What's with daily weigh-ins?

Options
I have noticed a lot of people doing daily weigh-ins. Does your weight really fluctuate that much in a 24 hour period?

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates quite a bit. Usually around 1 pound or 1.5 pounds, but if exposed to gluten, them 3 pounds or a little more. Enough to be painful!

I weigh every day because it helps me focus. I need extra external anchors to focus. ADHD runs in the family, and while I'm not diagnosed, working with my kid has really shown me my weaknesses. Or realities. Whatever. ;)
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Yup! If I don't weigh daily I miss my "lowest weight" for the week. I could loose weight all week, eat something high in sodium and register a 2-3 pound gain in time for weigh in day. Without daily weighing, I would see no loss and get discouraged. By weighing daily I know the random 2-3 extra is just water bloat.

• katieboo93_
    katieboo93_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes - although if you are going to weigh daily I would highly recommend getting an app such as "Happy Scale". It allows you to input your weight for the day and then shows it on a graph. It irons out fluctuations due to water etc I suppose. I find it useful.
  • katieboo93_
    katieboo93_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    wva7bdb97lif.jpg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,723 Member
    Options
    Libra --> Android
    Happy Scale --> Iphone
    www.trendweight.com --> Supported scale; free fitbit.com account integration (no device needed)
    www.weightgrapher.com --> Manual logging, supported scale; free fitbit.com account integration (no device needed)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yup

Trendweight synch

rg8ibm9k0een.jpeg
    6arou9870ygl.jpeg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It I didn't weigh daily the fact that my weight is currently 3-5lbs over last week (and the last 11 months) would worry me
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE Trendweight. If I saw too high of a fluctuation months ago I would have freaked out and immediately cut calories. Because of Trendweight, I know the exact times of the month to expect spikes and I can predict my weight after a high sodium day within 0.2 pounds. It's helped me really know the ins and outs of my body and I love the reading/seeing the data.

4w.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want an accurate trend then the more data points the better.

It's also very educational for many people to understand their normal daily/weekly/monthly fluctuations to take away the emotional impact of seeing a change in weight which is has no relationship with recent calorie intake.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm exactly the opposite. I can go weeks without weighing myself. I lean much more heavily on measurements to tell me if I've lost or not (Hips, waist, thighs, etc)
  • katkiv22
    katkiv22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Even just starting I love having all the extra data. The fluctuations don't freak me out. I'm off to check out Trendweight, thanks for the rec!
    The other part to the equation is that if I don't start a daily habit I will forget to weigh myself at all. Not the end of the world, but again I like the extra data!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Every bodies weight fluctuates every day. Body weight isn't stagnant.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Another +1 for trend weight, very impressed by its accuracy. It estimated, from my weight loss alone, that I was at an average 917 calorie deficit each day, whilst my MFP nutrition puts me at 857 calories under each day, which is impressively accurate to me, given that we know it's always going to be difficult to accurately gauge calories burnt through exercise.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I too like to see the new lows and don't let the bobbles bug me. I weigh every day & use fitbits weekly average as my official weight. It really reveals the trend. And I am such a naughty monkey I erase every week's one highest weight because that usually just reflects water retention, etc. and take the six day average. It is incredibly empowering & cathartic to to toss out that annoying highest weight every week. I look forward to it!!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    no, weight doesn't fluctuate daily, unless ure speaking about water weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    no, weight doesn't fluctuate daily, unless ure speaking about water weight.

If you have a way to weigh yourself without your water weight, I'll invest... ;)
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I wish i could try this but every inch of my house leans in some direction and my scale likes to ge off by a pound or three.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day today. I giant 2-5 pounds between 7am and noon every day! I've tested it only a couple of times, but I see it all the time when I weigh in with my trainer, later In the day than when I weigh at home. Obviously it's water weight not fat or muscle, but it's all the same to the scales.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can gain-lose as much as 5 pounds in a 24 hour period depending on hormones, physical activity, dehydration, and sodium consumption. I weigh daily so I just have to pay attention to the general trend.