discouraged and disappointed

Options
Im 54, been overweight all my adult life. For my birthday last October, I decided to try this weight loss thing again. So far I think Im doing good, gone from 252 - 207 pounds. Today I thought I would pop a dvd in and try an aerobic workout, made the warm up part and had to stop. After being heavy for so long it has taken a toll on my joints. I sat and cried for an hour kept thinking of giving up. Then signed into my fitbit account and looked at all the progress I have made in under 4 months feeling better now, but I was close to calling it quits. Thanks for listening, still fighting and now have a new goal to work towards.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what is working for you. And celebrate your accomplishments. <3
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    You must not give up. After running for years while in the military - my knees are just not my friends anymore... I completely relate to your situation.
    I now walk. No aerobic, no jogging. Just walking - lots. And swimming - lightly. You can do this do not be discouraged! As you get lighter you will get more mobile. Believe in yourself!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. You've reviewed your progress. If you continue to follow your own star as you have been you will achieve even more. Just think had you not started when you did you probably still would be where you were.

Thinking of those joints, for many of us if our muscles were stronger the joints would not hurt as much. Could you possibly try swimming, exercise with out carrying your weight. In my experience no one really cares what you look like in the pool, they are fretting about themselves. If swimming's not possible just moving will improve muscle strength. You could try walking, it has less impact on the joints. You may be able to find some jell insoles to put inside supporting shoes, which should help, if you can't manage walking trainers.

Its not how much you do, only that you try. It all helps.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the great success you've had! And if that's your actual pic, and you are actually 54, congrats on that too! ;) Please don't be discouraged! Many of my MFP friends and I have joint issues, a couple having had, or in need of, knee replacements and we all actively use Leslie Sansone dvds. You didn't mention what type of aerobics you tried, but L.S. are "walking" dvds- actually low-impact aerobics (one foot always in contact with the floor)- and are gentle on the joints. Just find something that works for you! :)
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!!! Do what you can without pain. Remember, weight loss really comes from diet, not exercise. Just move as much as possible and the more weight you lose, the easier it will be on your joints. Maybe try some light weights with movements that don't require a lot of stress on your joints and go slow.................
  • CER1961
    CER1961 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thak you for all the support. Just got home with new walking shoes, going to give them a try on the treadmill.
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! Your progress is amazing and you've worked hard for it! Add me if you need an extra friend for support. I know how hard this is as I've already gone through weight loss surgery and ten years later I'm struggling again. You got this!!!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Almost 7 years ago ,when I first started aikido on the advice of a friend, I was 39 years old, 285 pounds with bad knees and asthma and just really really out of shape. An hour of class would leave me soaked with sweat. It poured off of me. I panted like an overheated dog through the whole thing and was incredibly sore for three days after each class. I pulled muscles in my groin learning to fall and roll. I strained muscles in my shoulders. about a year into it I tore a meniscus in my right knee, making my knee problems much worse. I was so sore I could barely get out of bed in the morning and the pain was often indescribable.

Being a very overweight, large breasted female made wearing an all white outfit pretty uncomfortable. Finding uniforms that fit was difficult. I was clumsy and had difficulty keeping my body parts going in the right directions. It was kind of embarrassing. I felt about as out of place as a whale in a kiddie pool. Just deciding to walk into a dojo, a place I had never been and to be in close physical contact with people I didn't know took every ounce of courage I had. I was so far out of my comfort zone in every respect that it was a wonder I continued. My teachers told me recently that they did not expect me to last more than two or three classes before I quit.

I can't really explain why but somehow I toughed it out. I was determined. And I was learning and feeling things that, despite the discomfort, were new and wonderful and making me feel a little better about my life. I tested and achieved first degree black belt last June.

Today I am 245 and working on continuing to lose. My weight stalled out around 276 for quite a while until I learned about MFP and started getting food under control. Today I can easily train through two hours of class in which I a usually the teachers main demonstration uke. I get thrown repeatedly many times in a row and don't get winded. I am never sore after a class. I have done weekend seminars where I trained for 8 hours over 3 days and still had the gas to go to two more hours of class in my own dojo on Sunday night.

Anyway. I hope my example can encourage you. Okay you only did the warm up. A few months ago I bet you could not even do that. So do the warm up every day. Do the warm up until it does not make you that tired and then do a little more. Nobody will know what point you stopped at since you are doing this in the privacy of your home.

You have come so far already. You can do anything you put your mind to.
    :smile:
  • macquilts
    macquilts Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't give up! You CAN do it! I started working out May 1, 2015. I was so out of shape I spent the entire 30 minute DVD marching around the room trying to catch my breath. I had so switch up to a different program for 60 days to just get ready to exercise. Now I'm 65 pounds lighter and have almost masted that original program!

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I am 54 too and my knees and back and hip are not happy campers with most exercise from years of dancing and yoga. But I am going to keep on trying and hope you will too. Add me if you like ! I need to lose about 30 lbs and have been stalled for a year!
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    CER1961 wrote: »
    Thak you for all the support. Just got home with new walking shoes, going to give them a try on the treadmill.

Sometimes you NEED a good hard cry. Just let it all out. Reassess, go buy some new shoes and get back to it!! Good for you!! ::hugs::
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    lol. I'm 29 and there are workout videos I can't get through, don't feel too bad.