2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    So very little. I would recommend a blood test if you think you are anaemic
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    So very little. I would recommend a blood test if you think you are anaemic

I didn't say I thought I was anemic. Just noted a change in energy levels when adding a multivitamin that includes iron.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    I was diagnosed in December with anemia from a routine blood test. In the previous blood test (April), I was completely normal. The doctor sent me for a blood transfusion the day I was diagnosed. I felt SOOOoo much better soon thereafter. She has had me tested for many things (bleeding in colon, bleeding in GI tract) and has prescribed iron pills, which have slowly started to work. It is great that they are starting to work, but I would really like to find out why I had this sudden problem. Can you "get" Celiac's disease when you are 51? She is a great doctor and continuing to test, so I will eventually find out...I hope. :) But again, that blood transfusion was AMAZING, FWIW.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    I have dealt with significant anemia a couple of times. This last time, my hemoglobin was around 8, and I felt awful. I was exhausted, short of breath, and had no drive to do anything. Iron pills brought it up, and I am doing much better. It's amazing how iron can affect you so much!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Try vitamin b. I took injections for years to keep my fertin up. If not that then you can recirve IV infusions at the hospital which are amazing.
  • singingflutelady
    I was diagnosed in December with anemia from a routine blood test. In the previous blood test (April), I was completely normal. The doctor sent me for a blood transfusion the day I was diagnosed. I felt SOOOoo much better soon thereafter. She has had me tested for many things (bleeding in colon, bleeding in GI tract) and has prescribed iron pills, which have slowly started to work. It is great that they are starting to work, but I would really like to find out why I had this sudden problem. Can you "get" Celiac's disease when you are 51? She is a great doctor and continuing to test, so I will eventually find out...I hope. :) But again, that blood transfusion was AMAZING, FWIW.

Yes you can get it at any age. And I agree about blood. I had 8 iron infusions and felt nothing but had 5 units of blood last year and felt much better for a while after each one.
  • singingflutelady
    I was diagnosed with my autoimmune disease (Crohn's) at 38 (but had it for years before misdiagnosed as IBS). Autoimmune diseases can rear their ugly head at any time.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Can you "get" Celiac's disease when you are 51? She is a great doctor and continuing to test, so I will eventually find out...I hope. :)

Yeah, you can. About 1/3 the population has the genes for celiac disease, just hanging around. We are considered to 'have' celiac disease when something triggers in the body (and we don't know why it triggers) and suddenly it changes how the body treats gluten. It can trigger at any age from a few weeks old to 100 and some years old.

But a few things -
    1. You have to be eating gluten, at least 1-2 slices of bread a day or the equivalent, for a few weeks before the blood tests and/or endoscopy tests. The tests are actually much cruder than you'd think - they look for levels of biomarkers that your body is reacting to gluten, and you don't MAKE the biomarkers if you stop eating gluten. on top of that, the tests require high levels, weeks of accumulated reaction, to detect properly, which is why you have to be eating gluten a lot when being tested. At this point, celiacs who are on their gluten free diet actually test negative to the disease with the tests we have, because they are no longer reacting.

2. IF you have the disease, the experts recommend that every, single person in your family get tested too, ASAP (most GI docs are NOT experts and rarely seem to be aware of this, sadly). This is because the risks of having it trigger are much higher if it's known you have the genetics in the family, the disease can be active for years, and doing damage, before any symptoms show up. And as it can trigger at any age, it's recommended that after a negative test, family members get retested every 2-5 years.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Could be. Ive been taking a multivitamin as well but obviously it wasn't doing anything for me. Just grateful I caught this all in time before my ferritin levels went even lower.

One thing to think about, from someone who has been in a similar situation: I would sincerely suggest you take a look at your diet (and by look, I mean look at the nutrients you get from it on a daily/weekly basis), and your multivitamin, and see what your iron intake has been recently. If you aren't sure what you usually eat, a quick food journal for a couple weeks can help you keep track (if it tracks amounts AND food) and then you can go over it and work out how much iron you usually get, you know?

