Suggestions for Greek Yogurt

bjohs
bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I have tried over the years to acquire a taste for yogurt. I don't know if it's just the texture or the taste that makes me dislike it. But I'm giving it a try again with greek yogurt since I've heard so much about it lately. I picked up a blueberry, strawberry and 2 plain (different brands). I think I will try the blueberry first and kind of baby-step my way in to this. :) But, I've seen some suggestions from time to time on what to mix with greek yogurt to make marvelous snacks or treats. Can you share your ideas? I'm looking to try new things!

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    I really like it spread on waffles or bagels, kind of like cream cheese. I also like it mixed with 1/2 cup of cereal.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    My favorite afternoon snack at work is Chobani fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of honey mixed in... yummy!
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    I usually get Fage plain yogurt in 0% fat and then add sugar free jello to it! It adds a lot of volume and flavor without adding calories or sugar. It is also great to mix with PB2 or maple syrup for a sweet treat. I eat it every day!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    I personally don't like the brands that mix the flavors all in one.

I LOVE Athenos brand, though. It comes with separated compartments for the plain, nonfat yogurt and the flavored topping (I think the topping is fruit preservatives/jam, like strawberry, blueberry, peach, etcetera). And you can get a tub of the big plain nonfat container, too. It just tastes fresher to me when it's not mixed all together from the outset...maybe I'm weird. Lol.

But, for the plain, try it with a tablespoon of honey. It's sooooooo tasty. I usually mix it with 1/4 cup granola, too (favorite brand is Bear Naked, love the Bear Naked Fit Triple Berry Crunch). It gives it that extra crunchy texture. Yum.
  • densiert
    densiert Posts: 17
    I eat greek yogurt pretty much everyday. It's either a flavoured one or just plain. We typically put frozen blueberries or raspberries the night before and by the next morning at work it's thawed and very good. When I use the plain yogurt I tend to add a bit of my homemade apple sauce since I find it very tart. But mixing in dried fruits, nuts, cereal ( I like to add bran buds) etc..

Greek Yogurt is very different than regular yogurt but definitely my favourite...and it's very healthy too !

Good luck :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I mix mine with fresh fruit and high fiber cereal.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    - Try the greek yogurt with dill, garlic, and cucumber and put it over a chicken salad or as a dressing to whatever. It is yummy, I think.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    - Try the greek yogurt with dill, garlic, and cucumber and put it over a chicken salad or as a dressing to whatever. It is yummy, I think.

The plain greek yogurt.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    I like to mix nuts or granola with mine but like it best as it is.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    For breakfast lately, I have had 6oz plain 0% greek yogurt, 1/2cup fresh blueberries, 1tsp agave nectar and 1tbsp flax seed meal. It is surprisingly tasty and terribly healthy.
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    My favorite snack right now is my homemade greek style yogurt (1/2 cup) with 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 1/2 to 1 packet of Stevia, and 1 T. of flax seed. YUM!!!!

I have also eaten it with about 1/4 cup of granola or Kashi cereal, which is seriously good too :)
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    For the plain kind i mix honey in it.... soooooo much better
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    i love plain oikos plain!! I use it like sour cream. It is also great with fresh fruit. Add some cinnamon or nuts. i really like it on my scrambled eggs with salsa.
  • bjohs

Wow, that's different! I also read somewhere that someone mixed it with cocoa powder, ice and it tasted like chocolate ice cream. Anyone do something like that?
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    I know it isn't as good for you as the plain, but I get the oikos chocolate greek yogurt and mix it up and then dip strawberries in it. Sooo good! They have caramel too and that is good with strawberries as well.

Throwing some good granola in the plain or honey one would be good as well, but the plain really does taste like cream cheese/sour cream so it would be good on a bagel!
  • bjohs
    I'm almost scared to try it now! Cream cheese, sour cream, fruit, honey??? It almost sounds like primer paint and takes on the color you add to it. Is it kind of like that? Where whatever you add it to it takes on the flavor of? I'm confused and a little nervous now!!! :)
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    I like plain greek yoghurt with 1 tbspn almond butter and some honey or splenda if it is too sour for you without. Tasty:smile:
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    I have been trying to develop a taste for it too. The yoplait strawberry kind is pretty good. I've also been trying a flavor a week of Chobani. All I've tried (I think blueberry, strawberry, lemon, pineapple and peach) has been delicious, except for the lemon! It barely has any flavor and I CANNOT eat plain greek yogurt, I just can't. The one time I mixed fruit with my yogurt, I found it AMAZING. I mixed a banana with pineapple Chobani. YUM! Almost like a pina colada, just needed some coconut.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I like to mix a 50-50 ratio of Fage 0% plain and Kashi Go Lean Crunch.
  • liveforfit
    liveforfit Posts: 39
    I put honey and blueberries in my greek yogurt. :) It tastes so good. <3
This discussion has been closed.