A "situation" in the gym - how would you handle it?

Options

Replies

• kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Kindness kills. All you need to do is say "hey bud, please re-rack your equipment, -and your triceps are lookin' top notch! Keep it up man!" -end of story. Trainer says 'Thanks bruh" and re-racks. DONE. :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I hear you... there is a guy at my gym who loads like 200KG on the leg press every.single.day... he can barely press that much and he has awful form btw.... And then walks away. He does this with every piece of equipment in there. So annoying. And he sweats like a dog and leaves a trail of sweaty disgustingness behind him. He wipes down with a paper towel, but never uses the disinfectant spray that is provided.

I haven't found the words yet....
    You up to him and say "I'd like to use the leg press, but can't lift off all those weights by myself."
    I do it every day with guys who do this crap. They'd be annoyed if their mother, wife or sister had to unload it to workout and that's how you have to put it across to him.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'd like to think this is not a sexist comment

right? cause im stronger than my ex, equally as strong as my best friend (male), and well, my boyfriend is stronger than me but weights are his thing. LOLOL

and i clean up after myself ;)

keep going to the gym manager and i would get in touch with the owner. it's absolutely uncalled for.

or, find a new gym ..
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Accidently drop a handful of tampons on the floor where he is between his sets. If he says anything, reply you thought he was done and tell him they don't weigh much.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You did good, and yes, he should be barred from the gym. He's setting a bad example for every one else.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Gym etiquette is gym etiquette and as a trainer the guy should be setting an example of how to behave in an enclosed space where access to resources have been paid for and are equally available to all.

Posters/notes are for the passive aggressive. I'd attempt to escalate to the gym owner, if nothing else just to let them know why you're going to start using another gym.

If you want to be more confrontational about it you could just call him out on it every single time he does it, from anywhere in the gym.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If an employee or trainer had said that to me at my gym, I wouldn't have bothered replying, but would have gone straight to the centre manager to report a violation of the diversity policy. The use of the word tampon was clearly aimed to denigrate women, and shouldn't be tolerated.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    tell management every single day he leaves equipment out and ask them to put it back for you to use. They'll get tired of racking his weights and then they'll do something more effective than hanging more signs

THIS
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    After that I'd have gone straight to the manager with the sexism/bullying card....he was well out of order and then was bullying....bet if you were a 6' meat head he wouldn't have been such a prick.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    There was a guy who went to my old gym who (along with pretty much everyone else there) never re-racked his weights. When he had walked away from the leg press leaving it fully loaded up, I approached him and asked if he was done with it. When he replied he was, I said "I'll help you re-rack the weights". He took the one side and I took the other. I am not sure it clicked for him, but maybe deep down it made him think/remember.

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Accidently drop a handful of tampons on the floor where he is between his sets. If he says anything, reply you thought he was done and tell him they don't weigh much.

Hahahaha that would be amazing. Seriously. Please do this. Please.

But, if you don't want to do that, I'd go to management a few more times and then I'd demand to speak to the manager. You say that you think if they had to get rid of someone it would be you, but I would disagree. This trainer probably does this to numerous people. So the trainer brings in some new people, some may become regulars, most will end up paying for a few months and being gone. If the PT forces out regulars because they are annoyed with his crap then the gym loses out on the monthly revenue from numerous long time clients. Not to mention he's instilling crap etiquette in new members. If I was an owner/manager I'd get that crap dealt with ASAP and if I had to I would ban the PT from my gym, I'm sure the owner could find a new PT.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I ask him, like the last time, if he was done, he said "yes", and I again like the last time I ask him to re-rack. To which he replies "It weighs like a tampon, you take it off".

What would've you done?

He seriously said that? He needs to crawl back under the rock that he emerged from in the first place!

I'd pull every string I had to have him permanently removed from a place that you are a paying customer. Contact not only the manager(s), but also the owner. Nobody wants somebody like that working for their organization.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    2) accept that nobody, ever, needs to use a Smith machine :)

:smile: agree that SM is not free weights but isolation equipment and not substitution for barbell or dumbbell bench, which many do, but it has its place and purpose

Cherimoose wrote: »
    If i'm going to confront someone, i wait until i have a solid case, like you did with the barbell. I wouldn't ask to rerack light plates, because that just looks like i'm going around antagonizing him over every little thing he does wrong.

But what ticked me is not the weight - the behaviour.

Chieflrg wrote: »

I like thisidea!!!! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I ask him, like the last time, if he was done, he said "yes", and I again like the last time I ask him to re-rack. To which he replies "It weighs like a tampon, you take it off".

What would've you done?

He seriously said that? He needs to crawl back under the rock that he emerged from in the first place!

I'd pull every string I had to have him permanently removed from a place that you are a paying customer. Contact not only the manager(s), but also the owner. Nobody wants somebody like that working for their organization.

I seriously hope you intended this pun.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

What would've you done?

I seriously hope you intended this pun.

:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley: ROTFLMFAO
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You lost me at "Smith Machine" :P
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If an employee or trainer had said that to me at my gym, I wouldn't have bothered replying, but would have gone straight to the centre manager to report a violation of the diversity policy. The use of the word tampon was clearly aimed to denigrate women, and shouldn't be tolerated.

What diversity policy?

I mean I agree with it being a poor comment but I've never been in a gym that had an actual posted diversity policy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've calld some REALLY big dudes out on this... and it usually is a giant announcement like this

<pulls 45 off the bar> drops it loudly
    pulls nother 45 off the bar- drop that on top of the plate...

and then make a HUGE announcement
    "HEY DON"T WORRY I GOT THIS I SEE YOU'RE REALLY BUSY WITH YOUR CLIENT- but DON'T YOU WORRY_ I"LL CLEAN UP AFTER YOU AND YOU"RE CLIENT"

I publicly shame people CONSTANTLY. It's effing annoying as hell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also- " if it's so light then you shouldn't have a problem putting it away"

PS you are teaching your client bad gym etiquette.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Tbh sounds like he had / has everything done for him
    He also sounds like he's shocked you asked
    Some people are plain lazy & simply believe it's beyond themselves to pick up and tidy
  • e5412
    e5412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Seems to me, he is the clients Bit*h, so he should be responsible for re-racking their weights. He of all people should understand gym etiquette. The gym owner doesn't want to kick him out because that dude brings people in. I think I'd show up 5 minutes early and make sure he knows what it's like.