There are several factors going on:

1-Your body may be reacting to the carbs like an insulin resistant person. Lower your carbs and increase your protein, fat, and fiber to feel more full. Drink a lot of water.
    2-You're not logging accurately. Tighten up the logging.
    3-What shadowfax said about not moving as much.

The CICO is not STRICTLY the only thing going on here. It is contributing, but you may find that changing your foods will help. Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Graceraeg wrote: »

Medications like Zoloft can change the body chemistry so you are only feeling what is going on. There are several factors going on:

1-Your body may be reacting to the carbs like an insulin resistant person. Lower your carbs and increase your protein, fat, and fiber to feel more full. Drink a lot of water.
    2-You're not logging accurately. Tighten up the logging.
    3-What shadowfax said about not moving as much.

The CICO is not STRICTLY the only thing going on here. It is contributing, but you may find that changing your foods will help. Good luck!
    Actually CICO is strictly the only thing going on here. Problem is... the CO side of the equation may be off-kilter as a result of the meds. Your job is the adjust the CI side of the equation to create the adequate caloric deficit required to achieve your goals.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Certain medications can either drastically increase your appetite and/or cause you to retain water. I've been on steroids long term so I've had the first battle plenty! I have managed to lose 24lbs so far but the willpower involved can be superhuman at times! Check out water retention as a potential side effect and maybe talk to your doc about switching medicines or ways in which you can minimise the side effects (ie reduce the dosage possibly). Good luck!
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Zoloft made me gain a ton of weight. I switched to Wellbutrin and I lost over 20 lbs in 2-3 months. I've also had a lot of ovarian cysts throughout my life and my ob/gyn said its normal and harmless it comes with your monthly cycle and even though they can be painful and uncomfortable they're rarely anything serious, unless they rupture. It's probably the Zoloft making you feel like crap. That medication is the devil... It took me a long time to realize what it was doing to me. I feel for you though! Goodluck with everything!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    When I was prescribed Zoloft 10 years ago my doctor specifically told me that medication would make me feel hungrier than normal and I needed to watch my portions or I would gain weight on it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Zoloft made me gain a ton of weight. I switched to Wellbutrin and I lost over 20 lbs in 2-3 months. I've also had a lot of ovarian cysts throughout my life and my ob/gyn said its normal and harmless it comes with your monthly cycle and even though they can be painful and uncomfortable they're rarely anything serious, unless they rupture. It's probably the Zoloft making you feel like crap. That medication is the devil... It took me a long time to realize what it was doing to me. I feel for you though! Goodluck with everything!

I too have great success with Wellbutrin and did not like Zoloft.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Wellbutrin is used off-label as an appetite suppressant. Zoloft is not.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I have always said medication couldn't possibly have an impact in my weight gain, mostly because I knew I had stopped exercise and I wasn't logging and gained 50-60lbs in a year while on Zoloft. Recent events have had me switch off of it, and while I am still transitioning off the medication I have already lost a pound and I'm not trying at all. I'm not logging, eating what I want when I'm hungry (not going crazy, I know approx the Cals in foods), and not exercising purposefully. I'm guessing it's more to do with overall feeling like a pile of cow dung but I am eating just as often and I feel just as satisfied so perhaps I have found my answer. Not once was I able to restrict calories while on that medication and be successful, but I WAS successful in the past on different types or no medication.

Quitting the medication is very hard, I'm having to rely on my partner way more than usual, and am having to see my doctor weekly to keep in touch, but I know I'm making the right choice for myself. I'd never tell someone to stop or switch without talking to their doc, but it's worth a conversation at least.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Personal experience means I would agree with the medication causing the changes- chat to your doctor as giving you a drug that is supposed to lift you but causes side effects (a common side effect of this drug) such as weight gain will negate the effects of the medication!!