980 calories a day

Options
Hello all,my daily allowance is set at 980 calories a day. I have it set to lose 2 lbs a week and little exercise. I don't always lose 2 lbs per week,but usually keep my calories around that amount. I will say it is tough to keep the 980 calorie goal. From all that I have read,this is a very low calorie allowance. Myfitnesspal set it,I did not. Thoughts???

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Contact customer support because there's something wrong with your account.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If MFP set it is, it is a glitch. The site does not typically set to less than 1200 calories.

MFP also expects you to add exercise in but 980 is too low regardless.

@Alex?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There was a glitch before that set people below 1200 but I just tried and it won't let me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Second what they both said. Plus, if you're getting 1200 or less at 2 pounds per week, then that goal is going to be too aggressive for you. You'll probably be better off changing it to 1 pound a week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've ended up with below 1200 due to Fitbit's negative adjustments but not as a base goal. (And I'd never eat that low even with the negative adjustment. )
  • lauraebenavides
    lauraebenavides Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy to eat less than 1200/day, it will mess up ypur metabolism and you are not going to get all the nutrients you need to be healthy. Contact customer support.
  • mommy0502
    mommy0502 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1cn7pqk18tlc.png

There is a screen shot of my daily page. Thank you all. I will be contacting someone
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Even if what it set is a glitch (which it is) you're still eating only 2/3 of it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    980 is far too low. You will not get the nutrients you need eating that little, and it will result in excessive loss of lean mass. Even 1200 is often too low for most people.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How long have you been eating so little? I would be miserable living off of shakes.
  • mommy0502
    Options
    I usually eat a better dinner that that night,but I wasn't hungry because there was so much going on. I do the shakes for breakfast and lunch but eat dinner so that wasn't a normal day.
  • mommy0502
    Options
    I really appreciate your alls advice thank you
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    mommy0502 wrote: »
    I usually eat a better dinner that that night,but I wasn't hungry because there was so much going on. I do the shakes for breakfast and lunch but eat dinner so that wasn't a normal day.

Wait a min... so you are only eating 980 calories daily? How long have you been eating so little? Have you lost any weight?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You need more than just more calories; you need more real food variety!
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Whoa must have been a glitch! The lowest starting point I have ever seen on here is 1200. And that even seems too low. With personal daily goals in mind of course, this is only my opinion. But I have been on all kinds of diets and the only thing that yields lasting results is something sustainable long-term. And a mere 1200 cals/day won't cut it for me. And now I am starting to hit the heavy weights to continue my transformation and lose the last 13lbs. (Can't imagine eating so little and lifting heavy.) I understand wanting to lose weight fast, but be careful not to damage your body during.
  • StephaniexWins
    StephaniexWins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Even 1,200 is unhealthy for most people. My bmr would be 1,500 alone if I was 150 and I am 5'10. I wish people would stop starving themselves. And just because MFP says so doesn't make it right.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    1cn7pqk18tlc.png

There is a screen shot of my daily page. Thank you all. I will be contacting someone

Where's the food?? :/
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    MFP scolds me if I try to finalize my day without hitting at least 1200. I get migraines once in a while and sometimes I just can't eat very much.
    You can go in to your 'goals' section and set it manually to a higher intake, a healthier one.
    You can try some of the BMR/TDEE calculators online to figure out what a healthy intake might be for you.
  • mommy0502
    Options

Wait a min... so you are only eating 980 calories daily? How long have you been eating so little? Have you lost any weight?

Yes I have lost weight. I've been doing it off and on for a couple of years.
  • mommy0502
    Options
    I am going to change things and make it a 1200 a calorie day intake. I do the shakes because they are convient and good and I'm getting some nutrition. Mornings are busy trying to get my girls off to school and to work and lunch time I come home,let my dog out and go back to work,there's just not much time for food prep,but I am going to start throwing in some snacks to get to 1200 calories. I hardly ever drink pop,maybe once a week and don't eat much sugar.