Reading while on treadmill anyone???

Options

Replies

• OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I walk only on my treadmill, so I am able to read. Never thought of reading but once I ran out of DVDs to watch I gave my Kindle a try and it worked great.

The time went by so much faster and I had no clue how much I was walking as I was so caught up with my book :)

If I was to run, I would go back to watching DVDs again.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do try to read while on the stationary bike. :)
    But once I start going hard, I have to put it down so I can work!
  • pagalfromagra
    Options
    I do have the same issue, words seem to bounce a lot.

Few days ago I saw a product on http://weartrons.com which can help reading on a treadmill. Looking for pre-order to start.
  • mrpintobean
    mrpintobean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't read but I do listen to the radio. I find a baseball game or a good talk show and that keeps me going. I am not a fast walker, I had a hip replaced so I usually only do 3.0 MPH but if get the "go fast" feeling I will kick it up to 3.5.

I do this 3 times a day for 10 minutes per session.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I can't read when on a treadmill. Saying that, I have my phone read to me. The android system has an app called Moonreader Pro (5 dollars) that will allow me to read an epub book but uses the andoid text to speech (I like Victoria's voice using the SVOX application). It sounds like a normal human being, and you can correct pronunciation as well! Now I can do ANYTHING and still keep up with my books.

Anyone read while on their treadmill? I finally have a treadmill again.

MISSED IT...!!!

What spec you walk at?
    I usually walk at a 2.5mph - 3mph pace
    total incline

What are you reading?
    currently finishing up ""Here's The Deal - DON'T TOUCH ME" - By: Howie Mandel with Josh Young

Keep Steppin,
    Lori
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just tried it today. Walking was no problem but I really need to run. Even running slow (5 mph) my eyeballs bounce up and down 8 cm 2½ times every second. Horribly slow going. I switched by to my old standby. Episodes of Fringe downloaded to my Kindle Fire. Amazing how much easier it is to watch video than read text. I do love to listen to Audible books when I run but, as many people have mentioned, my mind wanders much more on the treadmill than just sitting in a chair at home. I am going through a CBT textbook for the fourth time and still picking up new nuggets of information each time through. Not efficient learning technique but at least I am feeding my brain and my body at the same time.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I walk at an incline of 10-11 without hanging on so I can't read and walk without seriously injuring myself
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Imo, If I'm able to read on a treadmill I'm not working out. If going at walking pace I would much rather be outside enjoying some fresh air.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    audiobooks
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I would not read on a treadmill on that incline while reading, because it would require holding on and holding on reduces calorie burn by about 30%.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    And it totally negates the incline too.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    CalJur wrote: »
    I have no time to read on the treadmill or any other cardio machine. I'm on there to workout and go at it hard. I set the incline to max (15%) and speeds of 5.2 and greater seeking to burn 1200 calories per hour or more. I see people reading while working out on various machines but that doesn't work for me. I'm drenched in sweat and full on Beast Mode. I realize its each to their own but if you are really trying to step up your game put the reading materials down and get your fav playlist blaring and get after it. The results will amaze you.

Totally this!!! I would need a book that has every single page laminated or the book would be ruined.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    never read on a treadmill, just not something i would think of. i am not in the gym for very long so i want to work hard and get out
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Old thread but good topic.

I walk at 3.2-3.5 mph depending on how I feel. I read my Kindle. I make the font really big on it. As far as what I read...pretty much nothing with any sort of literary merit. Kindle Unlimited provides me a vast number of easy to read, easy to forget books that I plow through like mad. I read anywhere from 5 to 8 books a week that way.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    audiobooks

This ^^^^^^^^

I was for many years a field service engineer and read thousands of books while driving thanks to audiobooks. (Even easier with MP3 now)

If I'm running outside I prefer carefully selected music to match my cadence though. (I'm a returner to running after 30 years so need help with a steady pace!)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Old thread but good topic.

I walk at 3.2-3.5 mph depending on how I feel. I read my Kindle. I make the font really big on it.

I sometimes do this, too. I can also put a laptop or tablet on my treadmill and work or do whatever, while walking.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To me, if you're using treadmill at low speed, better don't use treadmill at all. There's hardly any effect to it.

Normally I would go from 4.5mph to 10mph speed, switching between it when my lungs couldnt take it. Aiming for HIIT although I still lack the stamina.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's never better to sit than to walk. I think most of us who use it for walking have one at home, and can really spend some time on it. Though even if it's just 45 minutes of walking, that's several hundred calories.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I havent read on a treadmill since High School. Since I bought a Kindle Fire HD I should start though. I have over 400 unread books so I should read some of them while I work up a sweat!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »
    To me, if you're using treadmill at low speed, better don't use treadmill at all. There's hardly any effect to it.

Normally I would go from 4.5mph to 10mph speed, switching between it when my lungs couldnt take it. Aiming for HIIT although I still lack the stamina.

Different goals, different means of getting there.