Calories in chicken legs - How does the bone factor in?

Options
If I have a chicken leg that weighs 11.5 ounces or 326 grams, what's a rough estimate of how much of that counts as meat and how much of it is bone? I know that it would be most accurate to strip the meat off and weigh it, but I'm not interested in making that much work for myself. (I'm just proud I'm eating fresh chicken instead of frozen pizza, to be honest, haha.) I'm looking for more of a ballpark estimate. Or advice on how MFP is dealing with those calories in the app.

Replies

• hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to weigh it before and after? At least once, and then you will have a rough ratio for the legs you buy.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Really the only way to know how much meat you ate is to weigh the leg before you start eating and then weigh what's left when you are finished. The difference is how many grams you ate.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I keep a notepad near my scale for such things. Weigh the whole leg and jot down the number. When you're done, throw the bone on the scale and subtract that from the original number. Easy peasy.

Otherwise, there probably is a database entry for Chicken, leg, bone in, but it will just be an estimate of course, because chicken leg sizes can vary widely.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't eat raw chicken so that wouldn't work for me. If you really wanted to know accurately, you'd take the bone home and weigh it. And use a cooked weight, not raw.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    reread nevermind