I HATE REST DAYS...anyone else?

Options
Typically, my goal is to get a work out in every day of the week. My routine consists of 15 minutes of stretching, 15-20 minutes of cardio (running at 6 mph) and about 45-60 minutes of heavy lifting. I alternate upper/lower body days and have a lot of variation in my work out routine. Everyone keeps telling me that my body requires at least two rest days a week. Especially because I get very little sleep due to a 3-hour commute, 8-hour work day and an uber OCD errand/cleaning habit when I have "free" time. I think one rest day would suffice, but I seem to get really down on myself whenever I have tried to have a rest day or "cheat day" previously. For example, this past weekend I didn't make it to the gym on Saturday or Sunday due to getting a lot done around the house. Two rest days. I was not sedentary, but I did not actively lift or run, and felt absolutely terrible and got down on myself like no other afterwards. I felt like I was going to lose any/all gains and felt as if it was an instant look of bloat. Does anyone else have this issue? I would love to know opinions on rest days, scientific backing to the "necessary" aspect of days off, and if anyone else has as much of a "failure" attitude towards rest days as I do (and how you cope)? Thanks!

Replies

• spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I totally can relate to this. I love working out and I take Fridays off always but I hate it I crave the workout which is crazy because as a youth I hated activity I am addicted to it. I had a hospital visit on Wed and was put under sedation I woke up and wanted to workout. I did not so I did a double yesterday. I end up beating myself up for eating bad or having a binge. I think this is not a healthy trait and I am working on accepting it and moving on to the next day just as strong as before the binge. For workouts I am the same way but you will not lose all your gains in a day. Sometimes rest is needed for muscle recovery. Check out Eat to Performs website they touch on this issue. KEEP KICKING BUTT!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I hate rest days too...But I walk for 40 minutes every week day, and my "rest days" are M,W,F, so I'm still moving, plus working toward my step goal on my Garmin Vivofit
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need rest days but they don't be sedentary. Your attitude toward taking days out of the gym sounds unhealthy IMO. The idea that two days off making you backslide and make you bloated is completely in your head.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Rest days are when your muscles repair

Don't fight it

• DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to feeling like you're losing months of hard work after just one rest day. But the dangers of over training are pretty well founded. Resting is hard but I hit a wall this week after about 3 weeks of crossfit with an afternoon run and increasing mileage 6 days/week. I was so fatigued and just wanted to snack all day and lay in bed. Maybe I had a bit of a cold, but I think it was just too much. Rest days can be fun and allow you time to do something you don't normally have time for. You can still be active with a walk or light bike ride, but your body needs time to recover.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No, I enjoy my rest days and understand their value to my fitness...I understand that they are an integral part of my overall fitness plan and just as important as getting in and doing the work. I understand that rest days are where the magic really happens and I actually make those gains.

Rest days are days that I can do a little restorative yoga which is good for my mental health...rest days allow me to focus on other things that need focused on...rest days allow for extra time with the family...rest days allow me to just de-load and de-stress my body.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I have learned to love them. I feel and perform better after them. I love taking a deload or complete rest week every 12 weeks or so. Afterwards, my lifts improve greatly.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I have learned to love them. I feel and perform better after them. I love taking a deload or complete rest week every 12 weeks or so. Afterwards, my lifts improve greatly.

I've hit a lot of lifting PRs and cycling PRs after I've been on vacation for a week.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here saying that rest days are an integral part of the healthy lifestyle process. That being said, I can also understand and have had that blahhh feeling on that rest day. I seem to have conquered it by planning something that brings me just as much joy as the endorphin after a good workout to do on that rest day. I have gone skiing, went shopping (getting steps in), have walked an hour to the movie theater (saw "Room", a terrific movie) and an hour back. The idea is to rest your body from hard activity as well as your mind by having fun doing something else. Life is about balance right ? Don't worry though, we are all in this together :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

I've hit a lot of lifting PRs and cycling PRs after I've been on vacation for a week.

