Sauces and Dressings?

Options
Fayve
Fayve Posts: 411 Member
Hi guys!

I wanted to see if I could get a few ideas from y'all on different sauces and dressings that you like to use, mainly for dinners (or anything really!). I'm a culinary student, but I'm having the hardest time thinking outside of the box from butter and flour-based saucse that really aren't low-calorie whatsoever! Beyond that, my sauces tend to come from powdered packages, which are awful for sodium!

What are your favourite sauces when it comes to starches (rice, pastas?), or even on top of your meats. Or do you tend to go dry? I'm a huge mustard fan (not dijon), so that's usually what goes on top of my chicken or beef if I'm not making a sauce.

On a similar note, what are some of your favourite dressings? As well as loving mustard, I love vinegar just as much, so I'm totally grooving on just drizzling some red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar without any added oils, but it can get a little boring.

If you have any ways that you like to 'spice' up your meals without adding a lot of calories, I'd love to hear them as well. Thanks!!

Replies

• kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I don't do sauces really. I like to use garlic and onion in things....everything really....lol.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love vinaigrettes! Especially balsamic on steaks.. Oh my goodness. With garlic and shallots.
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    I tend to use tomato based sauces... like salsa on potatoes/rice/chicken. I love fresh herbs too. Fresh basil/chives/sage/parsley ( or whatever your favourites are ) taste good added to almost anything!
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    My latest thing is mixing a little capsicum or sundried tomato hummus with boiling water to thin it out a bit then drizzle that over salad - delicious over roast veges too! :)
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have like 10 different vinegars and several oils in my cabinet. Perel is where I get most of them but I pick up stuff whenever I travel.
    Additionally I mix things like trader joe's sweet chili sauce with other liquids, mustard mixed with a bit of tarragon and fage non'fat yogurt (or even better, soy sour cream for a low calorie cream sauce)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I like to blend a couple of peeled soft peachs
    with 1/4 cup molassis 2 tlbs mustard and 1 cup
    of water, make a very good bbq sauce with out
    the sodium, quick and easy 1/2 cup about 45 cal
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    I put salsa on a lot of things. Eggs, salads, chicken, fish. It's not too high in calories and it tastes wonderful !
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've recently fallen in love with the Kraft Asian Sesame dressing. I use it on most chicken and salads, but its just fantastic!
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Awesome, these are just the kind of ideas I was looking for. Thanks everyone :)
  • itsfrananne
    Options
    Roll beef in mustard and pepper, cook then slice and serve, lovely :)
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you like balsamic vinegar, I love to puree some frozen blueberries or raspberries with it and a little olive oil and it makes a really yummy vinaigrette.

Also, for rice or chicken or whatever, you can try making a coconut curry sauce...so yummy. I take a can of light coconut milk, some curry powder or paste, red chili flakes, some cinnamon, a little agave nectar for some sweetness, some garlic and ginger, and it makes the perfect little sauce.
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Low fat sour cream is fairly low in calories, and I have been thinking of trying tzatziki (sp?) as well since it is low in calories. I also love mustard!
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Pureed cooked veggies (like onions, peppers) can add body to a sauce when you don't want to waste calories on a roux.
  • spanglish
    spanglish Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Low fat sour cream is fairly low in calories, and I have been thinking of trying tzatziki (sp?) as well since it is low in calories. I also love mustard!

I make a lazy version of tzatziki sauce to eat with meat, pasta, veggies... anything really. Just stick a chopped up cucumber, a clove of garlic and a pinch of salt in the blender with a little bit of plain yogurt and whatever spices you want (I usually go with a dash of cumin). It's not as creamy as the real stuff, but it's quick, easy and tasty, and you're basically using a vegetable as your sauce.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For pasta definitley tomato based sauces - either with lots of garlic and herbs or a puttanesca but going easy on the oil.

For meats you're better off making stews and curries which use the flavours of the meat to flavour the sauce.

My favourite lowfat salad is (if you like chilli!) Is to mix onions, green chilli, coriander leaves, salt and lime juice. Mix with your hands to break down the onions a bit. Add thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumber and check salt. It's really tasty and whenever I've made it for friends they're always blown away...you don't need to make it too hot - green chillies are very aromatic too.

Low fat creme fraiche or 0% Greek yoghurt mixed with Hellman's mayonnaise andhorseradish for a potato salad dressing.

Good luck!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Japanese dipping sauce (Good for stir fries, grilled chicken/fish or used as a salad dressing)-
    Equal parts soy sauce (use low sodium) and rice vinegar, add some chopped chilli for a kick.

Nuoc Cham- virtnamese dipping sauce/salad dressing.
    Raw carrot (about 1/4 carrot) chopped into tiny chunks
    1 red chilli, chopped v.finely
    1 tsp granulated splenda
    Lime juice (about 1 tbsp)
    Rice vinegar (about 1 tbsp)
    Water (about 2 tbsp)

Chinese 5 spice powder, mixed with a little water and squeeze of honey = amazing dressing/ stir fry sauce.

Low fat/ fat free yoghurt mixed with lemon juice & mint (or a couple of tsp mint sauce) is a lovely dressing

Low sodium beef stock (bouillion) + crushed black peppercorns+ low fat creme fraiche= absolutley delish creamy peppercorn sauce for meat.

Wholegrain mustard + lemon juice + low fat creme faiche + tarragon= Creamy mustard sauce that is amazing with chicken or pork.

Home made apple sauce- stew down some apples with a pinch of sugar/splenda (you get to control the sweetness) and a little water. Lovely with pork.

Extra light cream cheese + Garlic + herbs. Melted down= creamy cheesy pasta sauce.

Teryaki marinade- great for salmon/chicken/beef.

Curry pastes- whether indian or thai, you can get some really flavourful ones for low cals. Use these as marinades/toppings for grilled fish/ chicken/ shrimp or veggies.

Pesto- a little goes a long way. You can buy reduced fat pestos, use them with pasta or mix into cous cous/quinoa. Or- mix with low fat/fat free natural yoghurt for an AMAZING salad dressing. Or top fish fillets/stuff chicken with a little pesto.
  • gibbonm
    gibbonm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • doodlebug1966
    Options
    bump for later reading.