A "situation" in the gym - how would you handle it?

Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I've calld some REALLY big dudes out on this... and it usually is a giant announcement like this

<pulls 45 off the bar> drops it loudly
    pulls nother 45 off the bar- drop that on top of the plate...

and then make a HUGE announcement
    "HEY DON"T WORRY I GOT THIS I SEE YOU'RE REALLY BUSY WITH YOUR CLIENT- but DON'T YOU WORRY_ I"LL CLEAN UP AFTER YOU AND YOU"RE CLIENT"

I publicly shame people CONSTANTLY. It's effing annoying as hell.

I knew you'd have the best response to this.
    The DB trainer sounds like he needs a hint applied with a sledgehammer. Shaming the lunkhead is likely your only solution.
  • KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I hate those guys at the gym. Always the same couple of dudes too. Normally, I would just re-rack after them and not say anything but now that I'm 5 months preggo, hell no, I don't think so. So now I actually waddle over there and politely tell them to re-rack with my big preggo belly and hopefully let the shame take over.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Failure to re-rack gets you tossed at my gym if someone complains and staff can go back and watch surveillance of you doing it more than that one time. If so. #boot
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    FIrst off, the trainer is out of line and should be clearing up his own stuff. The tampon comment is uncalled for. That being said, I kinda think you stooped to his level by calling him a b*tch.

But, you can't undo it. so you just move one. Continue to make it clear to this trainer that you don't appreciate his douchery, but be netural about it. Contintue to speak to management/owner and tell them that if this continues, you will be looking for a new gym.

It sucks that people can't just be considerate. But, we can only control ourselves and our own reactions.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    tell him to go blank himself and let management know. he's got hella balls saying something "weighs as much as a tampon" and then asking for an apology for ANYTHING that comes after that comment.

tell management every single day he leaves equipment out and ask them to put it back for you to use. They'll get tired of racking his weights and then they'll do something more effective than hanging more signs

Great course of action.

Some of the trainers where I go are some of the biggest douches. We have a 30 yd path of field turf to push a prowler sled. Trainers will set someone up to do floor exercises in the middle of it when there is empty space 4 feet to either side.
  • KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    Failure to re-rack gets you tossed at my gym if someone complains and staff can go back and watch surveillance of you doing it more than that one time. If so. #boot

Your gym sounds amazing
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ashleyylo wrote: »
    FIrst off, the trainer is out of line and should be clearing up his own stuff. The tampon comment is uncalled for. That being said, I kinda think you stooped to his level by calling him a b*tch.

But, you can't undo it. so you just move one. Continue to make it clear to this trainer that you don't appreciate his douchery, but be netural about it. Contintue to speak to management/owner and tell them that if this continues, you will be looking for a new gym.

It sucks that people can't just be considerate. But, we can only control ourselves and our own reactions.

"I kinda think you stooped to his level by calling him a b*tch" - yeah. I know! I feel damn terrible about it! Cant stop thinking about it.

"But, you can't undo it. so you just move one. Continue to make it clear to this trainer that you don't appreciate his douchery, but be netural about it" - that's what I'm planning to do - move on. I'm planning not to address this guy and just communicate only with management from now on
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Take as many of his weight that he left on the bar and walk them down to the manager's office and drop them off and let the manager re-rack the weights.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    Take as many of his weight that he left on the bar and walk them down to the manager's office and drop them off and let the manager re-rack the weights.

Ha, I like that.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    ashleyylo wrote: »

"I kinda think you stooped to his level by calling him a b*tch" - yeah. I know! I feel damn terrible about it! Cant stop thinking about it.

"But, you can't undo it. so you just move one. Continue to make it clear to this trainer that you don't appreciate his douchery, but be netural about it" - that's what I'm planning to do - move on. I'm planning not to address this guy and just communicate only with management from now on

Pfft. You're much too mature for this site.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just don't be like him. Some people never learn.

We are privileged to have such amazing facilities available to us. Especially here in North America (my location). So I always re rack and clean my equipment.

I've had something similar happen here. I live in a condo with its own private gym. So a lot of amateurs come into the gym and make a big mess then leave as if this is their dad's gym.

Eventually and I guarantee this, it leads to damaged equipment. I've noticed scuffs on the walls, cracked mirrors, malfunctioning treadmills to name a few things.

So just like in the big picture of life there are people that are incapable of common sense or even courtesy for that matter.

DON'T BE THAT GUY.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Here are some other avenues you can pursue:

1) Buy some tampons in bulk from Amazon. Break into his car and fill it to the gills with tampons.

2) Next time he doesn't re-rack, take the lightest plate off and then say "Hey! Let's play some frisbee!" and then fling it as hard as you can at him.

3) Start greeting him casually as "Kotex". As time goes by you can start using just "Kotes".

• alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing...i mean he is an employee there so he knows better to re rack after use as for an appology tell him to go f*** himself
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should have confronted him.
    I think yo should have talked to management then I would leave the gym.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    call him out on it every day. dude sounds like an *kitten*
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    OP, I probably would have done similar to what you did mainly because this isn't just some random dude at the gym; he's supposed to be a qualified, personal trainer. What a terrible example he's setting for his clients and by not teaching them gym etiquette he's seriously slacking in his job. Makes me question whether he knows anything about training and lifting. Gym etiquette is basically Training 101. If he doesn't know that, then he probably doesn't know much at all.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You guys should really be training at Planet Fitness. No lunks AND free pizza ;-)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Here are some other avenues you can pursue:

1) Buy some tampons in bulk from Amazon. Break into his car and fill it to the gills with tampons.

2) Next time he doesn't re-rack, take the lightest plate off and then say "Hey! Let's play some frisbee!" and then fling it as hard as you can at him.

3) Start greeting him casually as "Kotex". As time goes by you can start using just "Kotes".

Love!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    "I'm sorry, were these too heavy for you? Did you need me to re-rack them?"