A "situation" in the gym - how would you handle it?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Nobody should train on a smith-machine. It is more dangerous to the knees than a mean trainer.

Off topic, but can someone point me in the direction of the orthopedic surgeon who has his waiting room all filled up with limping Smith Machine injury cases?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Nobody should train on a smith-machine. It is more dangerous to the knees than a mean trainer.

Off topic, but can someone point me in the direction of the orthopedic surgeon who has his waiting room all filled up with limping Smith Machine injury cases?

I suspect it's a case of BroDoctrine more than anything else. Some myths are immortal.

It is known.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Oh by the way, leave a poor yelp review and that will make them run to fix it.

So hurt business for the gym as a whole instead of taking care of the problem like an adult. Good idea.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    If they don't want bad reviews they should enforce their policies. Leaving an honest review isn't exactly childish.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    sounds super frustrating. he actually disrespected you first with the whole "it weighs a tampon" nonsense. i would just keep asking him to clean up after himself. if he refuses, tell him his behavior as trainer is really unprofessional. say this in front of his client. and then proceed to clean up yourself. he will soon tire of his clients hearing how unprofessional he is. hopefully...good luck. sounds super frustrating...
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    I think you two need to hug it out.

There was no need to raise your voice at him. And he needs to work on his gym etiquette. I've seen these confrontations in the gym many a time and it makes me uncomfortable to see adults behave in this manner. I believe taking the high road is always the best option. I mean, we're talking about re-racking weights here... it's not exactly a civil rights violation. Heck, I don't mind getting in a little extra work. If someone wants to be lazy, that's on them. Gives me the chance to be the shining example in this world. I'll show you how to re-rack these plates, son.

Sorry dude but you need to grow a pair. If you want to be passive that's your right.
    I hope he was embarrassed. He deserved it. Clearly this guy is selfish and arrogant. One thing I won't tolerate is rude and inconsiderate behavior in the gym. That's the trouble with ppl today and not just in the gym, they don't care about others. If I can re-rack my weights and wipe down the equipment then so can everyone else. And letting it continue w/o being approached is wrong.
    To the OP, good on you for calling his *kitten* out. I would have, and have done the same thing.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2016
    He's being unprofessional by his conduct & attitude, as well as setting a bad example for his clients & other members.
    After seeing the problem for a long time,
    and saying something to him about it,
    and him getting nasty,
    I would have gone to the manager.
    Swearing at him definitely did not help the situation.

If the manager on duty can't handle the problem,
    talk with the actual manager,
    then talk with the owner or HQ.

ETA: +1 to using social media, as well as contacting his certifying organization (if he is certified)
    How about video? Of course, if they have 'security' cameras, they'll have their own proof, but for
    social media, public shaming of the idiot, or lasting documentation (no "oops, we deleted it"), you
    should have your own, preferably a bunch taken on different days.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I disagree. It's great for inverted rows and hanging blast straps from to do suspended pushups.

Frees the squat rack.

I also use it for shrugs

at my old gym- i use it to sit on between reps- but now they keep the smith over by the free weights and its no where near the squat racks- now I have to sit on the safety rails.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    vczk2t15 wrote: »
    tell management every single day he leaves equipment out and ask them to put it back for you to use. They'll get tired of racking his weights and then they'll do something more effective than hanging more signs

THIS

Yep. I would ask the person "working"

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2016
    @JoRocka At my gym they have a power lifting corner with a rack and a squat/ bench press stand and platform. In the free weight section there is a squat cage and right beside it is a Smith machine. I usually use the cage for all my lifts other than accessories so I can hang out in the Smith machine though it is being used a lot by newbies squatting and benching so there goes my resting place. There is a cable machine right behind the cage so I now sit on the lat pulldown seat if no one is using it lol
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Wadayaknow! I still have the membership and the trainer promptly re-racks his and his clients weights....
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Here are some other avenues you can pursue:

3) Start greeting him casually as "Kotex". As time goes by you can start using just "Kotes".

This! Right in front of his client. Each and every time you see him. Bonus points if you do it in front of others and they start using it.

Here's an example. :smiley:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382414/Black-woman-s-story-got-revenge-white-worker-refused-learn-hood-black-girl-names-sound-takes-Twitter-storm.html
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    edited February 2016
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    You guys should really be training at Planet Fitness. No lunks AND free pizza ;-)

+1 I like fat grannies better than roid heads. :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh by the way, leave a poor yelp review and that will make them run to fix it.