If it's been super, super low, then of course it's obvious why you are low in iron. You add more to your diet, it goes up, and it's all good.

But if it has NOT been super low? IMHO, you should start checking things out.

If you are like most people I know with vitamin deficiency, your doctor has NOT asked you what your diet has been before this. Best I can tell, they just seem to assume automatically that you are not getting enough of the vitamin and give you a prescription of a vitamin supplement. Without actually asking anything about your diet to confirm their assumption. Which is, well, rather stupid, when you think of it, as making a diagnosis OR a medical recommendation based on an unverified assumption (that could be easily verified) is not really in your best interest, you know?

Because if you ARE eating enough of the nutrient, then that means something else is going on that is causing you to be low in this nutrient, but because they never found OUT if you are eating enough of the nutrient, you get to go for longer with the problem still present before it's obvious there is still a problem.

If you DO find you are still low, seriously, I would check your family medical history and see if anything in there can cause low iron levels (in my own history, I had celiac disease in the family, and that was causing low iron in both myself and my daughter. Doctors never had a clue; we had to suggest being tested to them, in the end). If you have any quirky symptoms (like insomnia, aching joints, stomach pain, things like that), you can google them along with iron anemia to see if they match any known conditions. And then go to the doctor and ask about what could cause the problem, because if it's not what you eat, then SOMETHING is going on that is causing this, and I imagine you'd want to know what, yeah?

The reason I mention researching beforehand is because doctors sometimes don't pay attention to your family medical history and might miss a connection there. And also that sometimes, we don't mention symptoms because we don't think they are a big deal, when sometimes they are important and relevant to the nutrient deficiency and the doctor needs to know about them. Research ahead of time can help us determine better that we need to mention some symptoms, you know?

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    shaumom wrote: »
    Can you "get" Celiac's disease when you are 51? She is a great doctor and continuing to test, so I will eventually find out...I hope. :)

Yeah, you can. About 1/3 the population has the genes for celiac disease, just hanging around. We are considered to 'have' celiac disease when something triggers in the body (and we don't know why it triggers) and suddenly it changes how the body treats gluten. It can trigger at any age from a few weeks old to 100 and some years old.

But a few things -
    1. You have to be eating gluten, at least 1-2 slices of bread a day or the equivalent, for a few weeks before the blood tests and/or endoscopy tests. The tests are actually much cruder than you'd think - they look for levels of biomarkers that your body is reacting to gluten, and you don't MAKE the biomarkers if you stop eating gluten. on top of that, the tests require high levels, weeks of accumulated reaction, to detect properly, which is why you have to be eating gluten a lot when being tested. At this point, celiacs who are on their gluten free diet actually test negative to the disease with the tests we have, because they are no longer reacting.

2. IF you have the disease, the experts recommend that every, single person in your family get tested too, ASAP (most GI docs are NOT experts and rarely seem to be aware of this, sadly). This is because the risks of having it trigger are much higher if it's known you have the genetics in the family, the disease can be active for years, and doing damage, before any symptoms show up. And as it can trigger at any age, it's recommended that after a negative test, family members get retested every 2-5 years.
    I think for people with low iron, celiac disease is more likely. From my understanding, iron levels are usually low in people with celiac due to nutrient absorption issues. While I once wondered whether I could have celiac due to symptoms of IBS, I think I can rule it out since my iron levels are certainly not low (and were actually a bit too high at one point).
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Thanks for all your posts!!

I looked over my diary at the nutrients and found on average I was getting 50% a day before taking supplements. Starting tomorrow I go up to 900mg a day until mid to end of march.

So far being on the 600mg a day has helped and I'm not suffering any of the side effects too mich of taking higher levels of it.

When I see my doctor next I will discuss with him about Celiac's disease. This is the 2nd time I've been diagnosed with anemia so now I'd like to get down to the cause of it. It'll be a long process but I'm cool with that.

• HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Thanks for all the information!! I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, I am going to ask her about Celiac.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Thanks for all the information!! I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, I am going to ask her about Celiac.

Let me know how it goes!