Get up, get dressed, go to gym

Options
2»

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym and refuse to go. I walk, run, cycle, ride horses, take classes (fencing, judo, whatever) but screw that aweful rubber-lined hell. The 9 lb blondes and the 900 lb body builders can have it.

Sounds as though you are intimidated by people who may be in better shape than you at the gym - the only reason I can think of for that somewhat snotty comment at the end. I started going to the gym when I was 480lbs. When I started I could do 5 min on the treadmill and that's it. I didn't care what I looked like compared to others and now I exercise 6 days a week for at least an hour, alternating swimming (with my hanging skin for all the world to see- and if they don't like it they don't have to look at me), cardio and strength training. I am no "9 lb blonde" but I am strong, confident and I work hard. Don't condem something just because you don't like it or have a stereotyped view of those who do enjoy it.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have incorporated working out as just another thing I do in life. Cooking, cleaning, showering, grocery shopping, lawn care, driving, etc... we all do these things and we all seem to find time to add more. Working out is just one more thing to incorporate into your day. There is no end date to working out just as there is no end date for any other thing we do in life. No biggie, but the benefits are priceless!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    jkestens63 wrote: »
    I hate the gym and refuse to go. I walk, run, cycle, ride horses, take classes (fencing, judo, whatever) but screw that aweful rubber-lined hell. The 9 lb blondes and the 900 lb body builders can have it.

Sounds as though you are intimidated by people who may be in better shape than you at the gym - the only reason I can think of for that somewhat snotty comment at the end. I started going to the gym when I was 480lbs. When I started I could do 5 min on the treadmill and that's it. I didn't care what I looked like compared to others and now I exercise 6 days a week for at least an hour, alternating swimming (with my hanging skin for all the world to see- and if they don't like it they don't have to look at me), cardio and strength training. I am no "9 lb blonde" but I am strong, confident and I work hard. Don't condem something just because you don't like it or have a stereotyped view of those who do enjoy it.

Absolute respect to you!!!! I remember a lady similar to you in my old gym. She worked so hard!!! I had nothing but admiration for her.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have 5 lift related goals I want to hit by the end of the year (December 31st 2016).

I have worked backwards and planned out four (roughly) three month training blocks.

Each training block contains 3 smaller blocks. Each of those contains 12 training sessions.

Each training session builds on the last and, ultimately, towards the end of the block I'm in. The next mini-block builds on this mini-block and, ultimately, towards the 3 month block. Each subsequent 3 month block and it's sub-subcomponents builds on the last, etc, etc

Missing a training session either leaves me where I was before (and therefore further from reaching my goals by year end) or, worse still, regresses me further.

It's not a case of motivation. If I want to succeed in my endeavour, then I must show up, put in the work, and do so consistently enough to progress and continue to progress. It has to be a habit.
  • mollybethtaylor
    mollybethtaylor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, mainly because I can't afford it. Instead I workout at home using youtube videos as my 'coach'. Each night I set up my workout clothes for the next day and choose the workout I'm doing. I also have a TV show that I watch while I'm rolling and stretching afterwards so it's a little bit of motivation to workout if I want to get to watch the next episode of the TV show :)
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I look back to where I started.. Then look at my current state.. And the vision of the shredded beast I'm building and I can't be stopped. It works for me.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Being part of mytransphormationstartstoday.com has been working. Yes, I have missed some days. On the days i miss I'm either doing nothing or out walking or doing at home workouts.

I do think of my 'coach' in the 1stphorm challenge. Along with the other members doing their own workouts. I don't want to let myself down or them down.

Sometimes it is planned, other times i just feel bored and like I need to do something! Stop being unproductive and just end up at the gym.

I just feel so powerful when there. Changing for the better and seeing results. Listen to your body. I have no set gym routine. I go to whichever machine i feel like doing at that time. Find what works for you. I like a mix of cardio and weight machines. I'm focused more on weights right now but I use the stationary bike for a bit of cardio. Say I'm doing pretty good but feel like stopping soon. I'll add a few minutes onto the distance, try to get a better pace, go up a few more in calories burnt etc

Think 'i can do this' or other such mantras.

Plan out days. Like you want to go 5 days with 2 rest days during the week.

