Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carbs at night/before inactivity?

cgchow
cgchow Posts: 10 Member
It's a classic question that's always being debated, it seems! What are your thoughts: substantial amount of carbs at night -- good or bad? (Obviously there'll be a difference depending on how much is 'substantial' and if they're complex or simple... But let's hear it!)

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Neutral
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Doesn't matter. CI<CO. Your metabolism is perfectly capable of processing carbs whether you're active, inactive, awake or asleep.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Eating (anything, not just carbs), before bed might make it harder for you to sleep. That's all.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Whether its carbs or other, I personally sleep better if I stop eating at minimum 2hrs before going to sleep. If I find if I eat then go to bed soon after, 90% of the time I have to wake up and go to the bathroom, interrupting my sleep.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Does not matter one bit for anything....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    The only thing that matters (barring a medical issue) is whether or not it fit into your calorie budget for the day - not when you ate it. Night time is no different. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    cgchow wrote: »
    It's a classic question that's always being debated, it seems! What are your thoughts: substantial amount of carbs at night -- good or bad? (Obviously there'll be a difference depending on how much is 'substantial' and if they're complex or simple... But let's hear it!)

actually this has been proven to be a myth and is not a classic question at all ...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Makes no difference unless eating before bed interferes with your sleep.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I am more likely to have my carbs at night than during the day. They seem to help with sleep sometimes.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    As far as I can tell, it's neither good nor bad for a majority of people. I can have garlic toast and go to bed with no issues. However, some people have medical issues that make it a bad idea, like chronic acid reflux. And in that case, it's not carbs but really anything within a certain time period before sleeping.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, it's neither good nor bad for a majority of people. I can have garlic toast and go to bed with no issues. However, some people have medical issues that make it a bad idea, like chronic acid reflux. And in that case, it's not carbs but really anything within a certain time period before sleeping.

Came here to say this. It only matters if you have some type of a reflux that flares up when you lie down at night. It doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Neither good nor bad.
    Only time I worry about carb timing is when I'm cycling 4+ hours and I don't do that at night.

Carbs late at night would tend to help me sleep.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I ate a huge meal the other night right before bed, it was the worst feeling ever! All I wanted to do was get up and walk, walk it off or something. I usually stop eating a few hours before bed. Carb heavy or not, not a good idea for me.
    sorry, didn't answer your question, but I think you've got all the answers you need from the above posters.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Just a personal preference. I can't really sleep with full stomach (no matter what food it is). I do know some people who can't fall asleep without eating.
    You should do what makes you feel good, there is no scientifically better way to do it.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    My own personal preference: I'm hungry in the mornings, so eat several small meals throughout the day. I eat dinner around 6 p.m. and never eat again after that, because I'm simply not hungry. But regardless, I don't think it matters at all, as long as you are in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. Won't matter when you eat, or when you eat carbs in particular.
  • KeithCornick
    KeithCornick Posts: 3 Member
    For myself personally while away at work my last meal before bed consists of a fair amount of carbs because I train early in the morning on an empty stomach. Found adding carbs to the last meal helped me significantly with energy and strength during my morning workouts. If I was to train later in the day I would avoid carbs during my last meal.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Nothing after 6pm for me. Night snacking was an issue, especially with the carbs. I sleep so much better now and my digestive issues hardly bother me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I woud say it depends on cravings and medical issues.

If carbs increase your appetite or cravings then saving it for later in the day might help with that.

If you have insulin resistance then having carbs ate in the day, without exercise, could be a problem for blood glucose levels in the morning. Carbs in the evening affects my FBG.