Reading while on treadmill anyone???

Options
Anyone read while on their treadmill? I finally have a treadmill again.

MISSED IT...!!!

What spec you walk at?
I usually walk at a 2.5mph - 3mph pace
total incline

What are you reading?
currently finishing up ""Here's The Deal - DON'T TOUCH ME" - By: Howie Mandel with Josh Young

Keep Steppin,
Lori

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't use a treadmill, but this reminded me of the time I used to read on the elliptical. I wasn't able to focus. I read a whole book, got to the end and couldn't remember a word of it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Reading on the treadmill makes me nauseous :(

But I rarely walk on the treadmill anyway (usually doing HIIT on it), so that wouldn't really work. But I DO read on the stairmaster--it's the only way I can get through the torture. I like the Janet Evanovich books (One for the Money is the first one). They're funny, quick reads, and I can breeze through them pretty well to distract me from the fact that I'm sweating to death.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I will read while on the treadmill or elliptical, but like an earlier poster said, it's hard to concentrate. I tried reading NROLFW, but I read the same paragraph about 15 times before I finally gave up and just opened up a fictional book on my phone. It really helps make the time go by faster!
  • kibby12
    kibby12 Posts: 32
    Options
    When I used to babysit for my neighbors, I'd use their treadmill & read their Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

It was a weird combination.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I used to study flashcards for exams, which worked because I would stare at one card for the entire workout.

But...I get a better workout by listening to music, so I "read" in the car using books on CD (and repeating a lot of tracks/discs because my attention is on driving, not the book, so it takes a few times for information to sink in).
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    When I used to babysit for my neighbors, I'd use their treadmill & read their Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

It was a weird combination.

hopefully not Titus Andronicus. a.k.a. Shakespeare's Quentin Tarentino period.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I read on the elliptical, I found thath I am able to stay on it longer because I'm so into whatever book I'm reading. So glad I have the Nook on my phone, it makes it easier than turning pages. Right now (and I know I'm behind) I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I used to read while on the elliptical but the one I used was very sensitive and after about 10 minutes on Level 11 The book changed the level, dang you Hunger Games):devil: , thinking I was about to die, I have given up that. Mostly listen to music now
  • maria_jason
    maria_jason Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. However, if I am reading a good book I WILL opt to walk on the treadmill so that I can read. I've been reading the Hunger Games so needless to say, I have been walking on the treadmill lately :)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have no time to read on the treadmill or any other cardio machine. I'm on there to workout and go at it hard. I set the incline to max (15%) and speeds of 5.2 and greater seeking to burn 1200 calories per hour or more. I see people reading while working out on various machines but that doesn't work for me. I'm drenched in sweat and full on Beast Mode. I realize its each to their own but if you are really trying to step up your game put the reading materials down and get your fav playlist blaring and get after it. The results will amaze you.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Personal preference but if I'm able to read while I'm running, I'm not really running. I wait to read until after I'm done working out because I can't split my attention to both at once.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill at the gym and find it's much easier to read a magazine than a book, as it lies flat and I can let my hands swing as I walk. And I tend to read the fitness magazines there, which motivates me to keep on going. I walk at the 3.7 setting for 35 minutes with a 1.5 incline. I've been able to go longer and with more speed and incline since I started two weeks ago. I totally have to have something to occupy my mind while I walk, whether it's watching the overhead TVs or reading. Otherwise I just notice the time I still have to go. :-)
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If I am exercising in any fashion, I want to concentrate on what I"m doing because that is the whole object. For me, I don't quite get the multi-tasking, whether it is reading or talking on the phone or anything else that takes away from me getting feedback from my body. I'm not out for relaxation on the treadmill or the bike or the elliptical. I'm out to BURN some calories and I want to concentrate on all the muscles and joints that are involved. That's just me. For me, it doesn't make sense to be distracted.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my hubby reads while walking on the treadmill or doing the elliptical. he loves magazines. i used to get on facebook (and type too), but i haven't done that in years. :) i can't focus on the keys while i am running (too much bounce).
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love to read on treadmill because it's a great distraction, the only problem is i can't go faster then 3mph or I won't be able to follow the page. I use my NOOK because the backlight is easy on the eyes and it's easier to swipe to turn page then having to hold an actual book.

I just read a teeny bopper book called Prince of Wolves that my daughter told me about. I loved it. Easy read while exercising.
  • Mgrogers09
    Mgrogers09 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I burned 1100 calories in one elliptical session...and im about to expose myself for the nerd I am but...I was reading the second hunger games book... didnt even realize i had been on the machine that long....true story
  • sylwiasta
    sylwiasta Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I watch "Lost" on my tab while walking really fast 4.5mph sometimes on 2 or 3 incline. Works great!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I sometimes read on my stationary bike, right now I'm reading Dead until dark by Charlaine Harris. But most of the time I'm listening to loud music.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I LOVE reading on the treadmill. Only downside is I can't up my intensity the way I should. At most, I can do 3.5. The vibrations from going any faster cause my kindle to slip and eventually fall. BUT, I love how 45 to an hour is gone before I know it!

Currenty reading Private Pleasures...can't remember the author's name but I go through books so fast. I probably read 2 to 3 a week.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Constantly. Usually only on 'rest' days - I've also fashioned an iPad cradle out of string for my treadmill since it doesn't have a built-in book rest! I can only really read at quite a relaxed pace though - anything above 4mph and I struggle to keep my eyes on the page.