How many lbs to lose until it's noticeable?

Options
I am 5'2 started at 235 and now I am 220 and so far lost 1 inch. Sometimes I notice a difference but other times I don't. My goal weight is 135 so I need about 85lbs to go but how long until it is noticeable for me and others?

Replies

• motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Lol I'll let you know when I get there! I'm a shorty too...last weigh in I was 215 and I started at 235 (I started before I ever stepped on the scale so I'm sure it was higher), so I've lost 20 lbs and I can't tell.

I take measurements so I know I have lost inches, and clothes I couldn't squeeze my fat butt in I can now fit so I know that I'm getting smaller. But to me...I honestly think I look the same. I've tried the whole picture thing and I can't really see any difference. Coming online is where I actively discuss my attempt at weight loss....no one in my "real" life per se knows that I'm actually trying but no one has said anything like oh have you lost weight? So I'm guessing it's probably not noticeable to anyone else either.
  • katy_2810
    katy_2810 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Losing 15 pounds is awesome! It is difficult to say as it depends on a lot of factors like height, shape, what exercise you do and your clothes. I notice a lot by clothing to be honest! Make sure to keep a record of measurements of all areas of your body. Last week I went out drinking for the first time this year and I put on a pound but lost 1 1/2 inches in different places so it was probably water weight!

My advice would be to do resistance training 3 times a week not just cardio - there's a tonne of research to back it up :)

Keep up the good work!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I started at 248 and it took 25 pounds (4-5 months) for others to notice
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 19, 5ft and started at 211.8lbs. I am now down to 199.8lbs although I fluctuate between 199.8lbs and 201lbs. My goal weight is 120/130lbs. I've noticed there's a big difference in my hips/thighs. So far I've lost 2 inches off my left thigh, 1 inch off my right thigh and 4 inches off my stomach. I haven't noticed a difference in my stomach yet. I think everyone is different and I've read posts that some people have said they've seen a difference at 5lbs, some say 10 and one said they didn't notice a difference until they lost 25lbs. Good luck!!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost a significant amount of weight it was at about 20 lbs when people started noticing. This year I've gone from 254 to 233 (21lbs) and no one has said anything yet. I sure notice the difference though. It doesn't hurt my feet so much to work 12 shifts, I can fit into a size XXL scrub instead of XXXL!

My wife has noticed one of my stomachs (the one above the belt) is smaller. Maybe TMI?

When people did start saying something they said they had noticed earlier but didn't want to say anything until they were sure. I think you're pretty close to the compliment stage. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your body type. do you have any clothes that are a bit tight for you. maybe a pair of pants that currently will not zip. you could use them as a measure...