Me too. Gives me something to look forward to when my vacation is ending.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am also not fond of rest days and rarely take a REAL one. I usually lift 4x/week and do cardio on the days I don't lift. That being said, I *do* listen to my body, so if I am feeling really tired/worn out, I will take a complete rest day.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Another favorite rest day activity for me is doing a bike and wine tour...we have this little 12 mile loop you can do and you can stop at four different wineries for tastings...it's a great date for my wife and I while still being active, but the ride is just a mellow one and doesn't interfere with any kind of recovery...plus it's good wine...downside is we end up spending a small fortune.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your attitude toward taking days out of the gym sounds unhealthy IMO. The idea that two days off making you backslide and make you bloated is completely in your head.

Agree.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I hate non-running days (rest days) because it makes it much harder to stay in deficit. I love eating that little extra amount on run days! But two days a week I don't have daycare for my toddler and she rarely naps so I just make those my rest days. But I still take about 10,000 steps on those days any way. Unless I'm sick, I'm always active.
  • edwardmack23
    edwardmack23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate rest days its the worst all I think about is going to the gym.... Lol it's sad
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Heck no - I LOVE my rest days! I always take at least one, sometimes two if I need it. And some of my rest days I'm still active in some way - stretching/yoga, walking my dogs, house & yard work, etc, but on others I am TRULY resting all day, sedentary, relaxed - I love it. Hasn't derailed my progress at all, reached my goals and have kept the weight off for over 3 years now. I come back stronger for my workouts after a good rest day or two, and about every 8-12 weeks or so, I take a full week off, no planned workouts at all. Works great for me.
  • boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Typically, my goal is to get a work out in every day of the week. My routine consists of 15 minutes of stretching, 15-20 minutes of cardio (running at 6 mph) and about 45-60 minutes of heavy lifting. I alternate upper/lower body days and have a lot of variation in my work out routine. Everyone keeps telling me that my body requires at least two rest days a week. Especially because I get very little sleep due to a 3-hour commute, 8-hour work day and an uber OCD errand/cleaning habit when I have "free" time. I think one rest day would suffice, but I seem to get really down on myself whenever I have tried to have a rest day or "cheat day" previously. For example, this past weekend I didn't make it to the gym on Saturday or Sunday due to getting a lot done around the house. Two rest days. I was not sedentary, but I did not actively lift or run, and felt absolutely terrible and got down on myself like no other afterwards. I felt like I was going to lose any/all gains and felt as if it was an instant look of bloat. Does anyone else have this issue? I would love to know opinions on rest days, scientific backing to the "necessary" aspect of days off, and if anyone else has as much of a "failure" attitude towards rest days as I do (and how you cope)? Thanks!

Rest days are just as important as training days. Use that time to recover and catch up on sleep. You can also reflect on your upcoming workouts during the week. Don't beat yourself down because you missed a few days. Focus on your nutrition by hitting your calorie goal and/or macronutrients instead.
  • ShinBraich
    ShinBraich Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have to rest to get stronger especially if you use interval training in your sports. 5 days training 2 days rest. Just eat much less on rest days that's where this app is awesome .
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't like rest days either. For some reason, they make me ravenous and I miss the appetite-suppressing effects of a good workout. I get a little bummed, mostly just because I really enjoy working out, but not with the "failure" attitude you have.

Rest days from heavy lifting/strenuous cardio are necessary. That's when the adaptation happens. What's helped me mentally is making my rest days as goal-oriented as my workout days. That way, you are not "failing", you're just achieving something different that day. If I'm going to rest, I'm going to rest well. So, I do yoga or foam rolling, work on flexibility or range of motion. I make sure I drink enough water, eat anti-inflammatory foods. On the rare occasion, I'll find time to take an epsom salt bath.
  • BrittanyWaitersNevitt
    Options
    I would always hear that rest days are when your muscles repair and still hadn't bought into it. It just seemed so counter intuitive to keep getting fit when you're not working out everyday. But I started realized that when I took like a week off, I could actually see the physical changes in my body! Now I've wised up and love rest days! If the OP took their rest days more seriously, I bet they'd progress even further than he alreeady is. They already sounds pretty buff anyway.
    And being addicted to anything, even if it's exercising is never really a good thing.