the evil of sugar

Options
now i love my reeces chocolate and breakfast cereal but i eat it knowing the truth about sugar....

thought this documentary would interest anyone who might not understand exactly how calculating the food companies are, and how bad for us sugar is!

good motivation to cut down!

link to the doc is here - its called secrets of sugar:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/secrets-sugar/

enjoy! :)

Replies

• Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about eating sugar. I don't over indulge and pay attention to how much I eat cause sugar is in EVERYTHING. Even if you eat healthy, sugar is in that too.
    I live once, so I'm not gonna worry about what in the heck actually goes into the stuff I eat and just try to eat as healthy as I can.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Think the brand is called SummerRipe. It's a company in California that grows peaches, plums and nectarines, and this is a company who actually has scientists to check the sugar levels in their fruit. And if there's too little sugar, they don't ship it out.
    That awesome peach is so delicious and juicy, and is nothing but solid sugar.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I just had some clementines that were seriously sweet, OMG. They must have added extra sugar. Saboteurs, damn them!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking sugar is not evil after all. Yes!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Another pseudo documentary ...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Good grief. I actually have a painful physical reaction to a certain level of sugar and I still don't think it's evil and I still eat it, often.
  • slowandsteady44
    slowandsteady44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

no, not naturally ocurring sugars in fruit that also come with a side of micronutrients. however refined sugar such as high fructose corn syrup - poisenous to our bodies.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

if you watch the doc, i think you will find that it is not based on pseudo science.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

no, not naturally ocurring sugars in fruit that also come with a side of micronutrients. however refined sugar such as high fructose corn syrup - poisenous to our bodies.

if you watch the doc, i think you will find that it is not based on pseudo science.

Your claim that refined sugar is poison, a fallacy, only furthers how inaccurate the film is.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

Your claim that refined sugar is poison, a fallacy, only furthers how inaccurate the film is.

i should have said refined sugar, i am not referring to naturally ocurring sugars that are found in fruit or just about any other whole food. please explain how this is inaccurate?

• brianpperkins
    Options

i should have said refined sugar, i am not referring to naturally ocurring sugars that are found in fruit or just about any other whole food. please explain how this is inaccurate?

Fructose is fructose, glucose is glucose, lactose is lactose, sucrose is sucrose ... chemically identical no matter the source and processed identically by the body no matter the source. Claiming that sugar from source X is fine while from source Y is poison is false.
  • chrissypj88
    chrissypj88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree besides natural sugars the others are evil and addictive unfortunately
  • brianpperkins
    Options

How is an identical chemical fine in one source but poisonous and addictive from another?
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

Fructose is fructose, glucose is glucose, lactose is lactose, sucrose is sucrose ... chemically identical no matter the source and processed identically by the body no matter the source. Claiming that sugar from source X is fine while from source Y is poison is false.

sugars that occur naturally do not occur alone, they are found in foods that have protein and fibre in them which affect the way the sugar is metabolised - they slow the absorption down so the body can react efficiently. refined sugar comes with no such buffers, and spike insulin quickly - unnatural and very harmful. they might chemically be the same, but they are processed differently in the body.

• chrissypj88
    chrissypj88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

How is an identical chemical fine in one source but poisonous and addictive from another?

Slow and steady and put it so not replying
  • brianpperkins
    Options

sugars that occur naturally do not occur alone, they are found in foods that have protein and fibre in them which affect the way the sugar is metabolised - they slow the absorption down so the body can react efficiently. refined sugar comes with no such buffers, and spike insulin quickly - unnatural and very harmful. they might chemically be the same, but they are processed differently in the body.

All I can do is shake my head and hope you learn how to vet sources. Believing pseudo-documentaries is bad enough ... spreading their misconceptions requires people take their valuable time to correct you.

Protein spikes insulin without refined sugar present. So much for that flawed position.
    Refined sugars are in fact natural coming from these things called plants. There goes another misstatement from you.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Slow and steady and put it so not replying

You did reply while failing to answer. He was/is wrong.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

All I can do is shake my head and hope you learn how to vet sources. Believing pseudo-documentaries is bad enough ... spreading their misconceptions requires people take their valuable time to correct you.

Protein spikes insulin without refined sugar present. So much for that flawed position.
    Refined sugars are in fact natural coming from these things called plants. There goes another misstatement from you.

they are called refined because they go through a process of refining - it comes from plants but it is then processed, hence the name. it does not just come straight from the plant without processing involved that strips it down to its basic molecule.

protein slows the absorption of sugar down in the body - fact.

if you think that refined sugar is anything but bad for our health, you are the one spreading some dangerous misconceptions.

• brianpperkins
    edited February 2016
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

The blog actually blames obesity, not the sugars directly. Again, science matters. Even the WHO's logic for limiting refined sugars isn't because they are inherently bad it is because of the caloric impact.