Think of how far you've gone and think how far you can go.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    jkestens63 wrote: »

I am with you. No 9 pound blonde either. Enjoying being new at the gym and taking my fitness to a higher level
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, mainly because I can't afford it. Instead I workout at home using youtube videos as my 'coach'. Each night I set up my workout clothes for the next day and choose the workout I'm doing. I also have a TV show that I watch while I'm rolling and stretching afterwards so it's a little bit of motivation to workout if I want to get to watch the next episode of the TV show :)

I was the same, only joined gym recently when I got a good deal. Used fitness blender to work out almost everyday.
    I just fitted it in with the rest of my daily routine
  • mollybethtaylor
    mollybethtaylor Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I was the same, only joined gym recently when I got a good deal. Used fitness blender to work out almost everyday.

Whats fitness blender? Cant say I've heard of it...
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Whats fitness blender? Cant say I've heard of it...

i found fitnessblender through mfp. never looked back since . www.fitnessblender.com. its a free website run by husband and wife. lots of exercises for different levels.

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    4aces61 wrote: »
    No excuses, the gym is my temple for the last 2 years. I was grossly overweight and in poor health/physical condition. So 2 years ago, like many II made a new years resolution, only I stuck to it. I'm in my mid fifties and it was time to stop screwing around. My drive was/is still my family. They count on me to take care of them and that was enough to drive me. Made all the necessary changes and the hard work has paid off. It has also helped me do my job better. I'm a train mechanic and as you can imagine, mostly everything related to repair is not light. My days during the week start at 2am. I get to the gym by 245ish. Workout til 430 then off to work by 5. Work til 130pm then come home and do whatever needs to be taken care of. Dinner around 6, in bed hopefully by 7 and lights out by 8. The times do vary occasionally. The weekend if I'm not working, usually at the gym by 4-430am. I love to train early cuz there is hardly anyone in the gym so no waiting on equipment and no one to bust my groove. I train in some fashion 7 days a week. The only time I miss is something family or work related. I've been using this app for 2 years and it has helped me get where I am now.

The routine has become part of my daily life. I feel weird when I can't get in the gym. You have to want it. The only person stopping you from succeeding is you. Fit for life, no going back. Good luck to everyone who struggles, I know it's real.

You look great! Congratulations on your success and being so committed!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I worship at the church of the iron ;) Love it so much so I don't have to force myself to go.

+1
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    4aces61 wrote: »
    No excuses, the gym is my temple for the last 2 years. I was grossly overweight and in poor health/physical condition. So 2 years ago, like many II made a new years resolution, only I stuck to it. I'm in my mid fifties and it was time to stop screwing around. My drive was/is still my family. They count on me to take care of them and that was enough to drive me. Made all the necessary changes and the hard work has paid off. It has also helped me do my job better. I'm a train mechanic and as you can imagine, mostly everything related to repair is not light. My days during the week start at 2am. I get to the gym by 245ish. Workout til 430 then off to work by 5. Work til 130pm then come home and do whatever needs to be taken care of. Dinner around 6, in bed hopefully by 7 and lights out by 8. The times do vary occasionally. The weekend if I'm not working, usually at the gym by 4-430am. I love to train early cuz there is hardly anyone in the gym so no waiting on equipment and no one to bust my groove. I train in some fashion 7 days a week. The only time I miss is something family or work related. I've been using this app for 2 years and it has helped me get where I am now.

The routine has become part of my daily life. I feel weird when I can't get in the gym. You have to want it. The only person stopping you from succeeding is you. Fit for life, no going back. Good luck to everyone who struggles, I know it's real.

You look great! Congratulations on your success and being so committed!

Thank you
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym regularly for about 6 years now. Some weeks are better than others. Eventually my body learned to need the gym and my mind has followed. If I skip the gym too long my back starts to hurt, my stress levels rise and I feel crappy. Working out has become integral to my well being. That being said, if you don't enjoy the gym then find another activity to raise your heart rate. There are plenty of ways to workout without setting foot in a gym. Good luck!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The best part of the gym.....?
    That feeling when I LEAVE, lol!
    I decide not to wear ugly, oversize, dingy pajama shirts when working out!
    I take it a few minutes at a time when doing cardio.
    And if you wear lipstick to make you feel good at the gym or cute gym clothes to help with motivation then by all means do whatever is right for you!
    Good music helps me the most.