Averaging calorie count over 2 days?

Hi there! Ing thing that really helped me with weight watchers is that if I went over one day I could use my extra weekly points or compensate the next day. Can we do the same with fitness pal?

E.g. If I went to 1400 one day and kept to 1000 the next day thus averaging to my goal of 1200, is that ok? It Soulja seem so buy I just wanted to check.

Thanks!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Several people look at the weekly total even. Run a slightly lower count the rest of the week and have a few extra calories for the weekend.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    I do this regularly. I've averaged it over a few days too. I know someone who averages it monthly, so yep, I think it's fine.
  • dcsandpiper
    dcsandpiper Posts: 3 Member
    Cool! Thanks! Would be nice if MFP tallied up the weekly points!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Cool! Thanks! Would be nice if MFP tallied up the weekly points!

I think there's an option to do this on the app. I use the website, so not a great source for you on that one.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    Yes there is.

Go to nutrition then at bottom of page click 'weekly' Beginning of week it tells you how many calories for the week and then each day how many are left and what each day has been and what the daily average is.

You can make your week count from whichever day you like. I can't remember how to do this though as I set mine to start on Mon ages ago and haven't tried to change it.
  • paperpudding
    At least thats how it works on iPad app - I presume it is same on other devices.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Or you can cheat and log those extra calories into "tomorrow" diary muahhahaha
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I look at weekly calories on the app and often"bank" them during the week for more cals on the weekend. Tomorrow I have about 800 extra which will be good because we are having heart shaped pancakes, baking cookies, and making lobster mac n cheese for dinner...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Yes there is.

Go to nutrition then at bottom of page click 'weekly' Beginning of week it tells you how many calories for the week and then each day how many are left and what each day has been and what the daily average is.

You can make your week count from whichever day you like. I can't remember how to do this though as I set mine to start on Mon ages ago and haven't tried to change it.

Thanks for that, @paperpudding !

I've been using MFP for 310 days straight, and I hadn't found that yet! So many bells and whistles!

OP, this is called "the TDEE method" (you might have heard about it).

I'd wondered how the people that follow that method kept track of things. I thought they must use pen and paper or a lot of guesstimation!

• paperpudding
    I don't follow the TDEE Method - I follow MFP's method of net calories for slightly active and then add exercise calories.
    The weekly app records your net calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I don't follow the TDEE Method - I follow MFP's method of net calories for slightly active and then add exercise calories.

Good to know, @paperpudding

What's the difference?

Cheers.
  • paperpudding
    What's the difference between TDEE and MFP methods?

MFP one sets daily activity level( from sedentary, lightly active etc) and then adds any additional exercise calories to increase the eatable calories for the day.

Eg say my starting amount is 1700 and I burn an additional 100 calories doing exercise, I can eat 100 more calories that day.
    My net calories is still 1700 but I can eat 1800.
    if I do no exercise they stay at 1700.

TDEE, as far as I understand it, you work out your average daily calories including exercise from an external site and eat that amount every day (on average); your average exercise is already factored in.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

There actually is also an option to look at total calories in that same section, not just net, if a person is using the TDEE method. I use it to compare my average total daily calories to FitBits total average calories burned about once a week even though I follow the MFP way of eating back exercise cals and a net total.