So disappointed

Options
Hiya, I'm so so upset. I've been 300 to 500 calories under my allowance everyday this week. I've been brutally honest with all my food otherwise there is no point and your only cheating yourself. I've done w2 d3 and w3 d1 on c25k and also a 4K walk. Jumped on the scales today and not one pound lost. I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In one week it's possible for the +/- 2 lb random variations in body weight to hide a 1 lb or even a 2 lb weight loss, so you may just need to wait a bit.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Your not eating enough your body will retain if it thinks your not eating enough also if you lose fat the muscles can fill with water so drink 8 glasses a day to flush out retained water
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is a long term commitment. As Yarwell says, the body fluctuates by several pounds. However, it is also possible that you are over estimating the calories you need, or over estimating the calories you are using in exercise.

Watch it for four weeks and if there is still no change you should adjust your calories.

This is not a race...you have embarked on a permanent change to how you live!

Good luck,
    R
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Your not eating enough your body will retain if it thinks your not eating enough also if you lose fat the muscles can fill with water so drink 8 glasses a day to flush out retained water

False. The body does not retain weight if you don't eat enough. This is implying the "Starvation Mode" that so many people love to reference actually exists and it does not.

OP, it has been one week. There are a multitude of factors that can make you retain water weight. A high sodium meal, your time of the month, muscle repair, level of hydration; the list goes on. Give it another week or two and reassess. If you don't lose any weight you're either underestimating your food intake or overestimating your calorie burns if you're eating your exercise calories back.
  • katy_2810
    katy_2810 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends if you are already a healthy weight for your height as well. If you are heavy then it is easier to lose weight because your body consumes more calories at rest.

I am coming to the end of my 6th week and I had lost 19 pounds (9 of which were after one week) but I was 14 stone 9 pounds after Christmas! It was weight that was never supposed to be on my body and a lot of it was probably water weight as well. The water weight comes from your body using glycogen stores which releases water as well (worth a Google if you're interested ).

Don't give up - try doing HIIT training and weight lifting as that will burn fat even at rest and you then need more calories for the muscles to repair which makes you stronger and toned.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    HazelPaddy wrote: »
    Hiya, I'm so so upset. I've been 300 to 500 calories under my allowance everyday this week. I've been brutally honest with all my food otherwise there is no point and your only cheating yourself. I've done w2 d3 and w3 d1 on c25k and also a 4K walk. Jumped on the scales today and not one pound lost. I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me

I feel you, I was faithful on documenting addl my food and stayed at my goal, worked out3times this week and nothing! Everyone has great advice but I am just as frustrated as you.

Now my pity party is over I will take everyone's advice and get back at it.
  • jtringl
    jtringl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you first start working out, you may even gain a bit. Give your body time to settle and you will start to see it come off in a few weeks. Stick with it girlie. You are doing awesome!
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The day after I work out I often weigh the same or gain. Keep at it! :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Courtesy of @lemonlionheart :

dzxiq1d1adp8.jpg
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It's way too soon to see any change. For example, my weight drops only after 2 weeks usually. It will hold steady or even go up a pound or so, and then suddenly overnight I'll drop 1.4 pounds.

Weight loss isn't linear. It's the overall downward trend you want to see.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough, you won't lose weight. You are harming your body by not giving it proper nutrition and then over exercising.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough, you won't lose weight. You are harming your body by not giving it proper nutrition and then over exercising.

This is myth
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

Hi
    Here is one possibility, If You have been exercising more than before You could be turning fat into muscle. Muscle is denser than fat. One metric for weight loss is what the scale shows, Or measurements. I have had weeks where the scale did not drop but the waistline shrank. I'll take a smaller waist and be happy.

As has been said this is a slow long term process. A quick loss will generally be followed by a gain when the reason for the quick loss is removed.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »

OP this is wrong
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Do you take measurements? I haven't lost that much weight, but have lost a lot of inches from exercise. It makes me feel better to see those results rather than none at all.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

Hi
    Here is one possibility, If You have been exercising more than before You could be turning fat into muscle. Muscle is denser than fat. One metric for weight loss is what the scale shows, Or measurements. I have had weeks where the scale did not drop but the waistline shrank. I'll take a smaller waist and be happy.

As has been said this is a slow long term process. A quick loss will generally be followed by a gain when the reason for the quick loss is removed.

Good Luck
    Roger

Nope. OP will not gain muscle in a calorie deficit. Even if they were miscalculating their calorie intake and eating at a surplus, they would not gain enough muscle in one week to show up on the scale, they wouldn't be gaining that muscle from cardio especially from week 2 and 3 of C25K and a 4K walk, and they wouldn't be gaining muscle that quickly especially as a woman.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

Hi

Good Luck
    Roger

Doubt she's gained any muscle. 99% of women have to eat in excess and lift heavy weights over and over and over to gain even tiny amounts of the stuff.
    Most likely her fat cells are yet to release the water they've replaced the fat with, and that she's holding water for muscle repair after the exercise. Hormones are also responsible for slow digestion and water retention.

Women it's best to have the patience of a saint, expect a 6 week lag and ignore weight two weeks before TOM.

I assume she's got her numbers right and is weighing every morsel, though sometimes this usually ends up being the culprit.
  • HazelPaddy
    HazelPaddy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input. My calories are calculated on this app by my current weight. I barcode scan all food and drink via this app.

So pity party over, yes like a child I did hide and cry under the duvet for an hour!!!!

Onwards, upwards and feet on the ground out there and doing it.

I could so easily take the path of least resistance and have my gastric band made tighter, this means the pounds drop quickly but I feel weak and exhausted from so little food.

Psychologically I've choosen the harder path, but I know it's the healthy path for me.