So hurt business for the gym as a whole instead of taking care of the problem like an adult. Good idea.

I'm actually on board with this one. If the OP notified management and management refused to directly address the problem with their employee (or independent contractor) then it falls back on them. If it gets solved quickly the OP can update their review.

If he hadn't spoken to the people at the desk already I would agree with you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    The main problem, OP, is you left it so long before saying anything. By the time you manned up and said something the resentment and ill feeling had built within you. This meant that the situation was emotionally charged beyond what it would have been if you'd have just plainly said it the first time you'd seen it and taken the emotion out of it. It also meant that you'd allowed the deviant pattern of behaviour to establish itself because you'd given it room and time to grow.

I would have said (the first time I saw him do it) "dude, you're new here, so you probably don't know any better. But the rule here is we rerack our *kitten* when we've finished with it. Now you know the rule, I don't suppose you'll have any problem sticking to it?"

No emotion. Just a statement of fact. The first time I saw it. People who progressively get their panties in a bunch and then have to have a big emotional meltdown about it somewhere down the road make life difficult for themselves. Don't like something? Call it when you see it.

This is probably not going to fit in with the kumbaya MFP vibe, where we're all here to support each other and everything is always someone else's fault: but you don't like something? Change it. That change is difficult and filled with friction? Probably means it's worthwhile.

/rant
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    JayDam1 wrote: »
    Go to unload the weight the trainer leaves behind, and "drop" a plate on your foot. Wouldn't have happen if the manager would have enforced the rules... So, file lawsuit, and own the gym and make your own rules... lol

Way to think outside the box!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    If you want to press the issue, I would find out what organization he received his personal trainer certification through and report him (I'm sure he hands out cards or has his information posted in the gym). Part of being a certified PT is positively representing the profession and practicing good etiquette in front of clients, which includes being polite, wiping down equipment, and returning the equipment and weights to their proper places.

Receiving a phone call or letter from his PT company following up on a complaint would likely be a big wake-up call.

this would be the biggest waste of time that ever did waste time
    Yep. All a cert confirms is that one passed a basic test understanding the basics of training. Kinda like getting a HS diploma. It DOESN'T mean that whomever you got it from is responsible to enforce that the PT has to clean up after instruction. That's just basic etiquette.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    The main problem, OP, is you left it so long before saying anything. By the time you manned up and said something the resentment and ill feeling had built within you. This meant that the situation was emotionally charged beyond what it would have been if you'd have just plainly said it the first time you'd seen it and taken the emotion out of it. It also meant that you'd allowed the deviant pattern of behaviour to establish itself because you'd given it room and time to grow.

I would have said (the first time I saw him do it) "dude, you're new here, so you probably don't know any better. But the rule here is we rerack our *kitten* when we've finished with it. Now you know the rule, I don't suppose you'll have any problem sticking to it?"

No emotion. Just a statement of fact. The first time I saw it. People who progressively get their panties in a bunch and then have to have a big emotional meltdown about it somewhere down the road make life difficult for themselves. Don't like something? Call it when you see it.

This is probably not going to fit in with the kumbaya MFP vibe, where we're all here to support each other and everything is always someone else's fault: but you don't like something? Change it. That change is difficult and filled with friction? Probably means it's worthwhile.

/rant
    This.

There was a dude who would load up ~800lbs. on the leg press, then quarter rep it out, jump up and wander off at my old gym. The first time I saw him do it, I figured he was coming back and shrugged it off. The second time, I needed the machine and realized this was just a thing he does. I said "Hey, do you mind stripping that when you're done using it? That's a lot of plates." Was I pandering to his ego a little? Sure. Did it get the job done? Yep. He re-racked his crap and never left more than two plates per side when he was done with the thing again.

• rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »

/rant

I'm genuinely curious: How would you know that first time you witnessed it wasn't an anomaly? If someone came over and told me what to do with my "*kitten*", especially if I had just made a mistake out of line with my typical behavior, I would likely feel fairly defensive. You need to know there is a history to know there is actually a problem, yes? And why would it be a paying customer's responsibility to fix an employee/contractor's "deviant pattern of behaviour"? If I were doing my job poorly, my boss would be the right person to address it, my job would probably be on the line, and the customer would be offered an apology. It's just good business.

I'm all for being the change you want to see, but I'm unclear on how it would be appropriate in this case.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    How would you know who's "new here", too? I think most people would consider that offensive, from another gym-goer.